over weighting death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RadRob,

Do you mean stun or Knock-out?

Sorry, I've only been diving for three years, but I don't see how rendering someone unconscious helps.

I'm not starting anything, but I tend to agree with catherine and the others.

catherine96821:
It's not that easy to knock somebody out......

Nah, I see it on TV all the time. One punch and they're out.
Of course when I tried it the guy got back up and beat the crap out of me.....

RadRob:
What I was trained to do was taught by the fire associations all over the country, not a diving agency. Rescues done by firefighters by far outnumbers any diving agency so I think they have the knowledge and experience. I will stick with them.

Can you give a reference? What agency is your training through? Years back I had some involvement in the training of FD and PD dive team members and I never came across anything like that.
Obviously you have never done a rescue in rough water, or swift water, or anything other than pristine diving conditions.

I don't even get to dive in pristine diving conditions. LOL
I don't just rescue people who are diving. I rescue boaters on lakes, people swept away in flash floods, people swept away after falling into a river, etc. When you get more experience with this, let me know. I do this several times a month, so trust me, I've been around the block a time or two.

Really. Maybe you could tell us about a rescue or two where punching the victim helped to control a panic situation? Several times a month? What department are you with?

Get more experience at what, punching people?
Contraindicated? Maybe the word is contradicting that you are looking for?

I see this has been explained to your already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine96821
It's not that easy to knock somebody out......

Hank49:
Nah, I see it on TV all the time. One punch and they're out.
Of course when I tried it the guy got back up and beat the crap out of me.....

I did see one movie that was more realistic. One guy takes his gun and knocks the other guy over the head. The guy who got hit then turns around and says "OUCH! whachya do that for?"

Miami_Diver:
Fully inflate you BC before you jump in and non of this would have occured.I still do it after ten years.

Weight yourself properly and there's no need to inflate your BC prior to entry.

bobcatdiver:
I hate went you blame OUT of STATE divers for coming to FL. and not being qualified divers, I'm from Ohio and dive with a group of divers also from Ohio who have dived all around the world. And I'm sure many of them have more oceans dives under their wetsuits than some of the you locals in the Keys. In fact I'm sure of it because the last time down in March my dive buddy and I had to help a LOCAL out of the water after she panicked. Don't blame the OUT of STATE divers blame it on poor training.

Without going through the whole thread (and I see that some of you have been going though this the whole way) My question is was this person a "vacation" only diver? Or an experienced diver that just lost it? Not everyone is as into this sport as most of us that sit here and "cyber-dive" when we're on the surface...some people just don't like diving in anything other than warm oceans when they are on vacation...bottom line! The big question I would ask is what was the last date in this persons log? Should they have had a refresher or at least a check out dive? (I know, only 25 feet of water)

I know that when I get down to the Keys in November I'm in definate need of a weight check, I've been diving at home in a 7mm, hood, gloves etc. with a steel 119...Down there I'll be using the 3mm, if I take my own tanks, I need to know, if I use what's there (al80's mostly) I have an idea of what I used when I was there Jan 2006, but I'm sure it's not the right weight for me now...I'm also going to make sure that dive 1 & 2 are on "the bunny slope" so I can work out the rust of my ocean chops. (been diving fairly regularly at home, should have many more in before we leave)

Walter:
Weight yourself properly and there's no need to inflate your BC prior to entry.

Maybe...but it would have helped a lot in this case....

RadRob:
What I was trained to do was taught by the fire associations all over the country, not a diving agency.

Speaking as a member of the 4th largest municipal fire department in North America, I can't say as I've ever been taught to punch a victim. It's not mentioned in IFSTA. Can't find it in Brady's. It's not in my department's training manual or SOGs, or anything from the OFM and I don't remember seeing it in any American Heat video I've ever seen.

For reference, my station is 1st in on one of two substantial rivers running through our jurisdiction. Our department includes a pair of fireboats and a station on the islands bounding the harbour, so we have ample exposure to water hazards. Cliffs along the eastern shores and some of the busiest highways in North America provide ample other opportunities for other types of rescue.

In addition to panicked people, I've been assaulted by everything from drug-crazed addicts to police dogs in my 20 year career. Sometimes I've found it necessary to physically restrain people for either their safety or my own. But I've never, ever been justified in striking anyone for any reason.

If your department is training you to punch people on such a regular basis, perhaps your department needs to re-evaluate it's methods and training. I cannot imagine how it could possibly be so necessary. To quote Isaac Asimov: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom