Oxygen, is it really all that important?

How important is having O2 on your dive vessel?

• 1. exteremely... I wouldn't consider diving on a boat that didn't have it.

Votes: 148 67.0%
  • 2. somewhat... I'd like to have it, but I'd still go even if they didn't have it on board

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • 3. It's not really all that important to me.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 4. I've never really given it much thought.

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a P.P.S. to my post above, none of the personnel are there anymore, but when I go back, rest assured that I will not leave the dock until I have laid eyes and hands on both sets of emergency gear! :biggrin2:

No O2 then no dive.

Really, we dive without a safety?

If a boat doesn't carry O2 then I doubt the are safe in other areas as well.

We always have it on shore during classes (even OW). I just finished the O2 provider class & we'll be getting a bottle for our personal use as well.
I never thought to ask to SEE the proof on the boat so THANK YOU for posting this & (hopefully) bringing it to the attention of other divers that may not realize just how important it is!

baitedstorm:
I'm just curious as to how many people feel it's important for a dive charter boat to carry oxygen on board for your trip? Do you assume it's on board or do you ask if it is? If you found out the boat didn't have it, would that influence your decision to use that particular boat?

AT ANDI we have it in our standards that Oxygen must be available during ALL training and supervision..

AT ANDI starting at Divemaster, an Oxygen provider rating is required for all professionals. When we do instructor crossovers, they arein't in teaching status until they have completed an oxygen administration class (assuming they weren't current)

Short answer no Oxygen no Diving..

C-Monkey, that is exactly my point. Just because someone says they have it, from now on, if I dont see it, touch, feel it smell it, it doesn't exisist and I'm not getting on that vessel.

Diving is supposed to be fun and safe. If one boat wont carry it, another one will. I know for a fact right now that the SS Minnow and Diving Solution out of WPB and The Temptation out of Jupiter have working O2 on their vessels. I'm sure there are others, but I've never seen/touched them....

Just be careful!

I really hope others will post their opinions and reasoning to keep this thread at the top so others will see it!

The outfit I dive with carries O2 EVERYWERE!!!!!
The Pool
The Quarry
Local Charters

I never thought about it until this thread but I will be asking everytime i get on the boat!!!

John

Great info for us less experienced divers. Now we will know a few more things to look for in dealing with dive operations. :wink:

ktrjc:
Great info for us less experienced divers. Now we will know a few more things to look for in dealing with dive operations. :wink:

You've got that right... I will definitely ask, and make sure that I see it.

Discover Scuba in Ireland has O2 in the boat. And on my first dive with them, two divers needed it, got the chopper flight to the hosptial & all. At the end of the day, both divers were OK.

DS later realised that they had no spare bottle for the next days dives, and could not get an O2 fill in time.

Easy solution. They canned the next day's dives.

It's nice to dive with Good People.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom