Oxygen, is it really all that important?

How important is having O2 on your dive vessel?

• 1. exteremely... I wouldn't consider diving on a boat that didn't have it.

Votes: 148 67.0%
  • 2. somewhat... I'd like to have it, but I'd still go even if they didn't have it on board

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • 3. It's not really all that important to me.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 4. I've never really given it much thought.

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm:
Word to the wise Lil, ask to SEE the bottle and be shown that it is full. You'd be surprised if you only knew how often there isn't any on the vessel.
That's what I meant. I just never dreamed a commercial operation would be so lax. I know better too, people can get lazy. Not checking for O2 would be like not verifying your EANx. I'm sure new divers or those with little experience just don't realize what to ask about. (I didn't) Only charter trip I've done was OW certification. I'll be getting my own set up for shore dives, private boat trips, various dives I haven't yet done (just bought a wave runner!- my li'l dive boat- :D ) and just as a simple back up plan. Thanks, from me and all the other divers that just didn't realize this problem! I absolutely love ScubaBoard :07:

I 32nd the need for O2. I always ask about it when booking a charter. I also do a lot of beach dives in which case I bring my own kit.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that providing O2 is just the first step. Prompt activation of EMS is the next critical step. That requires communications equipment, a radio, cell phone, etc. In a serious DCS incident the patient will need to recieve O2 under pressure. It's a good idea to be a member of DAN with their number readily available in case of emergency. They can provide EMS personnel with additional treatment recommendations, including the nearest hyberbaric chamber.

I know alot of you know this already, but I figured it was good information for the newbies :)

Lil38:
Thanks, from me and all the other divers that just didn't realize this problem! I absolutely love ScubaBoard...
How would you like to be the parents of this kid?

Case: Lewis v. U.S., 03-1655

Supreme Court: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/

The Associated Press
Monday, November 8, 2004: 10:43 AM

"The Supreme Court refused Monday to consider whether the US Coast Guard can be sued for providing questionable emergency care to an injured Florida diver who later became paralyzed.

Federal law does not require the Coast Guard to rescue scuba divers, since they voluntarily accept the risks of deep-water diving. At issue is whether the Coast Guard can be held liable for administering inadequate aid once it agrees to provide a rescue.

The case involves Brandon Drew Lewis, who was diving off the coast of Jacksonville, FL in February, 2000, when he became unconscious due to the bends. Family members on Lewis's boat immediately notified the Coast Guard, which said it would help.

Once the Coast Guard arrived, however, it transported Lewis on its slower vessel to shore for medical help without providing any oxygen or other emergency care.

The lawsuit by his family contends Lewis could have avoided injury if the Coast Guard had either provided oxygen as is standard procedure or refused to administer aid. Since Lewis's boat was speedier, family members could have transported him to shore quicker, they say.

The Coast Guard counters that under federal law, it has broad discretion to decide whether and how it provides emergency help to ailing divers."

The case is Lewis v. U.S., 03-1655.

Lessons Learned:

1. The Coast Guard is not obligated to come to your rescue.
2. If they do, they are not obligated to use a helicopter. They can choose to use a boat. (Apparently in this case family members assumed a helicopter would be dispatched...)
3. Whether they use a boat or an aircraft, they are not obligated to provide oxygen to the stricken diver being transported. In some cases it is not available.
4. (It is worth noting that Lewis's boat did not have O2 aboard. Ergo, Lewis could not begin O2 treatment for the bends immediately, a fact which may have contributed to his subsequent paralysis.) DAN states that prognosis for recovery is directly related to how soon a diver begins O2 treatment.
5. If the dive boat has O2 aboard, this O2 may not be portable. (It may be a T tank installed against a bulkhead.) Therefore, if you want to ensure that (1) the diver can be put on O2 immediately; and (2) if the diver must be evacuated by helicopter or boat, that the O2 may be sent with the stricken diver, then...you need to bring your own O2 with you onto the dive boat.

This diver is now paralyzed, in part due to O2 not being available either on the boat or during transport. How and why aren't really as important to this diver anymore. The outcome is that he is paralyzed.

This activity can be remarkably intolerant of oversight, ignorance, or neglect.

Dive safe,

Doc

I think the Kid will win the case. Once the CG decided to help, they need to provide basic care. When it comes to DCS there's nothing more basic than oxygen and hydration. That's really Day 1 stuff

Why would any rescue vessel of any type not have O2 on board?

More important than having O2 is knowing the proper way to use it. By administering O2 improperly to a DCS victim, you could actually be doing him harm if you do not pay attention.

Example:

A person comes to the surface showing signs of DCS. 100% O2 is administered, however times are not noted. Person arrives at a chamber and the operator has no idea of the victims exposure to O2. Since in most cases recompression is done at a higher %O2, in some cases recompression treatment could be hindered.

MASS-Diver:
I think the Kid will win the case. Once the CG decided to help, they need to provide basic care. When it comes to DCS there's nothing more basic than oxygen and hydration. That's really Day 1 stuff...Why would any rescue vessel of any type not have O2 on board?
Because they are not required by law to have O2 on board. It's a done deal. This is over. The Supreme Court refused to consider the appeal. The ruling of the lower court was left to stand.

The entire point is that 'once the CG decides to help, they DON'T need to provide O2'. They have "broad discretion" as to what they do and do not offer.

"When it comes to DCS there's nothing more basic than oxygen and hydration. That's really Day 1 stuff": Agreed. That's why it's important to bring your own, and not rely on the CG, the dive boat, or anyone else being able to provide it for you...

Wow!! Now that is an eye opener. I assumed (mistakenly) that the Coast Guard would be the best to call.

I guess another important point would be to become familiar with the procedures of the local rescue teams. If you are close enough to shore, then call 911 and have an ambulence meet you. They are REQUIRED by law to carry O2. In my area along the Sonoma/Mendocino coast we have a REACH helicopter that can be dispatched for faster transport.

MASS-Diver:
I think the Kid will win the case. Once the CG decided to help, they need to provide basic care. When it comes to DCS there's nothing more basic than oxygen and hydration. That's really Day 1 stuff

Why would any rescue vessel of any type not have O2 on board?

They are only required to provide care within their training. I have no knowledge of the vessel used nor the training of its crew, so I can't say for sure. If there was no oxygen on board and they were not required to carry it, or if there was oxygen on board but no one trained in treating DCS, then he wouldn't be likely to win.

I feel bad for him, I truly do. But its not the Coast Guards fault that he was hurt. I've always believed in taking responsibilty for ones own actions, and it sounds like they had neither a sound emergency plan nor adequate first aid equipment for diving. Being that they could afford a diving boat, I would think that they could afford an O2 kit. Let us all learn from that, so at least some good may come of the incident.

Also, it sounds like the Coast Guard made a good faith effort to help, even if it was insufficient. Lawsuits like these will only keep the Coast Guard from helping others due to liability. Its also something to keep in mind when we plan whom we will call in the event of an emergency. I've never really thought of the Coast Guard as being a source of EMS for a dive emergency, more for boating type emergencies. Its not a bad idea to find out what the emergency evacuation procedure would be when boat diving in the event of a serious DCS hit.

mxracer19:
More important than having O2 is knowing the proper way to use it. By administering O2 improperly to a DCS victim, you could actually be doing him harm if you do not pay attention.

Example:

A person comes to the surface showing signs of DCS. 100% O2 is administered, however times are not noted. Person arrives at a chamber and the operator has no idea of the victims exposure to O2. Since in most cases recompression is done at a higher %O2, in some cases recompression treatment could be hindered.
Do you have anything to support this statement?

I am not aware of any DCS treatment tables ever being modified to reflect length of O2 exposure at 1ata during transport, no matter how many hours long.

There may be cases where extended exposure to high ppO2 levels during a long dive, or during a series of dive may cause problems (which will be responded to only if respiratory distress actually occurs during recompression), but you are going to run out of O2 before you cause problems at 1 ata.

NEVER WITHHOLD O2 from a diver in distress due to concerns about O2 exposure interfering with recompression.

Charlie99:
NEVER WITHHOLD O2 from a diver in distress due to concerns about O2 exposure interfering with recompression.

I have been trained as a Diver Medic Technician at UTMB. I can tell you that Charlie is absolutely right in his statement above. NEVER WITHHOLD O2.

Back
Top Bottom