Overweight Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting into diving getting ready to take a class actually. But due to my size I figured I would get my own gear rather than hoping the rental gear fits. I realize I'm going to need a custom made wet suit, but the big problem is most of the normal bcd's I have looked at are too small. I've looking at the backplate systems with airwing bc. I think this would be easier to tailor to my size. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I started down this road a few years ago, like yourself, and I'll only post this, just to provide a little motivation about how diving can influence and effect your life. Because I think hope is a very powerful motivator.

3343550843_46efe1c7b8_o.jpg

I started at first w/ 2 custom wetsuits, a 3mm and a 7mm... a Scuba Pro XXL BC w/ a Cummerbund extension, and then into a custom drysuit when I caught the bug up in cold water.

If I did it again; I would have started w/ a backplate & wing setup, as it was size independent... you can always cut off excess webbing or easily replace it when worn, in addition, if you have ANY desire to get into deeper, and or technical diving, you'll be going that route eventually... So why go through iterations of gear?

I think you'll find diving to be a very freeing experience. You'll want to take things easy, as others have mentioned for cardiovascular reasons, but compared to other physical activities, its liberating to have the weight not trudge you down. air consumption will get better with practice and exercise.

For me, it was the motivation to step away; from the keyboard, tv, bar and go out and live life... Hope it has the same impact on you...

-Tim

Ok..no one has really checked this out...how big are you? Size is a relative term..I know people I outweigh by 100 lbs that think they are overweight.

I'm 310. I've been diving for almost 5 years and am in better shape than some people half my weight, so size isn't an issue with this sport if you are in decent condition and can stand a good cardio work out for 30-60 minutes who cares what you weigh!

I picked up a good size Akona wetsuit that fit me rather nicely and I didn't need modifications. Check Leisurepro.com or a local shop for their suits and depending on the size you may find something that fits, they go up to a 5XL...again, we don't know your stats. (or I missed them in previous posts)

If you are concerned about BCD size, and nothing seems to fit..consider the backplate and wing style. You can adjust the straps to someone twice my girth and not need to worry about finding cummerbund extensions. If you are just starting out,you may as well go with the best! (AND if you lose weight, you can adjust it and not need to get something SMALLER!)

But if anything realize this...divers half my size will suck down a tank in no time at all when they are new. So don't let that bug you yet. Sure 100's, 120's and 130's give you a lot more gas, but once you stop worrying about your air consumption, and start enjoying the dive, you'll be using an 80 with no effort on a 60 minute reef dive. When you're new to ths sport you WILL be a 'hoover', but it happens...

But like Tim above said, just walk away from the stuff that keeps you out of shape and start living! You'll see some really cool stuff!!! (and feeling weightless is awesome!)

The second concern is task-loading. Dual cylinders increase the complexity of your setup. You will need an additional first stage, and the knowledge of how to set the system up properly. You will need to learn how to manipulate the valves on your isolation manifold. And ... perhaps most importantly ... you will now be carrying enough air to get yourself into a decompression situation ... one that an OW class is unlikely to prepare you to deal with safely.

He could set up doubles with a connector bar and a single valve (eliminating the second regulator and isolator).

But yah, something big like a single 130 is probably better at this point.

Or maybe a Heiser 190. At least it would take weight off his belt :p

Or maybe a Heiser 190. At least it would take weight off his belt :p

You're an evil man, Marc ... :wink:

That tank's heavier than most doubles ... and with a negative 47 lb. buoyancy, he wouldn't need a weightbelt ... in fact, he'd need a liftbag just to get off the bottom ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here is a different option that is more inline with "normal" recreational diving equipment...

Look into a Zeagle Tech BC. Zeagle's have a modular fit system where the shoulder straps and waist straps are separate componants and can be different sizes. I have several Zeagles and I usually order them with "L" shoulders and XXL waist. I have seen folks order XXXL waist. Zeagle is a pretty accomodating company and is usually willing to custom make anything you need.

Acually, I need to back up a bit. I recommend the Tech if you are cold water diving. The Tech has 65lbs of lift and big guys like us need lots of lift in cold water. If you are in warmer waters, I recommend the Ranger, it has 44lbs of lift. Zeagle makes other models, but the Tech and Ranger are their heavy-duty models. And big guys like us, also put a lot of stress on equipment.
Zeagle Systems, BCs, Regulators, and Scuba Accessories

One thing to remember about scuba equipment is the size designations don't match standard clothing size designations. Zeagle's XXL waist is really about a 4XL in clothing sizes.

Last edited:
As long as I'm mentioning traditional recreational type equipment, I can also recommend the Seasoft Pro BC. The manufacturer claims that the large-range model can accomodate divers up to 475lbs. I know the president of the company, Bruce Justinen. He's a big guy too, so his equipment is pretty accomodating to big guys. I have one of his BC's too. And it fits me quite well.
SeaSoft Scuba

I too am new to scuba diving and am also a large guy. I have had my first class and totally enjoyed it. As I read through this thread, I found out I have more questions than answers. MichiganScott indicated he is in the 350 to 375 pound range when he started to dive and had 52 pounds of weight straped to him in addition to his normal equipment. I am 360 pounds right now but only have 8 pounds of lead added to my setup to make things work. Why such a difference? I too am looking at getting my own equipment and researching the choices. Thanks for all the posts. They really help those of us who are new to scuba and trying to learn. Thanks

I would go with BP/W , when I lost 20 pounds I switched from size L to size M and my BC became a bit large and it does not secure well on my wetsuit which became marginally large as well :) But as I got the dry suite I do not have the prob with the BC :) If you can lose weight before doing any purchases do that or you will need to resell those things.

biggeek, weighting comes down to an individual's buoyancy. bone density, fat vs muscle ratios, etc can have huge impact. then when you compound that with gear choices, there are huge wide weight needs possibilities!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom