Padi Dm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Just how much physics do you need to know for the PADI
Divemaster course?

From a summary on PADI's DM course:

1. How light, heat and sound behave in water
2. Buoyancy and the weight of water
3. Pressure and water
4. The relationship of pressure and gas volume, density, and temperature.
5. The behaviour of gases underwater: Partial pressure
6. The behaviour of gases underwater: Gas absorption and elimination

That said, you really only have to know what the behaviour is, not *why*. In other words, it's like saying that you have to know that gravity holds you on the earth, not why gravity exists... (it does, doesn't it? :wink:)

It's the why that would cause you to actually learn physics - the other is mostly memorization (and logic). Shouldn't be too difficult...

gj62 is correct on the basics and he is also right about what you're going to need to know for the exams, however it is good to understand a little more about the physics involved in the sport that you are doing every day. I found the NOAA encylopedia of diving really useful in helping me understand physics as well as all other aspects of diving and the aquatic world.

Lawman:
Just how much physics do you need to know for the PADI
Divemaster course?

As I recall
- Achemede's principle
- Boyle's law
- Dalton's law
- Charles law
- Henry's law

And probably a few things that revolve around these principles.

Oh yeah, and now that I read the rest of the replies, gj62 was right. Some basics about light, sound and heat energy but it was light on the math, mostly conceptual.

R..
-

That makes me feel better. I'm really looking forward to the class.

If you check the appendix, there's a list of questions you should be able to answer. Questions 76 - 105 pertain to the physics test. Having just taken it myself last week, I have to say it's one tough test! Make sure you double check your math. Unlike the more traditional PADI exams, this one is only roughly 50% multiple choice. So obviously math errors aren't so obvious.

Good luck with the course!

Of the 6 exams in the dm course, I think physics was the most challenging one (at least for me). Though none of them were all too difficult. If you do the readings you should have no problem.

Off the topic bit...Oddly enough, the lowest grades for PADI instructors taking their exam come from the equipment test, not the physics, as everyone learns that so well, and neglects the 'obvious easy test'. This is what I have heard and is no means absolute or a scientific statement. I have seen it with my own two eyes, though.

All that said, the physics is not too difficult if you study for it...and are taught thoroughly. Study hard. Do not ignore the 'obvious easy stuff', though.

Good luck!

Snowbear,

Sounds like you needed a better instructor! You went into the IE without any knowledge of the wheel? What level of instruction and testing are you talking about? DM or instructor?

Colin Berry

Back
Top Bottom