Oxygen, is it really all that important?

How important is having O2 on your dive vessel?

• 1. exteremely... I wouldn't consider diving on a boat that didn't have it.

Votes: 148 67.0%
  • 2. somewhat... I'd like to have it, but I'd still go even if they didn't have it on board

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • 3. It's not really all that important to me.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 4. I've never really given it much thought.

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just curious as to how many people feel it's important for a dive charter boat to carry oxygen on board for your trip? Do you assume it's on board or do you ask if it is? If you found out the boat didn't have it, would that influence your decision to use that particular boat?

You tell me. On a recent boat trip I was on the dive was to 84 feet square profile. A few minutes after I got back onto the boat a diver surfaced took off his gear, posed for pictures and about 10 minutes later, was paralyzed from the waist down. O2 administered immediately and the boat started back to shore. By the time he got to the hospital, he was able to move again and walked out of the hospital a few hours later with out a chamber ride (that I do not understand). So you tell me, is O2 on the boat important. I think so.

I would say it is critical and not a small bottle either.

As both a DAN O2 provider and a PADI O2 provider, it is VERY important to me! Heaven forbid anyone be left in that situation, it could save someone's life...

Melvin is ABSOLUTELY right. Almost any diving emergency will be helped with the use of oxygen, and in the rest of the cases, it will do no harm (unless, of course, you are below 20 fsw).

In ANY case of DCS, or even SUSPECTED case of DCS, begin oxygen therapy IMMEDIATELY.

If you're diving somewhere that doesn't have O2, bring your own. Every boat should have a supply sufficient to administer to at least two divers (remember, if one diver needs it, his buddy probably will, also) from the furthest point from the harbor that they run.

baitedstorm:
I'm just curious as to how many people feel it's important for a dive charter boat to carry oxygen on board for your trip? Do you assume it's on board or do you ask if it is? If you found out the boat didn't have it, would that influence your decision to use that particular boat?
Beyond important to have oxygen on a boat. I do not assume anything when it comes to the safety of myself or any of my dive buddies. I will ask to ensure that it is on the boat. Yes it would influence my decision. Chances are i would not use the boat or if i liked the operation enough i would have it arranged so that I would bring my own or have someone else bring it aboard. Oxygen should be like amex dont leave home without it :wink: ....

Short answer -- yes. Moreover, if I were diving far from shore (as in "international waters") I would want the boat to have a tank and reg set up with oxygen (or nitrox-80) for in-water recompression. And no, I would not want to go down to 20' with paralyzed legs, but if I had mild (Type I DCS) symptoms, I'd want to get oxygen under pressure if at all possible. Lest they become Type II symptoms.

BTW, I laughed out loud when I saw the thread title. My first thought was "Well, you can TRY to live without it for a while..." :05:

baitedstorm:
Whoa, my bad for assuming (without asking) :11: that commercial charters would be required to have it. I guess the requirement doesn't really mean it's there either. I learn something new everytime I get on SB! (That means I'm gettin' smarter everyday, right??!) :D

Word to the wise Lil, ask to SEE the bottle and be shown that it is full. You'd be surprised if you only knew how often there isn't any on the vessel.

I said somewhat, but that needs to be clarified. I expect any charter boat going more than 5-10 minutes off shore and or diving in more than 40’ of water to have O2 aboard. I’ve been many places where we take a little skiff out 3 or 4 minutes off shore in 30’ of water and I find the risk of not having O2 aboard tolerable – yes I know you might need O2 after a 30’ dive, but not nearly as likely as an 80’ dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom