Padi dive master swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Questions being answered, I always advise this: For the 400 make sure your swim mechanics are as good as possible- arm strokes vs. kicks, head movements, breathing rate (not too fast or to slow). Unless you can do the butterfly, I would assume that the regular front crawl will get you your best possible time. Also of course, train if needed so your swim muscles are up to snuff. Float: If you can do the hands out on your back, or with eggbeater kick, OK. If not, drownproofing is a breeze (you may rotate around a bit while your head/face is underwater). If your instructor doesn't allow this it is a standard violation (I have hear of instructors not allowing this for the OW student 10 minute float).

The PADI DM test was actually much easier than my NAUI Basic Diver cert/test back in 1972. The swim back in 72 was much bigger, the harassment much more severe, the rescue part was like a Bond fight scene underwater....the ONLY skills that anyone wanting to be a DM should have any issue with, if they have realistic experience and dive skills...is the swim if they have shoulder problems.....and then the issue should really be--- will the shoulder injury compromise your ability to rescue a diver, to pull someone up on to a boat, to set or pull anchors--to pretty much be the work horse that the dive boat needs you to be able to be--and if you can't be this work-horse, then why do you think you should get the DM cert--or Instructor cert for that matter ( the instructors "should" be able to do anything a DM can do--many instructors just teach in baby water, and don't really dive well, but that is another rant :) )...

Let's describe what NO DM should be like....If you see a DM that swims up to the platform, and has to have crew help them to get the gear off in the water, and the crew must carry the gear up onto the boat...the DM needs this degree of help--this DM should NEVER have been certified as a DM....it is like certifying a Blind Man to drive a car, maybe because it is not politically correct to discriminate against the handicapped ( the blind for driving a car--the physically compromised from injuries-etc, for being a DM)

Mine was in the southern Caribbean and there was plenty of reef to look at. Not to mention it is untimed and mask/snorkel/fins.

Really? I've been told the 800m instructor snorkeling needs to be completed within 15 minutes.

Really? I've been told the 800m instructor snorkeling needs to be completed within 15 minutes.

To my knowledge the 800 is timed-- same as the 400 and tired diver tow, you scoring points 1-5. Well, none of them are "timed", if all you need on that particular swim is a "1" to get your total required points to pass the whole thing.

danvolker: I agree. Rescuing a diver is what I think the stamina tests are (or should be) about. This was discussed years ago on Going Pro. Some disagreed with me saying it's not about ability to rescue, but only about "comfortability" (define that as you like) in water. I suggested some changes in the tests to make them more practical regarding rescue ability.

Just wait for the 800 Meter for instructor! It is boring!

Mine was in the southern Caribbean and there was plenty of reef to look at. Not to mention it is untimed and mask/snorkel/fins. I thought, jeez, way to threaten me with a good time with a nice snorkeling adventure! I took my time and enjoyed it. Really got a kick out of the other people busting ass, using their arms, and pretending it was some sort of race. They sure were tired the rest of the morning lol.

To my knowledge the 800 is timed-- same as the 400 and tired diver tow, you scoring points 1-5. Well, none of them are "timed", if all you need on that particular swim is a "1" to get your total required points to pass the whole thing.

The 800 for instructors is not timed, it is a pass or fail event not graded on a 1-5 scale. The standard from the Course Director's manual is:

9. Perform a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.

if we were still discussing the 800 for DMs then you are correct that your score would depend on your time.

Whoever told you that was clearly misinformed.

---------- Post added September 19th, 2013 at 05:37 PM ----------

The 800 for instructors is not timed, it is a pass or fail event not graded on a 1-5 scale. The standard from the Course Director's manual is:

9. Perform a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.

Thanks for the input from the CD manual. I've got one but it's a few years old.

I have a question about this swim test that's unclear to be in the book.

1. 400m swim can you do back strokes or does your chest have to be pointed to the water?

2. 15m tread my question is can you float on your back?
You can do any combination of strokes that you want.
for the tread, it sort of depends on your instructor. Mine required a regular treading water.

Where I did my DM we had to get no-less-than a "3" on each timed component.

---------- Post added September 19th, 2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

as for the tread, it sort of depends on your instructor. Mine required a regular treading water.

The instructor who supervised my tread was a bit miffed that I was able to do the whole thing without any treading whatsoever. Even though I'm pretty lean (6'2" and 180lbs) I am able to float motionless, vertical, with my mouth and nose out of the water by merely controlling my breathing. With my hands out of the water I had to kick a few times.

Ah... you're no fun!" was her direct quote.

That's the proper way it is to be done. Bear in mind you are reading about someone telling people a 1 is acceptable while also saying the IDC 800m is timed, which is also incorrect.

That's the proper way it is to be done. Bear in mind you are reading about someone telling people a 1 is acceptable while also saying the IDC 800m is timed, which is also incorrect.

That is incorrect, the Instructor Manual states:

Waterskills exercises
Have candidates complete five waterskills exercises, earning a combined exercise score of at least 15.There is no passing score for any single exercise.

As long as they score a total of 15 then a 1 is acceptable according to the standards. However if one of my students scored a 1 then I would assume that they weren't trying (unless they had a known physical condition that caused it) and they would fail to meet the minimum score for Professionalism.

A minimum of a 3 is required for each of the 24 dive skills.

Back
Top Bottom