Paddle VS.Split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twoblues

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone: Each fin has its strong points? Useful to have both types? Someone said that split fins werer useless, in current? Are they just a marketing draw?

Yikes! Not this again!

I was murdered in my sleep by my split-fins.

Seriously though, I have splits, paddles, Jets...and I love them all. Some splits are more effective than others. I have Atomics and they're good, but a bit long & heavy, and not quite as effective in currents as a stiffer paddle fin. The Scubapro Twin Jets are pretty floppy and OK for calm water and bad knees.

Try before you buy, there is no perfect fin. Get what works for YOU.
Or....be like me start a fin collection!!

Anyone: Each fin has its strong points? Useful to have both types? Someone said that split fins werer useless, in current? Are they just a marketing draw?
As several have mentioned, check out some of the previous threads, in addition to considering responses here. There has been some good discussion.
db5150:
Try before you buy, there is no perfect fin. Get what works for YOU.
Very good advice, probably the best answer. I have never been an advocate of split fins, but I recently decided that my (somewhat skeptical) view of them was more prejudice than reason. So, I borrowed a set from our shop owner and tried them. Two caveats about my 'trial', these were fairly stiff fins, as splits go (according to the person I borrowed them from), and they were RED, which I never wear, so obviously their performance was affected by their color. :)

I didn't dislike them. Contrary to some claims about issues with splits, I could actually frog kick in them. I didn't find them to be blindingly fast, which some others have claimed. At the end of the weekend, I decided I didn't need to add a pair to my fin collection (Quattros and Jets), but they weren't bad, either. On thing I noticed - when I dive Quattros and Jets, I know I have fins on - I can feel them. For me, that is a good thing. With splits, there were times when I wanted to turn on the gas, and I couldn't feel the resistance. Some, probably those with knee issues, will find that to be a good thing. I actually found it awkward, probably because I was used to 'feeling' my fins.

And, so as to not let the opportunity for thoughtful, factual discussion pass:
db5150:
I was murdered in my sleep by my split-fins.
I am sure it was a conspiracy, and your jacket BCD ganged up against you with your splits. And, they probably used a retractor to strangle you. :)

Thank you for the serious and kind reply!

It's just a common argument here, like Ford vs Chevy. You'll find many threads on it if you search, that's why nobody is really interested in rehashing it again

Splits: Reduce kicking effort. Are more difficult to do precision maneuvering kicks in.

Paddles: More kicking effort, but are amenable to all the maneuvering kicks. I also feel they help new divers by acting as horizontal stabilizers.

Could somebody please clarify the terminology for me? It's been my understanding that not every non-split fin is a paddle fin, and that the term "paddle fin" refers only to those super-stiff fins like the Jet. No?

Splits are excellent for snorkeling at the surface.
Splits will not work for a back-kick, are ineffective for micro adjustments and subtle directional kicks, and are barely marginal for frog kicks. They are effective for scissor kicks if you don't mind contsantly and spastically moving your feet up and down.

The right paddles are great underwater for all propulsion styles, directional kicks, control, stabilization and generally, for the wallet as well. The right paddle fins will help decrease SAC rate and extend bottom time, by encouraging a more relaxed, balanced, and efficient diving style.

Which paddle fins are right for you? Depends on environment, conditions, and how much force is needed to move efficiently through the water.

I prefer a lighter/Quicker fin compared to traditional jets or Hollis F2s. (But still use on occasion)

With light weight, durability, and all around performance in mind, I use Hollis F2 fins 90% of the time. Fantastic fins.
The other 10% is when I let students and friends try my F2s, and they refuse to give them back for the rest of the dive, so I end up with the floppy over-engineered paddles or worthless splits that they were wearing.

DiveRight EXP fins are also fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom