PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a lot of talk about what if the computer craps out on you? If mine failed in the water then I would end the dive. I also keep a set of the dive tables in my dive box so I could use them if needed.

Someone mentioned writing the NDL's on a slate. I have never done that but that sounds like a good idea.

What if your bottom timer fails on you? Or your depth gauge? Or your spg?

Modern bottom timers are nothing more than a computer with few functions beyond counting time. But even if you dive an analog timer, they still fail.

That is such a red-herring argument it's not even worth engaging. For every person you can find who has had a computer fail on them personally, you can find another who had a piece of gear essential to diving without a computer fail on them. Unless nad until someone can produce data that says unequivocally that a modern dive computer has a shorter mean time to failure compared to depth gauges and bottom timers combined, it is not a valid point of discussion.

Given that modern dive timers are made using the same cases and components and in the same factories as modern personal dive computers, there is good reason to suspect that such data is simply not going to be found. It would be highly surprising to find that a bottom timer had a significantly higher MTF to a PDC coming out of the same factory using the same batteries, cases, displays, and so on.

So while it is a good sounding rhetoric, if you actually examine the claim, it's spurious without data.

I haven't read the whole thread (followed it a long time ago). Maybe some people that use watches, tables, etc. as backups to their computer figure that the actual tables can never fail....The other stuff can but they may know their deepest depth before the depth gauge crapped out? Or maybe they bought all the analog stuff like a lot of us did and don't want to spend money now on a backup computer? Computers are good and tables are good.

Last edited:
1. Everybody uses GPS? Does anybody know how to Read a map and plot coordinates?
2. Dive Tables should be KEPT ALWAYS in teaching. It's the route of all the information in those darn computers minus formulas to it EAD and MOD etc.

The Dive Table are still taught in NITROX EANx classes thoroughly. With a dabble on dive computer and how to set it up for EANx. But 90% of the 2 days course is those dam comfusing as hell tables =0).

That being said don't take the course (classroom) when your running a hi fever and trying to figure out on tablet #3 how long is your allowed bottom time for repeat dives lol...

Frankly I'm gobsmacked at this thread. In a thread in the basic scuba forum someone is asking if they should get a backup puter in case their main fails. DO WOT??
Someone else is saying he had his main puter die, so it screwed his whole dive holiday because he only had one puter -- again HU??
Ok fair enough using the tables you have to dive a more conservative profile and maybee less bottom time in your second and third dive but heck I'd rather that than stuck on board a boat whilst my buddies are diving.
Are people honestly that bad at what is barely above grade school arithmetic?

Last edited:
Frankly I'm gobsmacked at this thread. In a thread in basic scuba someone is asking if they should get a backup puter in case their main fails. DO WOT??
Someone else is saying he had his main puter die so it screwed his whole dive holiday because he only had one puter -- again HU??
Ok fair enough using the tables you have to dive a more conservative profile and maybee less bottom time in your second and third dive but heck I'd rather that than stuck on board a boat whilst my buddies are diving.
Are people honestly that bad at what is barely above grade school arithmatic?

I agree. I am also always amazed at the number of people that are less proficient than a grade schooler at assembling their thoughts into a coherent sentence with proper spelling and grammar. Fixed that for you.
Frankly, I'm gobsmacked at this thread. [-]In a thread in basic scuba[/-] In a basic scuba thread, someone is asking if they should get a backup [-]puter[/-] computer in case their main one fails. [-]DO WOT??[/-]What gives?
Someone else is saying he had his main [-]puter[/-] computer die, so it screwed his whole dive holiday because he only had one [-]puter[/-]computer.[-] -- again HU??[/-]Again, huh?
Ok, fair enough using the tables you have to dive a more conservative profile and [-]maybee[/-] maybe less bottom time in your second and third dive but heck I'd rather that, than be stuck on board a boat whilst my buddies are diving.
Are people honestly that bad at what is barely above grade school [-]arithmatic[/-] arithmetic?

Last edited:
I agree. I am also always amazed at the number of people that are less proficient than a grade schooler at assembling their thoughts into a coherent sentence with proper spelling and grammar. Fixed that for you.

:rofl3:

On boat dives in Southern California the divemaster will usually ask "Anyone not using a computer?" Out of 20 - 30 divers usually zero or maybe just 1 are not using computers. Now many of the DIR crowd out here don't use them but I suspect they just don't bother speaking up when the DM asks that question.

In Maui I learned the hard way. If asked, I say I am using a computer.

I omit the fact that it's in gauge mode.

Around here, the boats don't tend to give me grief about it. Rather, many of the captains have expressed how nice it is to have folks on the boat who will surface within a minute or two of when they said they would (which I inferred was not often the case with computer divers).

I agree. I am also always amazed at the number of people [-]that[/-] [red]who[/red] are less proficient than a grade[red]-[/red]schooler at assembling their thoughts into [-]a[/-] coherent sentence[red]s[/red] with proper spelling and grammar. Fixed that for you [red][fragment][/red].

Turnabout is always fair play.

In Maui I learned the hard way. If asked, I say I am using a computer.

I omit the fact that it's in gauge mode.

Lol, what happened?

I actually don't think I've ever been asked. If I were, though, I don't think I'd volunteer that my "computers" are in gauge mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom