Padi Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Issuing a replacement card is not as trivial as you'd believe. If it was only a database lookup, it would be simple but it's more than often not something else. People forget to use a middle initial, enter their birthdays incorrectly and so on. This invariably results in a call to the agency who have to spend time researching the card. Time and organization costs money. I assure you that when an agency does revenue planning for the next financial period, they don't use "replacement cards" as a strategic source of planned revenue. OTOH they have to budget for x number of CSRs to handle all those calls. It's a service -plain and simple. If you lose your card and want a new one, it's going to cost you $$. Get used to it.

Issuing a replacement card is not as trivial as you'd believe. If it was only a database lookup, it would be simple but it's more than often not something else. People forget to use a middle initial, enter their birthdays incorrectly and so on. This invariably results in a call to the agency who have to spend time researching the card. Time and organization costs money. I assure you that when an agency does revenue planning for the next financial period, they don't use "replacement cards" as a strategic source of planned revenue. OTOH they have to budget for x number of CSRs to handle all those calls. It's a service -plain and simple. If you lose your card and want a new one, it's going to cost you $$. Get used to it.

If you go on the website and type your name and DOB, you do the database query yourself. It then produces a list of certs and asks you to confirm it is you; PADI don't have to research anything.

BSAC charge £11 for new cert cards. BSAC is a non-profit organisation with fewer certifications issued than PADI. I therefore assume the cost includes printing, postage, and a modest admin fee. Assuming PADI can send out the card for the same price, they are charging a whopping 136% mark-up by selling a card for £26.

If you go on the website and type your name and DOB, you do the database query yourself. It then produces a list of certs and asks you to confirm it is you; PADI don't have to research anything.

BSAC charge £11 for new cert cards. BSAC is a non-profit organisation with fewer certifications issued than PADI. I therefore assume the cost includes printing, postage, and a modest admin fee. Assuming PADI can send out the card for the same price, they are charging a whopping 136% mark-up by selling a card for £26.

Did you actually read my post?

I'll try and write this in VERY EASY TO READ ENGLISH

1. People lose their card.

2. They go online to try and replace it.

3. Most do and get a replacement card issued.

4. Some cannot locate their records and end up calling PADI or SSI or NAUI for help.

5. THIS IS WHERE IT GETS EXPENSIVE. HIRING and RETAINING PEOPLE TO HANDLE THESE QUERIES costs MONEY.

6. This is where the expense lies. Salaries, space, training, benefits all cost money. Just to have a warm body ready to talk to you and help people get a new card. Welcome to the world of business. You'd be surprised how little they make from card re-issuance. It's considered to be a nuisance service but one that must be provided.

6. I know BSAC is a volunteer organization and therefore "free" to all members. It is also a dot on a gnat's arse on a giant dog called PADI.

Last edited by a moderator:
6. I know BSAC is a volunteer organization and therefore "free" to all members. It is also a dot on a gnat's arse on a giant dog called PADI.

I know you're slightly wound up by the poster you refer too, and that's okay.

I think your comment above is a little harsh though BSAC provide excellent diver training, especially up to and including Rescue - which is 2 Qualifications rather than the 3 + some speciality cards that the commercials require for equivalency. Diving in the Areas around the English coast - which is the basis of the BSAC training stems from - isn't to be sniffed at

Unlike commercials, the person who instruct you will be your buddy on other dives, so it's in their interest in providing quality training.

I'm a product of PADI, but am also a BSAC Dive leader. I'm about to embark on my PADI DM, which is an equivalent qualification, but with different emphasis. I believe the two complement themselves.

All that said, I agree totally that you can't compare the BSAC costs against the PADI costs - maybe the price of issuing a replacement card, but that's nothing If you were to charge the commercial rate for a BSAC course, it would cost way more than a PADI course but again BSAC courses are structure around the availability of "free instructors" and a non diving season for theory, rather than having to take a commercial stance in the market place

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify. I have nothing personal against BSAC. I have dived with many BSAC divers and instructors. Their training and methodology is outstanding,

Do not compare cost structures and pricing. That is ridiculous and serves no-one.

Did you actually read my post?

I'll try and write this in VERY EASY TO READ ENGLISH

4. Some cannot locate their records and end up calling PADI or SSI or NAUI for help.

5. THIS IS WHERE IT GETS EXPENSIVE. HIRING and RETAINING PEOPLE TO HANDLE THESE QUERIES costs MONEY.

6. This is where the expense lies. Salaries, space, training, benefits all cost money. Just to have a warm body ready to talk to you and help people get a new card. Welcome to the world of business. You'd be surprised how little they make from card re-issuance. It's considered to be a nuisance service but one that must be provided.

So basically, if I want to order a new card online, I have to pay a premium for all the drongos that can't navigate a simple website and look up their details?

Since when are BSAC 'free' ?

BSAC levy an annual membership fee. They dont profit from c-cards.

PADI profit from c-cards.
They don't levy an annual membership fee.

Since when are BSAC 'free' ?

BSAC levy an annual membership fee. They dont profit from c-cards.

PADI profit from c-cards.
They don't levy an annual membership fee.
I would be willing to bet annual membership fees exceed the revenue generated from lost c cards (particularly if you adjust for membership numbers)

So basically, if I want to order a new card online, I have to pay a premium for all the drongos that can't navigate a simple website and look up their details?

I think that a Drongo is a bird (it is) but the answer to your question is a definitive yes. You DO have to pay when you want someone to help you after you lose your card and you want a new one. Oddly enough all agencies charge about the same amount for the same service. Are they all equally devious in this concern?

I think that a Drongo is a bird (it is) but the answer to your question is a definitive yes. You DO have to pay when you want someone to help you after you lose your card and you want a new one. Oddly enough all agencies charge about the same amount for the same service. Are they all equally devious in this concern?

No, I don't want somebody to help me, because I am capable of remembering my name and DOB, which is all you need to order a new card. You accused me of lacking basic reading skills earlier, but it appears it is you who suffers with comprehension. You said:

So you are suggesting those that can use a simple online automated application must pay the same fee as the thickos that cannot remember their name and have to phone them. If this is the reason, why not charge something like expenses +15% to people that can use a website, and a moron tax to those who have to phone up?

As I have said more times than I care to count, all agencies do not charge the same - PADI charges £26, whereas BSAC charge £11.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom