over fill a low pressure steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, the hydro for an LP120 is 4000psi, not 4400. 2400 x 5 / 3.
Secondly, a 120 at 3000 is not 170cu' it's 136cu'
Thirdly, i'd put 4k in that tank without blinking an eye, too...

My example was with a Faber LP120 which fills to 2640psi. I don't see anything wrong with my math. :D

the 2640 is with the + rating, but the actual fill pressure on that is 2400.

I guess that's why I own a pair of old steel 100Lp It's not to hard to find a shop that that won't fill them to at least to 3500psi. I guess in the Great Pacific Northwest we just call more bottom time/more fun!!:D You do know that the US DOT governs the working pressure of these vessels and in most of Europe these same tanks are filled to working pressure 4000PSI.

Reactions: Jax
the 2640 is with the + rating, but the actual fill pressure on that is 2400.

Wouldn't they fill it 10% higher in hydro as well, to justify the + stamp?
I'm splitting hairs really. I didn't realize that till later.

Wouldn't they fill it 10% higher in hydro as well, to justify the + stamp?
I'm splitting hairs really. I didn't realize that till later.

The plus rating is based on elastic vs permanent expansion, rather than running the hydro at a higher pressure.

There's nothing wrong with cave fills, at least the reasonable ones. I don't like pushing LP tanks past 3200 or so. I always found it amusing during my cave training that every single aspect of the training was dedicated toward safety..... except tank pressure.

The bigger question I have about whether you should buy those tanks ($200 is not really a great price, but isn't ridiculous either) is how tall your friend is. I used to dive with those tanks. I'm about 6 feet tall and they hit my legs when I kicked. The tanks are huge and heavy. Make sure they can be handled comfortably before buying them. Mine are now used only for banking oxygen.

There's nothing wrong with cave fills, at least the reasonable ones. I don't like pushing LP tanks past 3200 or so. I always found it amusing during my cave training that every single aspect of the training was dedicated toward safety..... except tank pressure.

The bigger question I have about whether you should buy those tanks ($200 is not really a great price, but isn't ridiculous either) is how tall your friend is. I used to dive with those tanks. I'm about 6 feet tall and they hit my legs when I kicked. The tanks are huge and heavy. Make sure they can be handled comfortably before buying them. Mine are now used only for banking oxygen.
because there's no impact on safety

Burst disc? Why use that when a piece of lead crammed in the burst disc port will do nicely. I mean, if you're going to ignore the designing engineers safety recommendations, go for it. Don't be a pussy.

Burst disc? Why use that when a piece of lead crammed in the burst disc port will do nicely. I mean, if you're going to ignore the designing engineers safety recommendations, go for it. Don't be a pussy.
im no pussy. mine are all steel

My burst disks are 5250's. That works great for 4k fills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom