PADI has been sold to another investment group. Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive business is not all that healthy.

A 300 million decrease in the asking price for a very high margin company, flipped quickly,
says all that.

The dive business is not all that healthy.

A 300 million decrease in the asking price for a very high margin company, flipped quickly,
says all that.
I'm told that their potential liabilities for outstanding lawsuits is stupid right now. Far more than even the deepest of pockets.

I'm told that their potential liabilities for outstanding lawsuits is stupid right now. Far more than even the deepest of pockets.

PADI has usually settled out of court for their many lawsuits.

I have been with PADI since 2007, have taken courses all the way through DM. In 2013 I interviewed two dive centers for my IDC. I was amazed at the cost, and how much of the cost went to nothing but fees and testing fees. Also the membership requirements, the insurance cost. It would have taken a LONG time to recuperate my investment.
I think PADI got away from making diving fun and affordable. Also, having interviewed other agencies, PADI needs to update their 'model', both business and training.
Good luck to those shops and people still with them

Did you really mean to "recuperate" your investment? I mean how sick was it? I once made some sick investments but I was able to recoup some of my money.

Back
Top Bottom