PADI cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kd2bmu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I was wondering how long after your OWD until you receive your c-card or other proof of completion?

I am going to Dutch Springs, PA July 31 - August 2 for OWD. I'm really excited about this. There are folks around here that dive and are willing to go with me, once I'm certified.

Dave
KD2BMU

You should get an email with a Temp card from PADI pretty much as soon as the instructor completes the online form. As to actual card not positive, last one I got went to my LDS not me.

Immediately, but in what form depends upon how the certification is submitted.

If done the old paper method, you receive a temporary card right away. That temp card is valid for 90 days, in which time you will receive your certification card.

If the certification is done digitally, you can receive your certification right way, if you opt for a digital certification card.

In one way or the other, you will receive some documentation right way.

Immediately, but in what form depends upon how the certification is submitted.

Could probably get the "e-card" immediately...

Could probably get the "e-card" immediately...

If you want to pay the etra money you can get the e-card after your instructor submits the paperwork. But ecards are $42. I was told the plastic "permanent" card should come in 2 weeks or so. But, like mentioned above, you will get a temp card the day you complete the last open water dive.

Hi all,
I was wondering how long after your OWD until you receive your c-card or other proof of completion?

I am going to Dutch Springs, PA July 31 - August 2 for OWD. I'm really excited about this. There are folks around here that dive and are willing to go with me, once I'm certified.

Dave
KD2BMU
It took me about 2 weeks to receive the permanent card from PADI (my LDS does everything by mail, unfortunately). About 4-5 days after the paperwork was sent, however, I received an email confirmation that it was being processed and a URL to activate free 30-day ecard (smartphone required).

As others have mentioned, you'll be given a temporary paper card (valid for 90 days) signed by your instructor. As long as you take that along, you should be OK. (I say should because I don't know how much leeway operations have to decline, if they aren't able to verify your status in PADI's online system yet).

If you have the option to have your certification processed online, that's probably the safest option given the timeline. But I wouldn't actually expect problems even with the temporary card.

I just recently got my PADI Open Water Cert. My instructor printed out a temporary card after the last OW Dives that night. PADI almost immediately emailed me a notice regarding processing my card. PADI also gave my a 30 day "trial" for the e-card to have while they processed the cert. I got certified on Sunday June 28 and had my real card in the mail on Friday July 3. I was not expecting it that fast.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Dave
KD2BMU

PADI controls printing of their cards, so you have to wait for a permanent card to come in the mail.

SDI allows the local shops to print the permanent cards. I did SDI for my OW training and my shop took my picture with a digital camera and printed out my permanent card (with my picture on it) immediately after filing my paperwork online. And, yes, it's a hard plastic card, just like any other agency. The shop has to get "blanks" that have a pre-printed "official" back on them. The shop just prints on the front. I don't know if they have to have some special kind of printer to print on the cards or not. All that has mattered to me is every time I finish a class through that shop, they print me out my new card and I have it immediately.

I don't know how other agencies do it.

Just FYI.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2015 at 03:27 PM ----------

ps. My local shop offers the exact same OW course, but you can choose whether you want a PADI or SDI certification at the end. The course is the same. Choosing to have PADI certification costs $50 more than choosing SDI certification ... for the exact same course. Needless to say, I opted for less expensive and immediate gratification (C card). :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom