PADI Bashers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
shellim123:
Shouldn't this be moved to the surface Interval?
Naw, close it.

You have to take the good with the bad and think for yourself.

Any angency that has risen to the top will get bashed by those that oppose there standards and or business savvy. Yes I say business, because the dive industry is a business first. Look at the bigger picture and you will see what is happening. Money rules the industry. Sad but o so true.

The issue is not the agency, but it is how the instructors teach. You have good and bad instructors. You also have good and bad students. You as a diver will have to find the right instructor to suit your needs. If one is not comfortable with any instructor. It is time to find another. There are many good ones out there. But for every good instructor there are a few bad ones. In any agency.

Standards are there as a guideline for SCUBA. If people B i t c h and complain about standards. Why not improve on them. If those that think they are high and mighty..why not put your fins where your mouths are and propose better standards. Regardless of agency. There are changes that have been made over the years. It is called evolution...think about it for a minute before you begin to B i t c h and complain about one agnecy being the dominate in this dive industry or sport.

Never forget. The agency does not certify divers. It is the instructor that does. The agency is however responsible for the content of the instruction materials. BUT again. It is the instructors that teach said materials and follow the standards.

The best instructors will go beyond what is in the books. These are the ones you want to teach you.

Diving is a business. Businesses that are sucessfull will become targets of critisims by those that have nothing better to do.

My PADI DM course was very complete. Not because PADI wrote the book..but my instructor took that material, followed the standards, but demanded more of us than was called for. As a professional, instructor or Divemaster, you have to be well rounded. Both in knowedge and in people skills. Plus what ever other positive life experiences you can bring, to make your students more comfortable and wanting to learn. That is the key.

Take what you want out of any lessons learned...it is what you make of it that will define you as a diver.

Live life, live strong, live free.

Stephen

fisherdvm:
You're too funny...
Just trying to keep the buzz going.:D

And the beat goes on, lol. I have only been diving for two years, I have my OW, AOW and rescue ratings all from PADI. My observations and they are only my is yes PADI like the others produces minium trained new divers. It would be nice to have a longer course with more time and there are some divers I have seen that needed more time. The burden is really on the instructor. Get a good one and he will not pass you if you are not ready but will not give up on you either, Will spend extra time as needed. Am a pilot also and found out quickly how much a good instructor means to ones training. But then again practice practice practice is the name of the game. The specialty training courses PADI puts out are just ok, not bad but not great and the price is way out of proporation to the what one receives. Practice, buy some good books and find an instructor or an experienced diver to help you as you continue to learn, Just my ideas guys/girls,
Love to dive,
Ray

Walter:
Thanks for misquoting me. Please fix your post.

Walter

I did not misquote you. I simply tried to answer you point by point the way you addressed me. I did make a mistake in the way I used the quote tool and for that I apologize. I dont really know how to fix it but anyone following this thread can see what I was trying to do. Once again I bow to your superiority. Not only as a diver but also as a user of the ScubaBoard tools.

I do have another question though. After I took the time to answer you to the best of my ability and try to make peace, is "Thanks for misquoting me" the best you could come up with?

that's probably true

Noob@40:
Walter

I did not misquote you.

You did, but you've now explained it was an error on your part. Apology accepted.

Noob@40:
I simply tried to answer you point by point the way you addressed me. I did make a mistake in the way I used the quote tool and for that I apologize. I dont really know how to fix it but anyone following this thread can see what I was trying to do. Once again I bow to your superiority. Not only as a diver but also as a user of the ScubaBoard tools.

Perhaps I can help. Commands are inside []. Commands ending an action are also inside [] but with a / in front of the command. To show you how it's done, I'll use {} instead of []. That should enable you to see how it works. Quotes are made like "{quote} (or {quote=Noob@40})" and ended with "{/quote}" To fix your post, simply add {/quote} at the end of where you are quoting me and either {quote} or {quote=Walter} where you start quoting me again. You can edit your posts by clicking on the edit button at the bottom of your post.

Noob@40:
I do have another question though. After I took the time to answer you to the best of my ability and try to make peace, is "Thanks for misquoting me" the best you could come up with?

I didn't see anything to which I wanted to reply. Is there something you want me to address?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Expressing opinions on an agency is perfectly acceptable. Agency bashing, however, is not. This thread is now closed. If you have any further questions, please post them in Site Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom