Oxygen, is it really all that important?

How important is having O2 on your dive vessel?

• 1. exteremely... I wouldn't consider diving on a boat that didn't have it.

Votes: 148 67.0%
  • 2. somewhat... I'd like to have it, but I'd still go even if they didn't have it on board

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • 3. It's not really all that important to me.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 4. I've never really given it much thought.

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got my own O2 cylinder for diving emergencies. I hope that I never have to use it myself, but I've taken it to group dives just in case.

-Rob

O2 is utterly essential where diving is going on, not just for deeper diving but even shallower dives where decompression injury is still an issue (breath holding etc). Id say its essential for a charter boat to provide the kit (although not neccesarily required to be able to administer it - thats the job of the divers). Id be wary of even a private or club boat dive without an O2 kit. Its not uncommon for us to take our own even if the boat we're going on has a set.

I think the answers to this question are going to differ in terms of training, knowledge of the advantages of O2, and expierence diving. Before I became DAN O2, i didnt really care about it, and i think that training is the only way for people to care...

Years ago I dove in La Paz, 100+ foot dives, 20+ miles (2 hour boat trip) out in a small skiff with no emergency O2. I didn't realize the importance of it then as I was still a fairly new diver and the DAN O2 education stuff was fairly new as well. As fun as it was, I would not dive under the same circumstances again. Even though everything went fine, I still chalk it up to a lesson learned. If there had been a DCS hit, we'd have been screwed.

I feel it is important enough that I have assembled my own O2 kit and I have taught my buddy how to use it. I bring it with me, often on local boat dives that already have O2.

I was a 4, because I'd never had a problem (and in Aus standards tend to be high about this type of thing), but after an incident recently on a shore dive overseas where my buddy collapsed paralysed on the way out from a deep dive and we discovered the local op did not have any oxygen on site, now I want to see the bottle AND be convinced that someone there knows how to use it before I will get in the water.

How many of you have it available when shore diving?

Not a problem for me - i absolutely HATE shore diving and try to ever avoid having to do one.

If i did though the club o2 kit would come in the car.

baitedstorm:
...how many people feel it's important for a dive charter boat to carry oxygen on board for your trip? ... would that influence your decision to use that particular boat?
Yup. Even with private boats, I'm reluctant to go without O2, although I'm willing to bring my own kit for them. As for charters, info about their O2 should be part of the briefing, and having O2 aboard and in working order is as important as having life preservers and running lights. If I discovered that a charter operation was not carrying O2, or had a non-working kit or empty bottle, my opinion of the operation would be very sour. A very popular operation in Pompano seldom gets my business because of their lackadasical O2 maintenance, and another one in Hollywood does NOT get my business because of this.

Its one thing not to know - that can be corrected with knowledge. But to know, and to deceive about something so fundamental tells me that the folks running the operation lack good sense, ethics, and respect for their customers. Who needs that?

AH... I believe I remember the name of that charter you worked for. To be decieving folks like that is completely sleazy.. like used car salesman sleazy.

I'll spread the word around a few of the shops here about that operation. I like to know my buddies here will return in good shape should something happen.

It was repeated over and over about the need for O2 with any DCI symptoms or even a suspicion of DCI , in my OW class and AOW , but it was after Rescue class that I have become more aware of it and will ask if they have O2 , if the tanks are filled , and they are big enough to do the job required

DB

Folks,

Just a little story here to make you think.

On a trip to the Caymans not too long ago, I was instructing a re-breather student.

He had a problem with leakage around a counter-lung, and flooded one bag. I signalled "Bailout to OC" and we began to ascend.

At about 20 fsw, he lost control of his bouyancy. Despite my going negative, and dragging on him, he made a too-rapid ascent to the surface.

Now, he is an extremely experienced OC diver, so he was venting his lungs automatically. On the surface, I asked him how he felt. He said fine, but that he was a bit worried about the rapid ascent.

Upon climbing onto the boat, I found (1) the boat handler (I refuse to dignify someone so irresponsible with the name of "Captain"!) was off doing his own dive, so no one was on board. (2) The O2 kit, which I was assured was on-board and in the forward starboard locker ready to go, was in fact scattered in pieces in various places in the forward cabin. Some of the parts required were not found until the boat handler returned from his dive in what seemed to me to be centuries later!

Now the kicker. This boat is operated in cooperation with the staff of a well-known tech dive agency in the Caymans.

Is there enough blame to go around here? "Yer darned tootin'!" as we say here in Tejas! I accept much of it.

The take-home message is this, however:

It does not matter WHO tells you the kit (O2 or First Aid) is there and ready to go. Go look at it YOURSELF. If it is not there, or it is in bad shape, it is time to say "STOP", and get the situation resolved.

As a post-script, the incident turned out to be minor, and the student involved was fine. The possibilities here for disaster are endless, however, and are enough to stand anyone's hair on end, and turn it gray! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom