OxyCheck Mach V vs. DSS LCD 30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkkchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to get my first BP/W and am deciding between the OxyCheck MachV Signature or the DSS LCD30. I am sure both would be great. I dive wet 7mm in socal and 3mm in warm water travel locations. So I am looking for a wing that has the lowest profile possible to also travel with.

Any thoughts? The center mounted hose on the DSS is a bit strange to me... but I dont speak from experience here.

Probably end up with a DSS SS plate and HOG harness. Right now I am only doing recreational diving, mostly photography.

If you're getting a DSS plate, you may like way the DSS wing attaches to the plate. The Oxy would not have the DSS method available.

Give Tobin at DSS a call and he can explain to you how the attachment and the center hose setups work.

Posted via Mobile Device

I can definitely vouch for the Oxycheq MachV and you'll find quite a few on this board that concur. A top-quality, low profile wing. I'm not sure how set you are on a DSS plate but you might want to consider a Hammerhead SS backplate. I found out about them after buying a Dive Rite Al Plate and talk about a quality plate at a great price! They use 316 stainless which is more corrosion resistant than the more commonly used 304. I don't see any reason for paying more for a plate.

Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate

Oh yeah, the model on that site is pretty easy on the eyes :)

The Oxycheq Mach V is a fine wing, I own two a 30lb and 18lb and match them with DiveRite SS and AL plates. I have not used a DSS rig before but had I known more about them when I was making the transition to BP/W it's quite likely I would have gone with them. DSS gear has a great reputation and Tobin, the owner, is a very helpful person and from what I have heard will spend a lot of time discussing with you your needs and will make recommendations based on those requirements. Buying all from DSS will likely be cheaper than mix and matching. DSS wings and plates etc are designed to work together very well. So strange as this might seem, having no personal experience with a DSS rig, if you are looking at a DSS plate and possibly a DSS wing I would go with a full DSS rig. The best person to talk to would be a)Tobin and b) DSS customers who Im sure will chime in. You wont go far wrong with either wing I'm sure. Good luck.

PS re the centre mounted inflater hose, I have not read or heard of this being a problem, personal preference? rig set up? not sure but if it was a problem Tobin would not be producing them. I do own other DSS equipment and IMO it is all well thought out quality gear.

These are both high quality wings and their similarities will far exceed their differences. However, as fisheater mentioned above, if you have a DSS plate, there are distinct advantages with going with a DSS wing as well: besides the quality and craftsmanship, Tobin puts a lot of thought into making his plates, wings and accessories function together as a coherent system, and you lose some of that when you piecemeal it (for the record, my singles wing is an Oxycheq Mark V Extreme).

I've not had a DSS wing, but I will attest to the quality and effectiveness of the Mach V. It's a fantastic wing, and very streamlined.

They're both great, why don't you buy a whole DSS set up and a whole oxycheq set up, take a few dives with each so that you can choose, and then send me the other one at a steep discount? :D

I have both wings but I have not gotten the OxyCheq wet so I can't say much about how it dives.

The DSS LCD 30 wing is a horseshoe while the OxyCheq is a torus. The DSS wing is about 2" taller and they are about the same width.

The OxyCheq wing is intended to be bolted to the backplate and the cambands loop through narrow slots. You can't remove the wing from the plate without completely unthreading the bands. Well, you could use a STA (Single Tank Adapter) but there is no reason to do so. The wing provides a couple of ridges to align and support the tank.

The DSS wing has a couple of wide windows through which the cambands are routed. The bands are threaded only through the plate. This way the wing can be easily removed from the plate and stored separately.

The DSS wing uses rubber nipples through the holes in the backplate to align the wing but not attach it. The tank holds the wing to the plate.

The DSS wing also has a couple of anti-roll blocks to keep the tank located. These are much more serious than the ridges on the OxyCheq wing. The DSS wing is not intended to be used with an STA (AFAIK).

The center outlet of the DSS wing makes venting more predictable. It also precludes using the wing with a double hose regulator. Hence the OxyCheq wing (and the HOG wing).

I am very impressed with the DSS rig. The backplate is a class act all by itself. The LCD 30 wing just adds to show.

The OxyCheq wing is somewhat less expensive (by itself). i got mine at AddHelium Oxycheq Mach V Signature Series A very good place to do business. I have also bought the OxyCheq SS backplate, SS Travel Backplate and the Ultra Lite Travel Backplate from them.

I really like that Ultra Lite backplate with an Al 50 for just relaxing in the pool. No wing, no weight belt (just a couple of pounds on the waist strap).

You will be very happy with the DSS wing. I am...

Richard

Last edited:
I know you didn't ask, and you did not indicate what tank you use, but why the SS plate over the Al plate. The Al plate is a good solution with a single steel tanks and it takes about 4 lb less of your flying weight allowance. If weight allowance is not a concern, then the steel plate is probably your better choice since you are always wearing a fair amount of neoprene.

Back
Top Bottom