Padi C Card Pic Joke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn't the government asking, it was someone "wanting to play a joke". Ok, so PADI doesn't have a secure site--but the OP didn't know about accessing it until he found out here. I'm not saying it was a state secret being revealed but sadly enough the concept of stalking or harrasment isn't all that unusual anymore. Well, I hope it was just a joke. I hope the OP's friend gets a big laugh out of being embarrassed. Just seems like someone else's C-card isn't something to play jokes with, eh? // ww

It wasn't the government asking, it was someone "wanting to play a joke". Ok, so PADI doesn't have a secure site--but the OP didn't know about accessing it until he found out here. I'm not saying it was a state secret being revealed but sadly enough the concept of stalking or harrasment isn't all that unusual anymore. Well, I hope it was just a joke. I hope the OP's friend gets a big laugh out of being embarrassed. Just seems like someone else's C-card isn't something to play jokes with, eh? // ww
I was simply carrying this argument forward. Nobody wants to have a suitable identification medium, because of the fear of Big Brother, yet they all want privacy from each other as well, with a reasonable assurance that someone isn't going to "be" them.

You can't have it both ways.

I'd say that the PADI site is as secure as it needs to be on this front. Again, we're not talking about terribly confidential information. You identify yourself this way to the person at your grocer's till on a regular basis.

Take a look at Facebook or MySpace -- chances are you can get a photo from 25-50% of the Internet-aged population. Sometimes one, sometimes a whole gallery.

Basically, the point is simple: there was no significant privacy intrusion here, at least not by any modern standards.

The simplest way to put it is this:

The only way to have "Privacy" is to live underground from the day you are born and never touch a credit card, internet, or ever be issued a social security number or driver's license or go to a store, or drive up to a bank ATM, etc, etc etc...

If you have a social, and/or bank card, using legal methods of private investigation, you can found within a 10 mile radius within 30 seconds of use of card/phone/etc.

Using illegal means, your location can be identified within 3-5 feet within 2-4 seconds. If someone has your SSN, Phone Number, etc, thtey already have enough info to get what they need to steal your identity.

If you exist in the modern world - you have no privacy. I work a lot of blue/white collar and cyber crime and it's an illusion at best. Learn how to lock your credit reports and learn how to manage your identity properly without worrying about "privacy."

Thats my .02 - for what it's actually worth.

If you exist in the modern world - you have no privacy.
I have no trouble believing that. But why do we have to accept it? Laws that require the people who legitimately hold our personal data to safeguard it would be minimally intrusive to their normal course of business (not counting their side businesses of selling our personal data) and are consistent with what decent people have traditionally expected from their friends, neighbors, and business contacts.

As Ayn Rand put it:

Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men.

Man I love Ayn Rand.

Talk about a modern day visionary.

And for the record, I completely agree with you. But daily I am forced into seeing it as it truly is.

it was someone "wanting to play a joke". but sadly enough the concept of stalking or harrasment isn't all that unusual anymore. Well, I hope it was just a joke. I hope the OP's friend gets a big laugh out of being embarrassed. Just seems like someone else's C-card isn't something to play jokes with, eh? // ww

Can you say: "creepy"?

Okay to everyone who wask questioning me. I can see your points but I went to a dive shop and had an instructor do it through him. I got the picture, went to dary quen and had them put this picture on her cake as if her cake were a c card....it was really funny her face was so bright red. But thanks for all your help.

Okay to everyone who wask questioning me. I can see your points but I went to a dive shop and had an instructor do it through him. I got the picture, went to dary quen and had them put this picture on her cake as if her cake were a c card....it was really funny her face was so bright red. But thanks for all your help.
On a cake, how sweet! Good for you.
pop.gif

Dairy Queen does cakes? Or did you seriously mean Dary Quen? Not trying to be mean, I'm actually curious. Are they ice cream cakes?

Back
Top Bottom