Palancar Pier Access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pier was empty today. We did our SI at the beach club (as per usual). I was the only person who ordered food (I am always starving after the first dive). Others in our group asked if it was OK if they sat at the table without ordering anything and were told yes.

Last edited:
Nothing is this world is free except the air we breathe (so far). As Christi stated, this land and dock owner has every right to charge whatever fee he cares to charge to use his dock. He owns something that he wants to make something more of and who can fault him for that.

I personally see this as perhaps the greatest opportunity the Coz dive op community has ever seen. To not only work with this owner but perhaps become partners in establishing a common docking point that all member dive ops can use with new rest rooms and all the development/expansion that can follow.

The free docking days for surface intervals that have been taken for granted forever are going to come an end. The dive ops can continue to enjoy the free docks at the clubs that allow it for as long as it lasts but that, as a long term plan, is going to come to an end at which point all dive ops will be doing the float SI or a near shore anchor.

My advice to the dive ops is this... This owner is looking to do more with his land and dock and he wants to monetize it. He just doesn't know how to it other starting to charge these minimal docking fees. The entire dive op community should view this as an opportunity just as the cruise lines realized years ago... Cruise lines can own the ships but the docking fees go up and up. As such, they developed their own ports on Islands they bought and now own in their entirety as a destination.

This little piece of land and a simple dock could provide substantial returns for all who chose to be a part of it. The opportunity is there. The only question is can the owner of this land and the dive industry get together and turn this into a SI destination for the financial benefit of all involved and all that could grow from it.

Last edited:
Nothing is this world is free except the air we breathe (so far). As Christi stated, this land and dock owner has every right to charge whatever fee he cares to charge to use his dock. He owns something that he wants to make something more of and who can fault him for that.

I personally see this as perhaps the greatest opportunity the Coz dive op community has ever seen. To not only work with this owner but perhaps become partners in establishing a common docking point that all member dive ops can use with new rest rooms and all the development/expansion that can follow.

The free docking days for surface intervals that have been taken for granted forever are going to come an end. The dive ops can continue to enjoy the free docks at the clubs that allow it for as long as it lasts but that, as a long term plan, is going to come to an end at which point all dive ops will be doing the float SI or a near shore anchor.

My advice to the dive ops is this... This owner is looking to do more with his land and dock and he wants to monetize it. He just doesn't know how to it other starting to charge these minimal docking fees. The entire dive op community should view this as an opportunity just as the cruise lines realized years ago... Cruise lines can own the ships but the docking fees go up and up. As such, they developed their own ports on Islands they bought and now own in their entirety as a destination.

This little piece of land and a simple dock could provide substantial returns for all who chose to be a part of it. The opportunity is there. The only question is can the owner of this land and the dive industry get together and turn this into a SI destination for the financial benefit of all involved and all that could grow from it.
Exactly - well said.

I was there on Friday and there were 7 boats there from 6 different shops - including one boat with a very rude and obnoxious DM giving the pier employee a hard time.

It blows my mind at those who are complaining about this and who feel entitled to free pier access just because "we've been docking here for 30 years" as the obnoxious DM said (FYI - the pier hasn't been there for 30 years). Those complaining and feeling "cheated" are cutting their nose off to spite their face.

I’m excited about this project and for the space our divers will have to relax - for those who don’t want to “play” it just leaves more room for those of us who see the bigger picture.

Last edited:
LOL - no boats stopping there... That docking fee will cost the owner far more in lost revenue.

Do you mind sharing where you get your fills? I have to pay for the air I breathe.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the air we breathe in general - not tank fills

LOL - no boats stopping there... That docking fee will cost the owner far more in lost revenue.

Lost revenue? hahah - and in fact it's not true that no boats are stopping there. There were 7 boats on Friday when I was there from 6 different shops

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom