PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Your second statement is so false on so many levels that I have to wonder why you made it. All??? They monitor very little and mostly when there is an accident or a report.

I don't know what certification Agency you are referring to, but they're tasked with acting responsibly by law and may be included in a civil action as a result. Agencies gain feedback from Students to ascertain any breach of Agency Standards or improper Instructor behavior. "So false on so many levels." What are you going on about???

For what it's worth in regards to feedback from students, a few weeks after my last course (which was last month), NAUI sent me a follow-up questionnaire asking me about my comfort level with what I learned and asking for feedback on the instructors and their teaching methods, etc. I think there were some specifics too like, "did your instructor teach you X?" there was also a place for me to fill in my feedback on anything. I have no idea if this is random or if they ask all students, but I think it's a wonderful idea for keeping up quality of standards.

I have no idea if this is random or if they ask all students, but I think it's a wonderful idea for keeping up quality of standards.

They don't ask all students, unless it's something new this year. I didn't get anything like that after my OW course last year.

For what it's worth in regards to feedback from students, a few weeks after my last course (which was last month), NAUI sent me a follow-up questionnaire asking me about my comfort level with what I learned and asking for feedback on the instructors and their teaching methods, etc. I think there were some specifics too like, "did your instructor teach you X?" there was also a place for me to fill in my feedback on anything. I have no idea if this is random or if they ask all students, but I think it's a wonderful idea for keeping up quality of standards.

The same methods that PADI use

They don't ask all students, unless it's something new this year. I didn't get anything like that after my OW course last year.

It might be random as it looks like it's been around a few years. There is a link to it on the NAUI website, but I specifically received an e-mail asking me to go to the website and fill it out. So I am not sure if you need an "invite" to take it or not.

I know that some Agencies request the Instructor to include the Student's e-mail address for this purpose. Not every Student may be included in a questionnaire, but the fact that it's done regularly will keep an Instructor on his toes. I ran afoul with PADI several years back because I included sub-surface rescue and altitude tables as a requirement. They told me I was in breach of PADI Standards for doing so and had to discontinue this practice. I left PADI as a result. As I was certified with other Agencies and owned the Dive Shop, it was a simple decision. I do know from experience that they pay close attention to such input (as they all should).

The same methods that PADI use

That's good to hear. I think it's good that the agencies do that. I just couldn't speak for PADI courses since all my classes were all NAUI with one TDI class mixed in there. I keep going back to the same two instructors that I met teaching though a Navy base (who happen to be NAUI instructors) because I think they are excellent all around and I like their teaching methods.

PADI has also been doing this for years and years. It used to be done by way of a postal mailing (I received one of them for my Rescue course ages ago), but now it's all by email. I think they send a questionnaire out to EVERY student diver now.

Well, it's good that the agencies survey. They can maintain quality and check on what students are learning to make sure minimum standards are met. The reason I brought it up is because there was the question brought up if any agencies even follow up with students and their training--that is why I answered that knew NAUI did. Like I said, I couldn't speak for PADI since I never took a PADI class. It's good that others chimed in.

As big as PADI is, I am surprised that they survey all students instead of doing random surveys. I am curious to know what they do (maybe I will look it up). I think they have the numbers to do good, quality random surveys and they would get data quicker (and solve any problems faster) and at a much lower cost. Random samples, if the population size is large enough, are statistically accurate. But then again, I am used to surveys more along the lines of customer satisfaction surveys where I work. Maybe scuba agencies do things differently since it's an issue of safety.

This has been an interesting thread! From what I gather, NAUI vs PADI all boils down to first the instructors (find a good one, regardless of agency, first and foremost) and second to that consider your philosophy you take towards scuba education: do you like something more regimented and uniform or something more customized or tailor made. You get similar (almost the same) standards met with either certifying agency and both as just as accepted. I think maybe it's more of consideration at higher levels as the paths of the agencies really seem to diverge at the Master level.

That's my takeaway as a mere diving student :wink:

...From what I gather, NAUI vs PADI all boils down to first the instructors (find a good one, regardless of agency, first and foremost) and second to that consider your philosophy you take towards scuba education: do you like something more regimented and uniform or something more customized or tailor made. You get similar (almost the same) standards met with either certifying agency and both as just as accepted. I think maybe it's more of consideration at higher levels as the paths of the agencies really seem to diverge at the Master level.

The Standards of all Agencies (with the exception of LA County) have generally been reduced (made easier and shorter) over the years. This goes for all levels of training (including Instructor). Although every Agency has a degree of variation within their training program, I think that it's fair to say that the Agency that delivers the closest program to its established Standard is PADI. Agencies like NAUI have the greatest variance. This is a result of their philosophy of allowing their Instructors to increase what is required for certification.

For example, my programs are several times more intensive (with much more emphasis on fitness, task loading, etc.) than a PADI program. So your right; it depends on what the Student wants. There's a place/market for training programs of various types, but generally courses are minimized for the sake of competitive advantage and profit (you can make more money on two courses of 25 hours than one course of 50 hours).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom