padi dive table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters:
Show off! :D

Let's see $175 for used wetsuit, hood, gloves, and booties.
$250 for new AL80.
$1000+tax for new BCD, gauges, regs, and lead.
$120 for fins.

Okay, it's a bit over $1500.

Already had mask. Got a light for x-mas. Then just have to add a little bit for the knife. That's about it though, except for tid bits here and there.

- ChillyWaters
Different worlds

$2200 Drysuit
$1000 Main Regs
$1500 Backgas tanks
$800 Stage Regs
$500 80 and 40 stage bottles
$4000 Scooter
$2600 Extra Hull and batteries for scooter
$1200 Primary Light
$250 2 Backup lights
$225 Fins
$700 Single BC and wing
$400 Doubles wing

and I'm not going to talk about camera (video or still) or the extra canistar light or extra doubles wing that I own or the extra set of back gas tanks or the set of 2 single tanks

Diesel298:
yeah sure there might be a certan curcumstance.
but i found more often than not that all these internet armchair divers
(and am am NOT refering to anyone here just in general)
will spend hours of there time to locate a item online or on e bay and after shipping they save all of 5 bucks on a 200 dollar item.
these are the same people who complain about 5 dollar air fills
is this a case of that... who knows its so hard to tell on a message board.
My previous post might have also been a case of some misdirected anger and frustration
i spend a fairly large amount of time working various aspects of this industry and have found that there are more people than not that just want all they can get outa you for free, exploit my giving nature, and enjoyment of helping others in the sport, and of corse after reading post after post after post of people who pretend to have a freakin clue and spread BS about this sport info like fertilizer.
all in a attemp to find that small group of member who post info worth the time it takes to read
:END RANT:
(again not refering to anyone here)
As far as finding my comment offensive....
i thought that was mild at worst.....
how can you find it offensive when it wasnt even directed at you....
in any case a little food for thought here.
with our economy. LDS are goin outa buisness every day.
how bout we support them.
as has been said many times before
where ya gonna get air fills online

PS
I do not currently own or work in a LDS
And you are a supporting member or a free member of Scubaboard? I am not trying to flame, but come on, it's a dive table, not a free kit from someone begging for freebies. Any well run LDS that satisfies it's customers enough to bring repeat business should survive(does this mean Larry @ Scubatoys is the devil because he ventured into a great online business?). My God I see referrals in almost every post to Scubatoys. This forum is basically here to help people, or so I thought, if they asked for it.

Ya go ahead and flame me because I am 'new' to diving if it makes anyone feel like a real champ. Me personally, I spend my money not online, but at my LDS. That's my choice. For now...

JeffG:
Different worlds

$2200 Drysuit
$1000 Main Regs
$1500 Backgas tanks
$800 Stage Regs
$500 80 and 40 stage bottles
$4000 Scooter
$2600 Extra Hull and batteries for scooter
$1200 Primary Light
$250 2 Backup lights
$225 Fins
$700 Single BC and wing
$400 Doubles wing

and I'm not going to talk about camera (video or still) or the extra canistar light or extra doubles wing that I own or the extra set of back gas tanks or the set of 2 single tanks

But that is your choice. In the past 10 years I have replaced my BC and purchased a new wetsuit and boots and a new octo. My children bought ne a compass and knife for birthday presents. A few other incidentals and that's it.

I received my Stress/Rescue certification last year and am working on AOW this year, but that's my choice; I do not NEED them to continue diving.

I agree; once the initial expenditures are met, recreational diving is fairly inexpensive.

suggestion instead of 15$ for the RDP spend 25$ and get the ERPD i have one and they are so great...... only bad thing is they cannot be taken under water but just plan dive and dive plan

here's a couple of links to the U.S. Navy dive tables, just for a comparison. all recreational dive tables used to be based off of these, don't know if they still are.

the PADI dive tables I got when I was certified in 1981 used to match the Navy's exactly, of course my original tables don't corrispond at all the the PADI tables my wife got when she was certified about 4 years ago.

I still can't figure out why I didn't die back then using my old tables, because according to today's tables some of my dives were up to 20 min. too long!!!!! :D

http://pages.zdnet.com/olneyscubaadventure/navy_dive_table_lecture.htm#anchor79594

http://www.reefscuba.com/navytables.htm

sharky60:
here's a couple of links to the U.S. Navy dive tables, just for a comparison. all recreational dive tables used to be based off of these, don't know if they still are.
Most cert agencies (NAUI, YMCA, SSI, etc.) are derived from the USN tables. The exceptions are the newer NAUI RGBM tables, and the PADI tables.

The big difference is that the PADI tables track the 60 minute halftime compartment, and ensure that the slower compartments are always in bounds by having a couple of special rules that only get invoked by 3 or more extra, extra long shallow dives. The USN and USN-derived tables are all based upon the 120 minute compartment, which is rarely the controlling compartment in recreational NDL dives on scuba (but which is important to people spending hours on surface supplied gear working on a ship at 40'.)

The practical result is that on repetitive dives, the PADI calculations are closer to what is really going on, and the PADI tables allow much longer times on repetitive dives than do the tables which are based upon the ridiculously long halftime 120 minute compartment.

Charlie99:
Most cert agencies (NAUI, YMCA, SSI, etc.) are derived from the USN tables. The exceptions are the newer NAUI RGBM tables, and the PADI tables.

The big difference is that the PADI tables track the 60 minute halftime compartment, and ensure that the slower compartments are always in bounds by having a couple of special rules that only get invoked by 3 or more extra, extra long shallow dives. The USN and USN-derived tables are all based upon the 120 minute compartment, which is rarely the controlling compartment in recreational NDL dives on scuba (but which is important to people spending hours on surface supplied gear working on a ship at 40'.)

The practical result is that on repetitive dives, the PADI calculations are closer to what is really going on, and the PADI tables allow much longer times on repetitive dives than do the tables which are based upon the ridiculously long halftime 120 minute compartment.

So what you are basically saying is that PADI bases their tables on some formula, and the Navy is based on real dives with real people.

Now as to who is the biggest…. PADI<USN :D

shooter226:
So what you are basically saying is that PADI bases their tables on some formula, and the Navy is based on real dives with real people.

Now as to who is the biggest…. PADI<USN :D

Navy tables are for "working" dives and don't translate well into use for repetitive, recreational diving. Oh, and there's a hell of a lot of science from many fields that go into those deco algorithims (of which there are several)... it's not just "some formula".

shooter226:
Actually, there was quite a bit of testing during the development of the PADI tables. IIRC, the USN tables didn't have any testing at all of repetitive dives, while the DSAT/PADI did quite a bit of testing of repetitive profiles, since they are common in recreational diving.

Back
Top Bottom