Oxygen, is it really all that important?

How important is having O2 on your dive vessel?

• 1. exteremely... I wouldn't consider diving on a boat that didn't have it.

Votes: 148 67.0%
  • 2. somewhat... I'd like to have it, but I'd still go even if they didn't have it on board

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • 3. It's not really all that important to me.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 4. I've never really given it much thought.

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm:
I haven't seen one as of yet. You need a free flowing mask once the injured has gone unconscious.

I wish I still had the "Doing it right" book. There's a chapter in there on using a second stage to supply oxygen. I believe the book mentioned using it on an unconcious diver..

Folks,

I will mention this as a caveat. IF the victim is breathing on his (or her) own, and can hold a regulator bit in his mouth, breathing on a high O2 content deco gas will help, if there isn't any 100% O2 available.

If the person is unconscious, but breathing on his own, holding the bit in the mouth while being careful not to force it in will help.

DO NOT, if you choose this method, I say again, DO NOT hit the purge button. The pressure produced will almost certainly cause lung over-inflation injuries to add to the victim's woes! :11:

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

I will mention this as a caveat. IF the victim is breathing on his (or her) own, and can hold a regulator bit in his mouth, breathing on a high O2 content deco gas will help, if there isn't any 100% O2 available.

If the person is unconscious, but breathing on his own, holding the bit in the mouth while being careful not to force it in will help.

DO NOT, if you choose this method, I say again, DO NOT hit the purge button. The pressure produced will almost certainly cause lung over-inflation injuries to add to the victim's woes! :11:

Echo this one, buddy. If I remember correctly only the newer O2 manual demand valves are designed to not over inflate an unconscious adults lungs. If your concerned about being at this point with a patient, make it easy on yourself and invest in an ambu bag. O2 can be connected to the ambu and it will allow you to provide continuous respiratory cycles with much cleaner air.

If your dealing with an unconscious or conscious breathing patient the best meathod is to use a non-rebreather mask OR nasal canuals. A note on these items - they are single use items, when they've been used, disgard and get new for the next time. :)

Ditto the last two comments... it doesn't take much to rupture lung membranes and the demand valves on the newer O2 provider units will limit both volume and pressure to prevent this. Having a couple of EE tanks will give you quite a bit of gas, and are FAR more portable than a scuba tank.

NetDoc:
Ditto the last two comments... it doesn't take much to rupture lung membranes
And let's not forget gastric distention either! :D

hard to believe there are still people out there who dont think o2 is important

Back
Top Bottom