Padi dive master swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP: I agree. For me it was also a difference without distinction, as you say. I suppose there are some who pay all that $ just to get a nice certificate and patch--they must be rich.

WheelsUSN: Thanks. Perfectly clear and I agree completely. Not trying your best shows lack of professionalism and poor attitude. Even if you had enough points already, why wouldn't you try your best just to see if you can score a higher total anyway?

DCBC: I usually agree with much of what you say, but double the requirements? For example, you mean you should be able to do BETTER than the time allowed for a "5' on the 400? Seems very unrealistic.

I just love these "swim Test" debates.

DCBC: I usually agree with much of what you say, but double the requirements? For example, you mean you should be able to do BETTER than the time allowed for a "5' on the 400? Seems very unrealistic.

I assumed he meant "double the distance" vs "twice as fast." When you consider the fact that the world record is just under 4min (3:40ish, I believe.) there's not a lot of headroom between the top of the current requirement (5 points for under 6min) and the world record.

That said, while I do agree that speed isn't everything... 10/11min for 400y/m (3 points) actually borders on a relatively mediocre swimming performance in my mind. Especially for someone who is supposed to be a "professional" in the water. Even at the age of 47 I can still turn in a 400y time under 5min. That should have qualified me for 6 or 7 points. :d

I assumed he meant "double the distance" vs "twice as fast." When you consider the fact that the world record is just under 4min (3:40ish, I believe.) there's not a lot of headroom between the top of the current requirement (5 points for under 6min) and the world record.

That said, while I do agree that speed isn't everything... 10/11min for 400y/m (3 points) actually borders on a relatively mediocre swimming performance in my mind. Especially for someone who is supposed to be a "professional" in the water. Even at the age of 47 I can still turn in a 400y time under 5min. That should have qualified me for 6 or 7 points. :d

Yeah I guess double the distance. You would assume double the times allowed for the points you get? Or maybe not doubled, which would mean you must swim faster. Interesting point about speed. My mother had probably the best forward crawl stroke I ever saw, but she was extremely slow. She swam to an island in L.I. Sound when she was young--several miles. In recently looking at that swim, I figured it was way longer than I'd ever want to swim, yet my speed was way faster than her's. If times like getting a "1" meant not competent enough, she never could become a DM at your shop and many others. But it wouldn't at all mean she wasn't in tip top shape. It's all very interesting since you'll never ever swim without fins as a DM--rule #2(?) of Rescue Course--always have M/F/S close by in case needed. I would agree that speed is of the utmost importance with the 800 M/F/S and tired diver tow, as a life could be at stake.

But it wouldn't at all mean she wasn't in tip top shape.

Victim: "Help! Help!"
DM: "Hold tight... I'll be there in about 10 minutes."
Victim: "Help I'm drowning."
DM: "Don't worry. I'm in tip-top shape... just not very fast."

Sure, most people will be faster with fins than without. But I'm guessing most people who are SLOW without fins, will be commensurately SLOW with fins, too.

Find a video of egg beater kick. I learned in water polo. It's awkward as hell to start but once you get it you can tread for hours with hands out of the water.

Yeahhh John, nice to find another H20 polo player on here. Egg beater will be a bit of a pain to learn at first but practice it enough and you can tread for pretty much as long as you want. For the hands out for 2 minutes, some people are buoyant enough to float on their back with their hands out.

If it sounds hard to you then just keep practicing and you will get better. I did my 400yd swim in like 4:30 but then again Ive been swimming competitively for 12 years.

I was referring to the OPs question.

"1. 400m swim can you do back strokes or does your chest have to be pointed to the water?

2. 15m tread my question is can you float on your back?"

Time wasn't mentioned.

My entry requirement for an OW Diver surpasses that of what PADI requires to be a DM/Instructor. To me that's pretty sad; especially if a candidate is worried about passing such a minimal requirement.

I was referring to the OPs question.

"1. 400m swim can you do back strokes or does your chest have to be pointed to the water?

2. 15m tread my question is can you float on your back?"

Time wasn't mentioned.

My entry requirement for an OW Diver surpasses that of what PADI requires to be a DM/Instructor. To me that's pretty sad; especially if a candidate is worried about passing such a minimal requirement.

What agency requires a 400m swim and an 800m mfs swim as an entry requirement for OW?

What agency requires a 400m swim and an 800m mfs swim as an entry requirement for OW?

Students of Instructors from many Agencies must meet minimum requirements before certification. Instructors are encouraged to exceed Standards and most do (especially when it's in the best interest of the student). Many instructors do not believe in certifying weak or non-swimmers.

Edit: My students are required to complete a non-timed 400 M swim, 15 mins drown-proof, deep-end weight belt recovery, tread water 2 mins hands and feet, 2 mins hands only (legs crossed), 2 mins feet only (wrists out of the water), 25 M underwater swim, unassisted before they start instruction.

Students also complete an 800 M surface swim with full SCUBA equipment (utilizing FMS) in open Ocean as a requirement for certification. This is done in local conditions; cold North Atlantic Water with a 2 or 3 foot Sea. In-water competence and confidence is critical for a diver to dive here safely.

Last edited:
. Many do not believe in certifying weak or non-swimmers.

I would count myself in that group. However, I don't need to see someone swim 400yds to determine if they are a weak or nonswimmer. One length of a 25yd pool is sufficient. I don't even need to time them.

I would count myself in that group. However, I don't need to see someone swim 400yds to determine if they are a weak or nonswimmer. One length of a 25yd pool is sufficient. I don't even need to time them.

Part of my assessment includes fitness and endurance. I can't do this assessment with a Student only swimming one length of a 25 yd pool...

Where I teach people to dive, these qualities are often required if the Diver is to survive. If they can't, I don't want to contribute to their demise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom