PADI EANx online course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox course instruction has changed dramatically over the years, along with the attitudes toward diving with Nitrox in general. Different people have their attitudes shaped according to where they are on that path of change. You will see some of those differences in the cost of the courses and the opinions expressed in this thread.

If you go back around 25 years ago, Nitrox was considered to be so dangerous that most agencies refused to teach it at all, and DEMA refused to allow anything related to it in its annual trade show. At least two agencies were created to focus on using nitrox. (ANDI--American Nitrox Divers International and IANTD--International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers)

Go forward only a few years and you are in the era when I got my nitrox certification. The class was a very big deal, ending with a 50 question test full of fairly challenging math problems and two dives. You had to know a number of formulas and use several charts. The toughest math problems involved determining whether concerns about pulmonary oxygen toxicity or residual nitrogen were the most limiting factors in a multiple dive day.

The problem with what I just described is that anyone with a few firing brain cells came to the same conclusion I did after taking the class--most of that was unnecessary for recreational diving. As I did the aforementioned problems on my exam, I tried to imagine when I would ever be in a situation when anything related to pulmonary oxygen toxicity would ever come into play. I was reminded of that many years later when I took my exam to be a technical instructor and encountered the same thing. In one of the problems I had to do all the math calculations prior to determining that a certain technical dive was limited by pulmonary oxygen toxicity concerns. The diving scenario they had to concoct for that problem was absurd--I couldn't imagine ever getting myself in that situation.

Consequently, pulmonary oxygen toxicity is pretty much eliminated from modern recreational nitrox courses, as is just about all the math that used to be involved. That's just an example--a lot of other stuff was justifiably dropped as well. The course is much, much less intense than it used to be, and that is because of the realization that it did not have to be all that difficult in the first place. As a technical diver, I deal with high partial pressure of oxygen, including breathing pure oxygen, for extended periods of time, and I never have to think about most of the more complicated stuff of that in my personal diving--I only have to deal with it when teaching students.

Course prices and attitudes thus differ greatly depending upon where individuals fall on that scale of change. Some prices are still very high, reflecting the old attitudes about how much time needed to be devoted to the course and the importance of its content. Other prices are more in line with the lessened amount of content. Some people lament the loss of some of the stuff that is no longer taught, decrying the dummying down of the course, without really considering whether or not it is needed.

A friend of mine, a technical diving instructor, thinks that he could teach a full recreational nitrox class in 5 minutes and teach students all they need to know, Others would react with pure horror at that suggestion. I think that disparity is reflective of the spectrum of attitudes in the industry.

you overpaid. Any good technical diver should be able to teach a full blown nitrox course in 2 hours. It's not rocket science, basic, basic algebra founded on some concepts that you should already know from open water.

A friend of mine, a technical diving instructor, thinks that he could teach a full recreational nitrox class in 5 minutes and teach students all they need to know, Others would react with pure horror at that suggestion. I think that disparity is reflective of the spectrum of attitudes in the industry.

When I was in Tahiti a couple of years ago the operator had everyone on enriched air, whether they asked for it or not, or had used it before.

Those that had not used enriched air got the 5-10 minute instruction. At one level using it is pretty simple.

Around here, the courses mentioned in the OP (converted to US funds from Canadian at today'e exchange rate) are:
PADI EANx (LDS): $153
PADI EANx (online): $272
PADI AOW: $190
PADI Rescue: $267.

Anyone doing Enriched Air online is clearly overpaying...

Around here, the courses mentioned in the OP (converted to US funds from Canadian at today'e exchange rate) are:
PADI EANx (LDS): $153
PADI EANx (online): $272
PADI AOW: $190
PADI Rescue: $267.

Anyone doing Enriched Air online is clearly overpaying...
Agreed - I just did my AOW and it was only slightly more expensive than the online EANx course. Considering the instructor input in each, the EANx is way too high.

Now to find someone that will do EANx locally without ripping me off...

Yikes, I took the PADI Nitrox course at Sport Chalet (RIP) in December for $75! You should check out some of the other LDSs in the area. Eco Dive Center sometimes teaches PADI courses cheap - get on their email list! It's a moot point since you already paid, though.

Regardless, I think you will enjoy diving Nitrox. I set my computer for Nitrox when diving with it (not leave it on air as some do) and I find I have less fatigue after a day of 3 or 4 dives, and I also am less likely to have a headache afterwards (I am really prone to headaches). It's worth it to me to pay an extra $10 for a tank of Nitrox pretty much any time it's available. Others have different experiences but I like Nitrox. :)

Yes I'd agree you overpaid. Our shop's current price in $170 CAD (=maybe $120US). Think mine was a bit less (but 10 years ago and before online stuff).

Yeah I think I overpaid. But it is what it is. My preferred LDS only had two offerings, and the online one was only $25 more. It looks like I had some other options, but I'm not going to sweat it. Most of my local shops were of similar price. If I had of done some good research I think I could have saved myself about $80. But it was important to me to do it through PADI in case I ever want to get my Master Diver cert.

But the one lesson I've had to learn a few times now is that what you dont know will cost you...

At least you are taking a positive attitude towards your training. Kooks to you sir...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom