OxyCheck Mach V vs. DSS LCD 30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another Mach V user that is very happy with it's performance.
As for the DSS I stay away from non standardized components in general so the differing wing mounting system was enough to knock it off my shopping list.

I have the DSS SS plate and LCD30, At home in SoCal wet or dry I use the optional 8lb plate weights for perfect trim (and then I only need 12lbs on my belt dry, 8lb on the belt wet). When I'm in Hawaii or Cozumel I just leave the weight plates at home, without them even the SS plate doesn't weigh much more than my buddies "all frills" poodle jacket.

As for the DSS I stay away from non standardized components in general so the differing wing mounting system was enough to knock it off my shopping list.

A pretty silly reason to ignore an awesome system, once the tank is strapped on the wing goes nowhere (am I missing something? Do I need bolts in case the tank accidently falls off dueing the dive and I don't notice it? :shakehead: ), and tank movment is non-existant even though a STA is not needed.

Innovation + Engineering = DSS.

I have the DSS SS plate and LCD30, At home in SoCal wet or dry I use the optional 8lb plate weights for perfect trim (and then I only need 12lbs on my belt dry, 8lb on the belt wet). When I'm in Hawaii or Cozumel I just leave the weight plates at home, without them even the SS plate doesn't weigh much more than my buddies "all frills" poodle jacket.

A pretty silly reason to ignore an awesome system, once the tank is strapped on the wing goes nowhere (am I missing something? Do I need bolts in case the tank accidently falls off dueing the dive and I don't notice it? :shakehead: ), and tank movment is non-existant even though a STA is not needed.

Innovation + Engineering = DSS.

Hmmm, seems using the Oxycheq with built in roll control doesn't require a STA.
I use Scubamax latching tank straps and don't have any worry of a tank being loose. My BPs are from OMS. I can pick and choose the components I want to use from many manufacturers and they all play nice together due to standardization.
It doesn't seem silly to me or many users or manufacturers of other the numerous other brands of BP&W out there.
DSS and Tobin are not the end all of the BP&W manufacturers. Scubaboard users should consider other brands to suit there needs also. Just because Tobin actively joins in discussion on scubaboard and thereby creates free advertizing does not make DSS products or Tobins advise the best solution for every user.

I tend to put the backplate in the bottom of my bag and pile everything else on top. At the very top of the bag I put my wing. It's nice to be able to remove the wing from the backplate without a lot of hassle.

There is a very specific procedure for gripping the wing and harness with the left hand while sliding the cambands over the tank.

Here is a video re: attaching the wing to the backplate: https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/mountwing.html

Another video re: switching tanks:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/switchtanks.html

This is a very well thought out system.

Richard

If I go to AddHelium and buy

OxyCheq SS Backplate = $136
OxyCheq Mach V Wing = $272
OxyCheq HOG Harness = $38

Then over to DiveGear Express for tank bands
Dive Rite Tank Bands = $72

TOTAL $518

If I go to DSS and buy the same setup with a hogarthian harness the cost is $470 Plus I still need to find a crotch strap for the OxyCheq harness.

So, the DSS rig is about $48 cheaper. Not a deal maker but worth thinking about.

Now, I'm not talking about buying stuff on eBay or building something from scrounged parts. Both of these setups are brand new.

In the end, both rigs are top notch and I own them both. I prefer the DSS but I will certainly dive the OxyCheq. Actually, my grandson is getting that rig unless he decides to grab my DSS. He's a couple of inches too short for the DSS Large plate (he's 5'6" and the plate minimum is 5'8" - yes, I am that pedantic...). I don't know that it matters, but the OxyCheq plate is only available in Medium or Small. Medium starts at 5'4".

I have another OxyCheq rig (SS Travel Plate) with a HOG 32# wing for my double hose adventures. And a Freedom plate - I can't forget that! I plan to use it with the HOG wing.

Richard

Last edited:
I'm another Mach V user that is very happy with it's performance.

From your posts it's hard to tell if you understand you can, indeed, attach any standrd wing to a DSS plate, either by using sex bolts or a STA. It's just that you have the added option to attach a DSS wing without any harware. Other than that, it's "standard" and compatible with other gear.

Posted via Mobile Device

I have never used Oxycheq, but I love my DSS LCD 30 for diving up here in 7mm and look forward to using it down south with a 3mm. I recommend getting the weights for the backplate to take weight off your waist.

Happy diving,
WG
Posted via Mobile Device

From your posts it's hard to tell if you understand you can, indeed, attach any standrd wing to a DSS plate, either by using sex bolts or a STA. It's just that you have the added option to attach a DSS wing without any harware. Other than that, it's "standard" and compatible with other gear.

Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, and what about attaching a DSS wing to a non DSS plate using just tank straps? I don't believe that works. No slots in the wings.
This is a fair common singles configuration although it isn't 100% standardized it is fairly common. As I mention I can do this with a my OMS plate and Oxycheq wing.
and there are a lot more wings and plates that can work this way. Far more than the number that can't.

I tend to put the backplate in the bottom of my bag and pile everything else on top. At the very top of the bag I put my wing. It's nice to be able to remove the wing from the backplate without a lot of hassle.

There is a very specific procedure for gripping the wing and harness with the left hand while sliding the cambands over the tank.

Here is a video re: attaching the wing to the backplate: https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/mountwing.html

Another video re: switching tanks:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/switchtanks.html

This is a very well thought out system.

Richard

Has it been hard to remove the wing on other rigs you have owned? I dive an Oxycheq wing with DR plate, no STA and it takes maybe a couple of minutes max to remove the wing from the plate, from the video the DSS looks pretty easy too.

Has it been hard to remove the wing on other rigs you have owned? I dive an Oxycheq wing with DR plate, no STA and it takes maybe a couple of minutes max to remove the wing from the plate, from the video the DSS looks pretty easy too.

No, it isn't hard to unthread the cambands. But there are only a few people on the planet that can rethread the buckle. That's how I separate divers from wannabes. Can they thread a tank buckle and can they thread the waist strap buckle? Without printed directions... Or even with printed directions...

And you still need to find a couple of screwdrivers to remove the sex bolts.

It's just a PITA that is unnecessary with the DSS approach.

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of divers whose wings are bolted and strapped in place never remove the wing for storage. I would also concede that if you have the BP/W on a BC hanger, it really doesn't matter whether it is disassembled. I tend to keep my dive gear packed and ready to go. I like having everything in one place (except my wetsuit and weight harness) and I always disassemble the DSS rig.

But I'm lazy! The OxyCheq, HOG and DR rigs will never be disassembled. It's questionable whether they will be placed in a dive bag or just jammed in the back of an overstuffed SUV.

I have never tried to interchange parts between DSS and the other brands. Maybe one day, when I am really bored, I'll try to mount an OxyCheq wing to a DSS backplate and try to mount the DSS wing to an OxyCheq backplate. I really don't know how it will work out.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom