PADI Bashers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob@40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have noticed a lot of people in many of the forms doing what I can only discribe as PADI Bashing and I would like to find out why.

I am very new to the sport but am already hooked and can not ever see myself giving it up. But apparently I am not a good diver. This is because I was trained by a PADI instructor. Even worse, I was trained in two weekends ( Two very long weekends, but none the less only two). It dosen't seem to matter that I was given a manual and DVD when I signed up for my course and told to review both before I showed up for class.It was only PADI material. It dosen't matter that I scored 100% on my written tests. They were only PADI tests. It dosen't seem to matter that I can use my c-card to dive anywhere in the world (In my understanding) because it is only a PADI c-card. There are still many people here who will always consider me an inferior diver even after I get more practice and certification because I am doing it under the pretence that PADI is a legitamate organization.

Please show me the light and tell me where I have gone wrong so I may be a diver fit to blow bubbles in the same ocean as the non PADI certified divers.

Please excuse the sarcasm. But I really would like to know why there are some people that really seem to have a problem with PADI.

Thanks for your input.

I was trained for AOW over 2 days and did theory all by my self.I cant tell it was that bad.Just continue diving and take AOW and RESCUE and you will improve your diving.Nobody is a good diver,when they first start.

PADI is just a business and they want your money.You'll find it almost the same with every other dive association,which all took off after PADI.

Some feel they're just grinding out certifications at the expense of producing qualified divers.

I think they're creating adequately trained divers just like the license bureau creates adequate first-time drivers. They'll need lots of practice before they are no longer a menace and sometimes it's entertaining to watch. You just hope no one gets hurt.

Who cares? Certification does not mean "qualified" for a lot of people regardless of who gave them the card. Be responsible for your own proficiency. Never let your training stop. No matter where you get your c-card, you can find mentors that will take you where you need to be. A lot of those people will be PADI divers, and some will be from other agencies. Not all get their kicks from bashing other agencies, but are willing to help people learn because they were there once and they know they needed help. I know what I need to work on and I do that on every dive. Know your limits and what makes you uncomfortable and constantly work on those. Diving and practice makes a proficient diver, not a card. Keep hanging out here and you will find a lot of great people with great advice...regardless of agency. Just ignore the cocky, my-toy-is-better-than-your-toy types. :mooner:

Now, I'm off to the gym because I know I need to build my strength and stamina to be able to get myself out of a current.....been practicing in safe places to prepare myself for my first ocean dive sometime this summer, but "I" will feel ready when I go.

I received my OW card from PADI as have many others. I feel I was adequately trained for a reasonable price. I have also taken a few PADI "specialties" as well as classes through other certifying agencies. The PADI courses were consistently oversold and under delivered.

If you have even the slightest interest ever doing any kind of tech diving do not waste money on rec "specialty" courses. Dive, dive, dive with different people and different areas. After 50 or so dives, assess your skills and find mentors, read books or take a class to fill in the blanks. For the price of a single PADI class you can buy a shelf of books.

While I may have been "adequately" trained for OW, I was terrified on our checkout dives, and following several dives after that. I was so scared I took over a month and some off, and almost quit. I was definately not enstilled with any confidence. Heck, when we went to swim around for the first time in the ocean, I didn't even know how to turn. I went back and immediately took AOW because I felt like I was missing so much, but we didn't learn anything....I love the instructor I got certified from dearly, but I strongly believe PADI has too low standards, and does not make good divers in my experience.

PADI is a "company". In business to make money. They will follow you trying to always sell you something.
It really doesn't matter who certifies you for a C card. EXPERIENCE is what qualifies you to dive and stretch your limits. The other agencies that offer advanced certifications in my opinion do a better job overall. This is not to say you won't find a very good Padi instructor who is also qualified and ambitious about teaching you skills. There are an awful lot of them out there(great Padi shops/instructors).
Enjoy your certification, go blow bubbles, be safe

Don't buy into all the anti PADI stuff you read. The only place I ever come across it is here (I work full time at a dive resort and meet hundreds of divers every month from all agencies), and frankly it's getting really old. :shakehead

It is kinda like Roman Catholic jokes, there's plenty of them, the priests are goofy, and they are easy target. Have fun, join the game, and enjoy it.

I am PADI certified myself, and nothing wrong with a little self assessment and criticism. I am glad I went the route I did, as the competitors are not necessary better (they might be worse).

WyCal:
Don't buy into all the anti PADI stuff you read. The only place I ever come across it is here (I work full time at a dive resort and meet hundreds of divers every month from all agencies), and frankly it's getting really old. :shakehead

Agreed. There are about 7-10 very vocal individuals on this board who turn every single thread into their issues with PADI. They almost throw elbows at eachother to get their agenda posted first.

Although it is sometimes difficult, just let it go. In any culture there are always a few who are more hardcore, more moral, more whatver than any one else- and are thrilled to let everyone know much they know. Go to a Greatful Dead show and you can always find a group of bitter old hippies griping and pining about how it was and how it should be. I see the same with certain teachers where I work. Most find them pretty lame.

Sadly, it just seems to me people such as this are most happy crying and complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom