PADI Junior Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PPS.......I asked about the card upgrade when she gets to 15................and someone suggested its a "pay and you get" scenario.........

PPS.......I asked about the card upgrade when she gets to 15................and someone suggested its a "pay and you get" scenario.........

Yeah. Not worth the £20+ to be honest. I've seen 20 yr old divers with JOW cards. I'd wait until she wants to do advanced.

We were googling this in Hawaii before we went diving with two junior open water divers. My daughter said, "it's printed on the card." She pulled out her card and it says,

"Junior Open Water Diver -- 10-11 With Parent/PADI Pro 12m/40 ft -- 12+ with adult"

So it looks to us that if you are 10-11 you are limited to only 40 feet but if you are 12 and up there is only the standard limit of Open Water divers.

Hope that helps. Not sure if it's in the book or not. We didn't bring a book with us.

I raised this when I took my 14 year old son diving recently. During training we were told 12m until he hits 15.

I got as many different views on this as there were dive pros at the dive. When diving alone we can do what he feels comfortably with but with dive pros who are unsure of the rules it can prove restricting.

He's not far off 15 so we agreed he would wait until after his next birthday before doing the AOW, it saves a bit of cash on updating his card to the adult OW, after all we qualified together and he did exactly the same course that I did; if anything he went deeper as he so much smaller than I am so kneeling on the platform I was a good half a metre shallower.

Obviously not being an instructor or pro myself I don't know what the manual says but I can't see anything in the student manual for the 12-15 year olds.

I did ask about the upgrade from JOW to adult and it is a simple as pay and get.

Last edited:
From the Instructor manual

Age — 10 and 11 Year Olds
Depth – Maximum 12 metres/40 feet
After certification – Must dive with a parent/guardian or PADI
Professional to 12 metre/40 feet maximum depth

Age — 12 to 14 Year Olds

Depth – Maximum 18 metres/60 feet for Junior Open Water Divers.
Maximum 21 metres/70 feet for continuing education.
After certification – Must dive with an adult certified diver

I raised this when I took my 14 year old son diving recently. During training we were told 12m until he hits 15....
Obviously not being an instructor or pro myself I don't know what the manual says but I can't see anything in the student manual for the 12-15 year olds.

Junior Diver certification cards state the restrictions based on age.

10-11 year olds are restricted to diving with a parent, guardian, or PADI Professional to 12 metre/40 feet maximum depth.

12-14 year olds must dive with an adult certified diver to 18/metre/60 feet (21 metre/70 feet maximum depth with further training).

(darn, Simon- beat me too it - oh well, at least Simon-'s information is confirmed)

Last edited:
The card doesn't actually state depth for 12+ it just says 'with adult' for 10-11 it says 'with parent/PADI pro 12m/40' hence the confusion.

Not really an issue but we travel later in the year before his 15th birthday so it's nice to know that we won't be too restricted.

A gambling instructor!

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom