PADI and SDI Rescue Scenerio differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralreefer_1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all.I am here once again to tap into the vast knowledge of the members here to answer a question I have.

First, I should start by saying I am currently doing my DM training under an SDI affiliated instructor here in S. Korea. Prior to this level, I did my OW, AOW and Rescue courses with a PADI instructor also here in S. Korea

I chose the SDI instructor for several reasons I wont bother you all with again ( I posted about it before)

Over the last weekend with my SDI instructor...we were reviewing unresponsive diver scenarios. I noted several differences between the PADI and SDI training. Although I asked my instructor about "why" things were done differently on a few occasions, because of the culture here and fearing my instructor might feel insulted somehow as if I was comparing the past training with the present, i kept my curiosity at a minimum.

What I want to ask about on this forum however, is the reasoning for the order in which things are done, and why they are different? I am sure each agency has its logic...and I heard a bit about it from my instructor...but I would also like to hear a more clear answer (in my own language so that I can be sure of the info)

1. In PADI rescue course, I was taught that after discoving an unresponsive diver, signaling/trying to get their attention, and turning them over...the first thing done is to establish their buoyancy, then mine. Next was to call for help, then remove weights/mask/reg...10 seconds check, then begin rescue breaths

In my SDI DM review of the same thing, I was told that after turning the unconscious diver over, to forgo establishing more buoyancy for the victim or myself, to remove weights/mask reg...then 10 seconds check...and if not breathing to THEN signal or call for help, following by ther rescue breaths. I wonder what the reasoning is for the difference of WHEN the call for help is made?

2. On the same token...in my PADI rescue course, I was taught that after the first 2 initial rescue breaths...each following breath should come every 5 seconds. With SDI..it was every 10 seconds. IM not sure if that difference has any real advantage to the heath of the victim, or otherwise allows more time between breaths for a faster equipment removal and movement to the boat/shore...but as in line with number 1...i would love to hear others opinions about why that is done.

NOTE: I do not mean this as a PADI vs SDI post. I am not trying to compare the two. My mission is to fill in some gaps for my own knowledge about why I am currently doing this or that which is slightly ( and not likely significantly) different to better my own understanding. I am from the US, but all of my training to date has been in Korea..in Korean language. While I do understand Korean very well, between the nature of the material being taught, the "dialect" of the kinds of people that typically are divers here...and the culture which more or less reinforces the idea of dont ask to much...just do what you are told...I thought I might come here to get some more knowledge.

Forgive for the long post~

No idea what GUE is. My question was about PADI and SDI...as those are the agencies I am working with.

I don't have my email from PADI on a similar question I encountered years ago but a lot of their procedure comes from lifeguard procedures.

I can't say why SDI's procedure is different, maybe a different lifeguard manual. East coast, west coast.

SDI has a great chat feature on their website, I use it when I have questions. I'm sure they can provide more information.
One thing they always tell me is, they don't tell the instructor how to teach.
A lot of their standards are left to interpretation. Could be this is how your instructor wants it done.

im working on my rescue certification as well...(with PADI). I am also a lifeguard and ive worked with 2 different agencies through lifeguarding. We had a similar difference about when to call for help. The reason for calling help is to get assistance immediately. The difference is determined by how thorough. In Staarguard, we called for help immediately to get things in motion and then assessed thee severity of the incident. In Ellis, we called for help after an assessment to direct efforts in the right direction. It mostly comes to a difference of how much importance you put on the equipment available in terms of a response.

One thing that may affect it is when the syllabus for the course was drafted. World and national resuscitation council guidelines regarding these things change over time and these will be adapted into the courses as and when they are rewritten (I doubt they are all as up to date as current resuscitation guidelines).

One thing that may affect it is when the syllabus for the course was drafted. World and national resuscitation council guidelines regarding these things change over time and these will be adapted into the courses as and when they are rewritten (I doubt they are all as up to date as current resuscitation guidelines).

This might be the best answer. CPR has evolved into only doing compressions in one man CPR-no breaths every 15 compressions like it used to be.

Last edited:
The basics or rescuing an unconscious diver should be: quick survey to make sure rescuer does not become a victim, bring victim up to surface maintaining an open airway followed by establishing + buoyancy for the victim then BLS. Calls for help can be done at anytime after the surface is breached but should not be delayed. Hope this helps. Hope one is never confronted with this situation

Hello all.I am here once again to tap into the vast knowledge of the members here to answer a question I have.

First, I should start by saying I am currently doing my DM training under an SDI affiliated instructor here in S. Korea. Prior to this level, I did my OW, AOW and Rescue courses with a PADI instructor also here in S. Korea

I chose the SDI instructor for several reasons I wont bother you all with again ( I posted about it before)

Over the last weekend with my SDI instructor...we were reviewing unresponsive diver scenarios. I noted several differences between the PADI and SDI training. Although I asked my instructor about "why" things were done differently on a few occasions, because of the culture here and fearing my instructor might feel insulted somehow as if I was comparing the past training with the present, i kept my curiosity at a minimum.

What I want to ask about on this forum however, is the reasoning for the order in which things are done, and why they are different? I am sure each agency has its logic...and I heard a bit about it from my instructor...but I would also like to hear a more clear answer (in my own language so that I can be sure of the info)

1. In PADI rescue course, I was taught that after discoving an unresponsive diver, signaling/trying to get their attention, and turning them over...the first thing done is to establish their buoyancy, then mine. Next was to call for help, then remove weights/mask/reg...10 seconds check, then begin rescue breaths

In my SDI DM review of the same thing, I was told that after turning the unconscious diver over, to forgo establishing more buoyancy for the victim or myself, to remove weights/mask reg...then 10 seconds check...and if not breathing to THEN signal or call for help, following by ther rescue breaths. I wonder what the reasoning is for the difference of WHEN the call for help is made?

2. On the same token...in my PADI rescue course, I was taught that after the first 2 initial rescue breaths...each following breath should come every 5 seconds. With SDI..it was every 10 seconds. IM not sure if that difference has any real advantage to the heath of the victim, or otherwise allows more time between breaths for a faster equipment removal and movement to the boat/shore...but as in line with number 1...i would love to hear others opinions about why that is done.

NOTE: I do not mean this as a PADI vs SDI post. I am not trying to compare the two. My mission is to fill in some gaps for my own knowledge about why I am currently doing this or that which is slightly ( and not likely significantly) different to better my own understanding. I am from the US, but all of my training to date has been in Korea..in Korean language. While I do understand Korean very well, between the nature of the material being taught, the "dialect" of the kinds of people that typically are divers here...and the culture which more or less reinforces the idea of dont ask to much...just do what you are told...I thought I might come here to get some more knowledge.

Forgive for the long post~
Alert Diver Article: Rescue of an Unconscious Diver:
In 2007 the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) Diving Committee was asked to review the practices being taught for in-water resuscitation. Our committee, chaired by Dr. Simon Mitchell, is comprised of an international team of experts in diving and hyperbaric medicine. . .

The submerged-diver-rescue decision tree is a graphical representation of the various points the committee addressed. In the initial phase, the discussion focused on what to do if the regulator or rebreather mouthpiece had come out of the diver's mouth and, if it was still in place, whether the diver was experiencing a convulsion. For the ascent phase it was noted that the best ascent rate for the victim may be "as fast as possible," but that might conflict with what is safe for the rescuer. In some cases, the rescuer might have a decompression obligation, and a direct ascent could place him or her at considerable risk. In such cases it might be necessary to make the victim positively buoyant and send him unassisted to the surface. Once the victim is on the surface and positively buoyant, the rescuer must then promptly assess the need for rescue breaths and quick egress from the water.

The application of this decision tree depends on the rescuer having the appropriate foundational knowledge and experience of formal diver-rescue training. (It is never too late to learn new skills or practice old ones.)

It is completely appropriate for rescuers to ensure their own safety when using these recommendations. The degree of risk you are willing to assume to help another is something only you can determine. Keep in mind that a safety stop is only a recommendation following a no-decompression dive and should not be considered a decompression obligation. . .

Our committee appreciates that there are circumstances that aren't adequately accounted for in these guidelines; the intention is to provide guidance that is not overly complicated. These should not be considered immutable rules for all situations.

Alert Diver | Rescue of an Unconscious Diver

image.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom