Paddle VS.Split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if there is a precise definition, but to me, the fin world is divided into three categories: Split fins, which have splits; paddle fins, which have a single, flat blade, and "other", which includes Slingshots and Seawing Novas and Force Fins.

Paddle fins can vary enormously in stiffness. The Razors we bought for our OW class are almost as floppy as splits. The Dive Rite EXPs are pretty stiff. The Jets fall in the middle, and Turtles are a bit softer than Jets, as I understand it.

Not all paddle fins are the same and not all split fins are the same. Let's also add not all full foot fins are the same.

My fin collection:

Aqua Lung Blades (old style) open heel
Aqua Lung Stratos full foot
Jets open heel
Mares Power Quattro full foot
Oceanic full foot snorkel fins
Apollo Bio fin open heel

I can frog kick, back kick and make minor position adjustments in all of them. Although the Oceanic snorkel fins are too soft for the alternate kick styles to be useful. All the other fins work fine with the alternate kicks.

My favorite are the Apollos. They are very fast, I get all the maneuverability I need, no problems with current and my legs don't tire.

Everyone has their own preference. I got a good deal on my Apollos on Ebay. I really should sell my other fins.

Could somebody please clarify the terminology for me? It's been my understanding that not every non-split fin is a paddle fin, and that the term "paddle fin" refers only to those super-stiff fins like the Jet. No?

Okay, thanks--the responses indicate I am misinformed.

Here is the emoticon for this discussion.

fins2.gif

Nicely done!

Nicely done!

Wish I could take credit, but it was posted on SB previously by someone else, and it was so well liked by me I saved it :cool2:

I don't know if there is a precise definition, but to me, the fin world is divided into three categories: Split fins, which have splits; paddle fins, which have a single, flat blade, and "other", which includes Slingshots and Seawing Novas and Force Fins.

Seems reasonable to go with

Paddle: Jet fins, quattros, Dive Rite EXP

Split: Atomic, Apollo, etc.

Hinged: Mares X-Stream, Seawing, Seawing Novas, Aeris Axxel, Volos

Force Fins: Because they are so remarkably different. Only way to dive with badly broken toes.

Are there any other outliers like the Force Fins that I am forgetting?

---------- Post added August 1st, 2013 at 11:04 PM ----------

My favorite are the Apollos. They are very fast, I get all the maneuverability I need, no problems with current and my legs don't tire.

Admit it: it's all about the white balance isn't it?

---------- Post added August 1st, 2013 at 11:04 PM ----------

Admit it: it's all about the white balance isn't it?

UT-OH, I guess I might have a developed a little reputation in the video section.

Funny you mention white balance in this thread. My Mares Avanti Quattro Power full foot fins are grey. Work great for manual white balance. I wish my Apollos were the same color.

Last edited:
Beanojones, I would also add the new Aquabionic Warp1 fins to the hinged category. I can highly recommend these, they're great. They absolutely destroyed my Atomic splits and Scubapro Seawing Novas.

More effort more air consumption more cramps more blisters if your feet, fins and boots don't all work together.
Everyone I have dove with who has not developed a love affair with their split fins insists in kicking them incorrectly.
If you want aerobic exercise get on a bike or in a gym it's much safer than trying to swim up current at 3 knots no matter what super fin you have on your feet.
There are few awards given for being first to burn through a tank of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom