Overweight instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently, yes.

From the title of the original post, the tone was set. Whenever similar threads come up, there are the obvious comments and the subtle jabs from those more physically fit among us. I especially smile when they come from young beginner divers, like those under 40 and having less than say 800 dives. :poke:

Some day-dive operations on Roatan warn divers away from AI resorts lest they be forced to dive with pasty overweight people. It is forbidden to notice race, sex, mental issues or any other disease, but fat seems to still be open season. It's the way people are until they gain perspective in life.

If you want a quick glimpse into legal protections, just ask why the airlines haven't really started charging extra. If you can't noodle that out, ask an overweight lawyer. There is no Reverend Al for fat people, but it's only a matter of time.

To the OP: I dive with a number of XXL+ people. I would rather put myself in their hands as a diver in distress because even if they are physically stressed by their weight, they have the training and intelligence to handle the situation. That's how I make my dive buddy decisions.

The only person I ever saw doing in-water CPR (with chest compressions done like a Heimlich Manuever) was grossly overweight by any standard, but she was all alone and giving it hell.

I do not negate advice or training from someone with many, many years of diving just because they have developed a penchant for the local island beer and have disagreeable DNA.

Some people make judgements based on other criteria.

I don't think anyone is equating being fit and healthy to having more skill. But having mores skill is no excuse for being unhealthy and unfit. It may give a little bit of leeway but it's far from being an excuse. I doubt anyone here would choose the most fit unskilled diver over the more unfit yet infinitely more skilled diver. But, skill and experience can be learned an had just as weight and cardiovascular strength can be dropped and worked on. Just as you wouldn't tell a fit inexperienced diver "hey, you're in shape, you don't have to work on skills" you should be able to tell an experienced over weight diver "You should probably get back into shape a bit."

Also, we're not talking about your general endomorph who is a bit soft and roundish. We're not saying everyone has to look like a muscle magazine cover. Endomorphs have their level of fitness and fat that is perfectly medically acceptable and healthy just like Ectomorphs can be sufficiently skinny and be healthy and fit. We're talking about obese, grossly overweight, unhealthy, and unfit people. This is NEVER okay. Even for those with a genetic defect or hormone problem, that's why they try to FIX it.

You don't have doctors going, sure go ahead, eat more, gain weight, and go put excessive strain on your cardiovascular and respiratory system. It's perfectly fine.

Last I checked the ONLY doctor that's okay with that is Dr. Nick. "Hey Everybody! Remember, if you rub the food against a piece of paper and it becomes transparent, then you can eat it!"

Oh and yes, if you take up 2 seats in a plane, I think you should pay for 2 seats. As harsh as it sounds, why spread the cost around to everyone else because one person can't put down the bigmac and take a lap?

Well on race sex, mental issues or any other disease you have no influence. But being fat is because you eat far too much. (Just forget about the "hormon" or "gene" story, it is simply NOT true in 99.99 %).
Second fat alone isn't the case here. Look at the japanese Sumo wrestler. They are super flexible and have no problem to put their feet to their nose.
She not only choose to look like that, she is also unfit to do her job.
Think for a surgeon who is complete drunk. Everyone will agree that he does not need to be protected, instead he need to get fired.
A fat like an Elephant instructor who can NOT handle the situation anymore is the same. The OP told she could not handle it.

Sumo wrestlers also live on average 20 years less. And the only reason they live that long is because they are constantly training and keeping up their muscle mass. Essentially being fit within their massive body mass. As soon as they stop though....

Well, too bad I didn't know these bits of advice before I took the course. I didn't meet with the instructor, just the owner, and she said this instructor was great. The instructor wasn't just overweight but really seemed uncomfortable in the water, had a hard time moving around and really didn't seem like she was able to demonstrate much or think through anything very well. Sure, I'm a newbie and don't know anything, but, I know wht it looks like when someone is struggling to do something.

both instructors were new instructors. The guy who she was teamed with told us that. He seemd to not only be very comfortable in front of the students (I found out yesterday that he is actually a college professor too) but also moved through the water inthe pool session like he'd done this lots of times. In the open water he really looked like he moved with little effort too. My BF dives and says he knows the guy and is an awesome diver, and he knows the woman and she definitly needs some work. When the guy took over and helped us finish upt things seemed (yeah I'm a newbie:)) to go smoothly.

When I tried to talk with the owner I felt like I was blown off so I just let it go. I don't think she listens too well to anyone, even her instructors. I really feel like she just wanted to sell a class and some gear. I don't know where the "full service" was at taht I was told about.

thanks for all the input, I'll be taking classes from someone else.

......I doubt anyone here would choose the most fit unskilled diver............

What does she look like??? :D :joke:

I think we can throw all sorts of terms out there (the most unfit/unskilled or the most fit/skilled) but it really serves zero purpose. We all have a limit for our dive buddy's "conditioning". We each set those limits tbased on our education and comfort. When it comes to an instructor, I believe not only should the student have their limit (in this case they found the limit because the OP is obviously not comfortable with their instructor. HOWEVER, if they can perform ALL tasks and skills and safely/suitably measure and qualify the student's ability to perform the required skills, then I say "Waddle on up and teach away". As long as the students are safe at all times and they are getting what they should out of the class to be safe new divers. If they are not, then the Instructor should be released back into the wild for recertification (i.e. their instructor certification should be taken away). Again, in this case, it sounds as if the instructor may have had difficulties with the skills therefore....

Well, too bad I didn't know these bits of advice before I took the course. I didn't meet with the instructor, just the owner, and she said this instructor was great. The instructor wasn't just overweight but really seemed uncomfortable in the water, had a hard time moving around and really didn't seem like she was able to demonstrate much or think through anything very well. Sure, I'm a newbie and don't know anything, but, I know wht it looks like when someone is struggling to do something.

both instructors were new instructors. The guy who she was teamed with told us that. He seemd to not only be very comfortable in front of the students (I found out yesterday that he is actually a college professor too) but also moved through the water inthe pool session like he'd done this lots of times. In the open water he really looked like he moved with little effort too. My BF dives and says he knows the guy and is an awesome diver, and he knows the woman and she definitly needs some work. When the guy took over and helped us finish upt things seemed (yeah I'm a newbie:)) to go smoothly.

When I tried to talk with the owner I felt like I was blown off so I just let it go. I don't think she listens too well to anyone, even her instructors. I really feel like she just wanted to sell a class and some gear. I don't know where the "full service" was at taht I was told about.

thanks for all the input, I'll be taking classes from someone else.
FWIW - the "other" instructor is known to me (we dive together from time to time), and although I haven't seen him teach yet (as you say, he's new) I do know he's a very good diver. He's also someone who takes a mental approach to diving that I'd heartily recommend a new diver emulate.

If you're comfortable doing it, sign up for your next class with him. I always felt that he'd make a great instructor ...

.. Bob (Grateful Diver)

\
And BTW - String is absolutely correct. Checkout dives are not the place to be demonstrating skills ... that should've happened in the pool. But that's a different issue.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You mean that should have happened in "an open water site that offers swimming-pool-like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness, and depth"

Where I live the only swimming pools are full of bikinis.
Not that I mind.

Actually,
who else knows Mark S. from a little island in Thailand?
He runs a damn fine IDC (second hand), and no one complains.

No.

If its over 30 you will need to be referred where 4 site skin fold body fat measurements are taken.

A body fat of over 30% is then a fail.

snip

So there is a more reliable test if BMI calculations come to over 30.

BMI calculations are not reliable with muscular people. Nor with the elderly or young, but either of those groups will not be instructing

What does she look like??? :D :joke:

Touche. I would probably take the most fit/unskilled diver as a BUDDY and just call it a solo dive! ha ha! There's always trade offs. The better looking you are, the more forgiving people tend to be to other faults. Same goes with intelligence, skill, etc. The better you are at one thing, the more that other things tend to be overlooked a little within that realm. Oh well, as such is life.

Anyways, my rant wasn't for just diving. I mean everything in general. It's just better to be healthier and fit and it doesn't take much. I never ever want to go back to being an overweight guy who couldn't run a half mile without collapsing.

So there is a more reliable test if BMI calculations come to over 30.

BMI calculations are not reliable with muscular people. Nor with the elderly or young, but either of those groups will not be instructing

Agreed, BMI's don't take into consideration muscle mass vs body fat %.

Back
Top Bottom