PADI after BSAC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...These are what you must comply with if you want to work in the diving industry anywhere in the UK except Scotland which has their own version...

News to me!

AFAIK HSE legislation is not a devolved power.

Phil, I went back and added some more material, specifically that referencing the ISO standards. PADI DM and BSAC DL are both recognized at the same ISO standard ('Dive Leader').

I'm surprised UK HSE don't use ISO ratings, but opt for a historical and generally irrelevant CMAS table. I've been out of the UK for a while, so had hoped that would have changed. ISO being a government adopted system, wheras CMAS isn't...

Given that ISO ratings for diving are relatively new for both BSAC and PADI - I wonder what changes have occurred, or are in motion. If subscribing to the ISO system... for your training levels to gain unequivocal recognition, it seems logical that you'd have to offer other agencies, also ISO-rated, the same unequivocal recognition in return??

Of course, "working" in the UK has very little to do with equivalencies etc etc. BSAC Dive Leaders tend to volunteer in clubs - they aren't employed and don't fall under the bailwick of UK HSE. Same for BSAC instructors in clubs (but not in training centers). PADI DMs, if guiding paying divers, or assisting with paid courses, are employed.

Employment outside the field of recreational diving, is largely irrelevant - as many further prerequisites/training etc typically have to apply.

UK HSE - Diving - FAQs: HSE - Diving: FAQs

"Diving professionals who teach or guide divers for money in the UK will usually fall under the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 (DWR97).

The regulations apply when at least one diver taking part is at work or is part of an undertaking. There is an accompanying Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) for recreational diving projects which provides advice and guidance on meeting the legal requirements of the DWR97 and it is recommended that all diving contractors obtain a copy of this ACoP. The ACoP is regarded as best practice by HSE and diving projects may be measured against the ACoP in the event of an investigation by HSE or other enforcing authority.

ISO STANDARDS
Professional service providers should be familiar with the relevant ISO standards that cover the services they provide. ISO standards exist as follows:"

Note: The Diving at Work Regulations (1997) precede the adoption of ISO-Diving (2012) by some 15 years....

That difference between DL and DM training, in practical terms for UK HSE, may encompass nothing more than 10 minutes of powerpoint about 'legal risk and responsibility'....

News to me!

AFAIK HSE legislation is not a devolved power.

I could well be wrong then, I didn't look that closely - but from what someone mentioned a while ago I thought it had split. Thanks for the correction - P

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

Andy,

I agree totally about equivalencies and agreements between agencies not being affected by what the law says, UK or otherwise, and this is down to the agencies themselves, I guess my answer was from a UK perspective and aimed at expanding what I said about "it depends on what you want to do with diving".

If you want to do anything professionally other than recreational dives for yourself, or teach diving in a school or abroad then the choice of qualification could make a difference, and the differences between for example BSAC DL and PADI DM could mean the difference between being able to do the job you want or not.

I have no idea why the UK HSE has not adopted ISO standards yet, it would be so much easier if they had, but as their regulation is driven by EU directives and law it won't change significantly until the corresponding EU directive changes to acknowledge and adopt ISO standards.

Cheers - Phil

Phil, I went back and added some more material, specifically that referencing the ISO standards. PADI DM and BSAC DL are both recognized at the same ISO standard ('Dive Leader').

I'm surprised UK HSE don't use ISO ratings, but opt for a historical and generally irrelevant CMAS table. I've been out of the UK for a while, so had hoped that would have changed. ISO being a government adopted system, wheras CMAS isn't...

Given that ISO ratings for diving are relatively new for both BSAC and PADI - I wonder what changes have occurred, or are in motion. If subscribing to the ISO system... for your training levels to gain unequivocal recognition, it seems logical that you'd have to offer other agencies, also ISO-rated, the same unequivocal recognition in return??

Of course, "working" in the UK has very little to do with equivalencies etc etc. BSAC Dive Leaders tend to volunteer in clubs - they aren't employed and don't fall under the bailwick of UK HSE. Same for BSAC instructors in clubs (but not in training centers). PADI DMs, if guiding paying divers, or assisting with paid courses, are employed.

Employment outside the field of recreational diving, is largely irrelevant - as many further prerequisites/training etc typically have to apply.

UK HSE - Diving - FAQs: HSE - Diving: FAQs
"Diving professionals who teach or guide divers for money in the UK will usually fall under the Diving at Work Regulations 1997 (DWR97).

The regulations apply when at least one diver taking part is at work or is part of an undertaking. There is an accompanying Approved Code of Practice (ACoP) for recreational diving projects which provides advice and guidance on meeting the legal requirements of the DWR97 and it is recommended that all diving contractors obtain a copy of this ACoP. The ACoP is regarded as best practice by HSE and diving projects may be measured against the ACoP in the event of an investigation by HSE or other enforcing authority.

ISO STANDARDS
Professional service providers should be familiar with the relevant ISO standards that cover the services they provide. ISO standards exist as follows:"

Note: The Diving at Work Regulations (1997) precede the adoption of ISO-Diving (2012) by some 15 years....

That difference between DL and DM training, in practical terms for UK HSE, may encompass nothing more than 10 minutes of powerpoint about 'legal risk and responsibility'....

Hi Andy,

When I pointed out to the HSE (2 years ago) that there were a suite of ISO standards for recreational diving; and that both BSAC and PADI were accredited they stuck their head in the sand with a feeble comment that they had put the table together in the mid 1990s and nobody had complained so why change things.

Kind regards

When I pointed out to the HSE (2 years ago) that there were a suite of ISO standards for recreational diving; and that both BSAC and PADI were accredited they stuck their head in the sand with a feeble comment that they had put the table together in the mid 1990s and nobody had complained so why change things.

Hi Edward.

That doesn't surprise me. Sounds like BSAC should start complaining... they seem disadvantaged by the current (ancient) CMAS table...

I imagine it would be hard for HSE to argue against a shift to ISO standards for recreational diving certification. They must be an ISO accredited organization themselves (?) and utilize ISO standards in many (most?) other fields...

Back
Top Bottom