Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SURGE to Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Side note . . . . Don't forget tips, especially as you travel down here.

From a hotel community website:

8. HOTEL WORKERS
You need to tip the hotel staff, and the American Hotel and Lodging Association has a helpful tip guide you can consult [PDF] to figure out who gets how much. Tip a dollar or two to your shuttle driver, the bellhops who carry your luggage, and the door staff that hail your taxis. Housekeepers should get between $1 and $5 per night, left daily with a note specifying that it’s for them. Tip a dollar if the staff has to bring you something extra, like a cot or an extra blanket, and tip your concierge $5 to $10 depending on whether you’re getting restaurant recommendations or a hard-to-get theater ticket.

9. TAXI DRIVERS
In addition to the 15 to 20 percent tip, you should give your driver at least $2 for any bags carried. Maybe more if your suitcase is as heavy as a small whale.

And those of you that think $5 a tank is okay? That was what I was told in 1999!!!!!

Figure on $7-$10 per tank, especially if they are extra careful of your fine equipment. Remember boat tips are normally shared all around.

Speaking of 1999 ----

I was in Grand Cayman in 1999 - the exchange rate was $1.25 Cayman to $1US. The exchange rate is favorable.

Vouchers

I have only the dive boat and the hotel. Is there no more than that?

I thought there might have been one for the transfer from airport to hotel.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but I'd like to clarify if possible.

My understanding is that on the flight from Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac the luggage allowed is 2 checked bags (55 lbs tota), 1 carryon (15 lbs free, more weight .50 per pound) and one small personal bag.

Usually my "personal bag" is a pretty good sized computer bag. My perception is that a big computer bag might not be OK on this flight. Can anybody else share their views on that?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but I'd like to clarify if possible.

My understanding is that on the flight from Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac the luggage allowed is 2 checked bags (55 lbs tota), 1 carryon (15 lbs free, more weight .50 per pound) and one small personal bag.

Usually my "personal bag" is a pretty good sized computer bag. My perception is that a big computer bag might not be OK on this flight. Can anybody else share their views on that?

As far as the airlines are concerned, we recommend that you call them for clarification so as to not have any confusion on your interpretation.

From same link

upload_2017-1-11_10-55-4.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom