PADI Bashers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No agency is perfect, in fact no agency at all is anywhere NEAR perfect. However you have to start somewhere.

I have some issues with parts of PADI training and with the BSAC training.

General open-water entry level courses are just that, a basic introduction to diving and certainly not a place to stop training or learning.

My advice to anyone learning to dive is to experience a few different agencies through the course of their training. Then you'll pick up the good parts some have to offer, recognise their bad parts and generally have a broader and more balance knowledge base.

Someone with 100% of their training through one agency or worse just one instructor is living in a little isolated bubble and incapable of stepping outside that to see where things can be improved.

It has to do with money not a desire to adequately train safe divers. And the AOW is a joke. Five dives which I have already done anyway and a $250 fee for what? A different C-card? That's all. Gimmee a break.

is that $250 agency price or the LDS' price? Borrow the book, do the Knowledge Reviews that are online for free then pay your Instructor for his/her time and effort. I can't see the "PADI = Put Another Dollar In" thing. I thought what I paid for my OWD, AOW and specialties was fair and more than resonably priced.

PADI, NAUI, SDI, SSI, etc isn't the issue. It's the student. I remember a quote from this past weekend that made sense. "Some people pay the money to the LDS or Instructor and expect the skills to magically appear." Some are naturals in the water, some have to work for it, some will never get it.

Personally I studied, studied and studied some more. I made sure the information was stuck in my brain so much that the answers to questions and problems came naturally. It helps that I grew up around a dull murkey river and creek full of snales and gators. This gave me the comfort and confidence inthe water that seems to recieve only praise from those I dive with.

Judge only yourself. Pay no attention to the "haters" they only have air to spend.

Noob@40:
I have noticed a lot of people in many of the forms doing what I can only discribe as PADI Bashing and I would like to find out why.

I am very new to the sport but am already hooked and can not ever see myself giving it up. But apparently I am not a good diver. This is because I was trained by a PADI instructor. Even worse, I was trained in two weekends ( Two very long weekends, but none the less only two). It dosen't seem to matter that I was given a manual and DVD when I signed up for my course and told to review both before I showed up for class.It was only PADI material. It dosen't matter that I scored 100% on my written tests. They were only PADI tests. It dosen't seem to matter that I can use my c-card to dive anywhere in the world …

Please show me the light and tell me where I have gone wrong so I may be a diver fit to blow bubbles in the same ocean as the non PADI certified divers.

Please excuse the sarcasm. But I really would like to know why there are some people that really seem to have a problem with PADI.

Thanks for your input.
The sarcasm makes one question your desire to, “find out why?” You are confusing critiques of a particular training approach and corporate policy with your individual situation. Whether you are a “good” diver or not has nothing to do with PADI per se, it has to do with what you were taught and how well training program that underwent imparted to you the requisite knowledge and skills. There a is legitimate difference of opinion on both what the requisite knowledge and skills are and how well they should be performed prior to certification. Are you, personally, a “good” diver? That depends on the standard you’ve being judged against. I suspect that if you walked into say, Terry Rioux’s office at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and wanted to dive under auspices there you would not be good enough, but you could probably pass the mask clear check out dive at a Caribbean resort, there you would be good enough.

Your right, from where many of us sit, two very long weekends of training, 100% on the tests, etc. doesn’t mean a thing. We come from a tradition that is much more demanding in terms of both intellectual accomplishment and proficiency. And every one of us has, at one time or another, spent frustrating hours retraining people who learned to dive in two weekends or less. The greatest impediment to this retraining was often the mistaken impression that the candidate had left their entry level course with … that they knew better than I what they needed to know, and that they knew what they were doing.

But we do understand that you see your two weekends as an accomplishment, in fact the program that you’ve participated in is designed to make you feel that way. And we can see how your feelings are hurt when others don’t recognize your accomplishment and open their treehouse to you. But you’re to wrong to think that this “mark of Cain” will be with you forever. Once you’ve learned what bingo air (rock bottom) is and how to deal with it, once you get trimmed out and develop some buoyancy control so that you no longer play lawn mower on the bottom, once you can not only competently take care of yourself, but have developed enough technique and SA to also look after your buddy and a few other things … well, by then no one will care what card you started off with. It’s like going to take you a half dozen more courses and hundred dives or so before you being to approach that circumstance (some get it faster, some never at all). Hopefully you will hook into a good instructor an be one of those who gets it faster (and yes there are good PADI Instructors).

Advokat:
Nobody is a good diver,when they first start.
That’s simply not true. Given between 40 and 100 hours of training and 8 to 12 training dives, someone can start off as a good diver.

ehuber:
I think they're creating adequately trained divers just like the license bureau creates adequate first-time drivers. They'll need lots of practice before they are no longer a menace and sometimes it's entertaining to watch. You just hope no one gets hurt.
If PADI were to stand up and embrace that concept and design their program around that concept and consul their students appropriately, I’d stand up and applaud and encourage folks to train that way, but instead they issue a certificate that is good world wide to dive without leadership personnel when, quite frankly, as you observe, “You just hope no one gets hurt.” I don’t think that’s the way it should be. Especially since students are lead to believe that diving is “safe” rather than that diving is a series of risk-management challenges.

Stephi:
Certification does not mean "qualified" for a lot of people regardless of who gave them the card. Be responsible for your own proficiency … Just ignore the cocky, my-toy-is-better-than-your-toy types.
Much of what you say is true, but you do yourself a disservice to relegate the discussion to “my-toy-is-better-than-your-toy.”

matts1w:
… Although it is sometimes difficult, just let it go. In any culture there are always a few who are more hardcore, more moral, more whatver than any one else- and are thrilled to let everyone know much they know. Go to a Greatful Dead show and you can always find a group of bitter old hippies griping and pining about how it was and how it should be. I see the same with certain teachers where I work. Most find them pretty lame.

Sadly, it just seems to me people such as this are most happy crying and complaining.
Those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. The problem is not PADI, they are just the most visible symptom of the problem. The problem is not the one or two weekend course, its what students who take those courses are led to believe. I’ve been doing this a long time, I know what it takes to train a self-sufficient buddy pair. It makes no difference to me if that is done it a single well organized and integrated course or in a scattered group of separate modules that are separately priced products, what I want to see is competent divers trained and effective supervision provided until they are competent. I hold the opinion that the training agencies today are taking advantage of unknowing people and pandering to the public’s desire for immediate gratification while not providing the information that is really needed for informed consent. I think that is wrong headed.

616fun:
To me - the organization you certify with has very little to do with your OW class experience. It's all about the instructor. PADI has done a nice job of spreading the sport of diving and creating a standard base that allows people to dive (within the class limits) safely.
With all due respect, how could you possible know that?

616fun:
All standards for most recreational certifying organizations are based off the Recreational Scuba Training Council guidelines (R.S.T.C.) for certification, so sayig that PADI's standards are sub par is a false statement, unless you are willing to say that YScuba, SSI, SDI, etc, are sub par as well.
Oh, you don’t know that. You don’t know where the RSTC standards came from or how they were developed or how they relate each agency’s standard. Do a search on “RSTC,” please, before you express unsupportable suppositions.

616fun:
All The fact of the matter is that PADI course materials are what I consider the best in the business. Very professionally put together with good information. What the instructor does to deliver that content determines how well you are trained.
Once again, do you really have either the background or experience to make that judgment? Just like your confusion about the RSTC standards you don’t understand PADI’s standards and how they limit the way in which a really good instructor can help you learn.

616fun:
My theory is that people who knock PADI are jealous they didn't come up with the idea first :eyebrow:
An interesting theory, but one the lacks supporting evidence, basic knowledge and any discernment whatever. It is the response to this kind of foolishness that is most often confused with PADI bashing.

h90:
… I agree somehow to pro padi and to anti padi arguments both are somehow true....
Me too.

DiveMaven:
Good lord folks, who the heck CARES what agency issued the person's c-card!?!
No one, that’s never been the topic of discussion.

Walter:
… .
I agree.

fisherdvm:
… suggests that SSI is a better shop.

It is not.
Interesting, I never noticed that being said. But I agree that, “it is not.”

Garrobo:
My real learning came shortly when, because I felt that I was inadequately trained, that I hired a lady instructor to go with me for a week of diving on the reefs in south Florida. It cost a few hundred bucks extra but I had with me a person who showed me the ropes, how to get out of trouble, and kept an sharp eye on me. That's where the real confidence came in although I wasn't afraid or nervous at all. I would reccommend that anyone whe doesn't feel this confidence or has fear about going underwater to do the same thing. You just don't get enough training in those two weekends especially in a group. I don't care if it's PADI or any other agency. I think that they are turning out untrained divers which risks their lives. It has to do with money not a desire to adequately train safe divers. And the AOW is a joke. Five dives which I have already done anyway and a $250 fee for what? A different C-card? That's all. Gimmee a break.
It’s always refreshing to be reminded that you can’t fool all the people all of the time.

Garrobo:
..... I also got "100%" on the tests but not because I am super smart it is because I have a good memory. That's how I got through university when young although I didn't learn a damn thing........

Why don't you fill out your profile so we know who you really are, Congressman ??? :rofl3:

I'm also glad to know that there are people out there in the water who do not know how to use tables. Talk about dumbing things down. This is one of the things that also is giving people with traditional instruction a sour taste. I guess the only good thing is when it craps out the water will be less crowded since the diving for them is over until their comp gets fixed.

Agency-bashing ... or even making what one considers "legitimate" complaints about a given agency's standards ... on the Internet is a complete waste of bandwidth.

There are only two things that will make anyone a good diver ...

1. The amount of effort the instructor (from any agency) puts into teaching you, and
2. The amount of effort the student puts into learning.

Both the instructor and the student need to put more than the minimal required effort into the class in order to achieve a reasonable level of competence.

It's really that simple ... the instructor has to want to teach people how to be good divers, and you have to want to learn how to be one. If both of those conditions are met, you will be ... regardless of the agency.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

616fun:
To me - the organization you certify with has very little to do with your OW class experience. It's all about the instructor. PADI has done a nice job of spreading the sport of diving and creating a standard base that allows people to dive (within the class limits) safely.

Define safely.
All standards for most recreational certifying organizations are based off the Recreational Scuba Training Council guidelines (R.S.T.C.) for certification, so sayig that PADI's standards are sub par is a false statement, unless you are willing to say that YScuba, SSI, SDI, etc, are sub par as well.

PADI and the other RSTC members ARE the RSTC. Those member agencies wrote the RSTC standards. They simply wrote the standards that they were willing to oporate within. The minimal and IMO, lacking, training standards and methods came first and the RSTC standards were written to reflect the least common denomenator. the RSTC is a joke.
The fact of the matter is that PADI course materials are what I consider the best in the business. Very professionally put together with good information. What the instructor does to deliver that content determines how well you are trained.

The PADI matyerials are put together professionally as far as appearence. I disagree with you that the content is good, though. They just flat out left out some really important stuff. It's a class in underwater kneeling and many if not most skills are depicted, described and taught in a way that just makes diving harder. Unfortunately, if you haven't seen anything else, you just don't have anything to compare it to.
My theory is that people who knock PADI are jealous they didn't come up with the idea first :eyebrow:

If I said "PADI sucks" and provide no support, that is bashing. On the other hand, I am more than prepared and willing to go through the training standards line by line and point out what I see as specific problems.

Jealous? No. I spent a number of years as a PADI instructor and discovered what I don't like about the standards the hard way. It's nothing short of a minor miracle that someone didn't get hurt in the process. Some of the students of othjer instructors haven't been so lucky. I taught their way...the way they taught me to teach. I stopped doing it because I believe it's dangerous and irresponsible.

You are right. It isn't just PADI. They're just the biggest and in a position of leadership. As things are now, it is NOT easy to find a good entry level course that really leaves the student competent and confident to do what the agencies claim they are now qualified to do...which is to independantly plan and conduct OW dives in conditions as good as those they were trained in.

NWGratefulDiver:
Agency-bashing ... or even making what one considers "legitimate" complaints about a given agency's standards ... on the Internet is a complete waste of bandwidth.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I couldn't disagree more strongly. This bandwidth has served to clue many in on just what it is that they don't know. How could that be a waste?

Thalassamania:
... I hold the opinion that the training agencies today are taking advantage of unknowing people and pandering to the public’s desire for immediate gratification while not providing the information that is really needed for informed consent. ...
It’s always refreshing to be reminded that you can’t fool all the people all of the time.

You paint all training agencies with the same brush? You assume too much. Does your envisagement make any consideration for a competent, caring instructor? Aparently not.
I’ll spare all the tear stained monologue of my training experience but suffice it to say, I’ve had some very good training. I’ve run the entire gambit of instructors from the great to some would say legendary, instructors to the newly pressed PADI Instructors. Some were good some were not, agency be damned.

Dave

MikeFerrara:
......It's a class in underwater kneeling.....

Eeeeegads man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've rumbled their evil plan. What have they been up to whilst we've all been learning to kneel underwater ? Secretly making plans to invade Poland perchance ?????????????? :mooner:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom