Palm beach shark diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vincent54

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to take my son on a short dive trip to Palm Beach area. I'm not acquainted with the local dive operations . Does anyone have a recommendation for a good boat dive. I remember reading about Emerald, but that's it.

The trip would be in April or May. Are the Sharks still around, or do they go north. Also, I'm use to the pool conditions of Brac. If there are any extreme conditions I need to plan for please advise. Water temp and wetsuit as well. Thanks

I'm not a local so I don't know all of the dive shops, but my dive shop owner in Michigan is buddies with Jim Abernethy of Abernethy scuba adventures. We went out with them in May of 2014 and saw a few sharks at "shark canyon", was a bit rough that time of year, but I still had enough fun that I spent an extra night there and did a night dive at the blue heron bridge and then did two more boat dives with them the following day.

I am heading out with them tomorrow for a 3 tank shark dive so we will see how that goes... Sounds like the wave conditions have been awesome...

Sharks are around all times of the year but winter tends to be better because lemon sharks migrate through. They will be gone by May, but plenty of reef sharks, nurse sharks, and bull sharks around, but cannot be guaranteed on any particular dive. However, you might see lots of turtles that time of year as it is just before nesting season.

Emerald runs an open-crate, bloody fish hand-feeding operation, in deep water (90' or 130" depending on site). No protective gear or protocols that I can see from posted videos. They sometimes actively spear fish in the area to draw sharks. Not my cup of tea (and I have done other shark feeds such as Stuart Cove's) but they have a local following. Certainly the most reliable way to see a shark around here, and by far the most dangerous.

Other charters will drop you on reefs where the current or previous day reports indicate sharks. These sharks, in "natural" conditions, will be more stand-offish and exhibit less excitable behavior, but, as I said, cannot be guaranteed on a particular dive.

Dive conditions range from 45' reefs to 100' deep wrecks. Some of the most beautiful reefs are 90' ledges off of Jupiter. Nitrox is best, by far. Current is usually present and moderate to strong. Drift diving is the norm. SMB is mandatory, as is a whistle. You can expect hot drops and drifting ascents where the boat will pick you up after you deploy your smb.. Vis is usually good, 50 typical to 100+ on some days. The reefs are not as big, colorful or lush as Cayman. No walls. But, the reefs host lots of big animals, and the wrecks, especially, host big animals including lots of goliath grouper and sometimes game fish.

Weather is unpredictable in April and May. Wind fronts can come through and create rough seas. You need to check conditions literally a day or two before a trio to see if you want to go out. Expect water temps in the high 70s to low 80s. A 3 mil is fine for most people.

as for trips, the "area" includes Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter. Some favorite trips"

Boynton: The Castor Wreck (must-do for goliath grouper) and any number of gorgeous shallow reefs. The main attractions on the reefs are turtles and long forests of soft corals and big sponges. Really nice, even if you are used to Cayman.

West Palm: Some nicer shallow reefs such as Ron's Rock. Turtles. Good wrecks are the Amaryllis and Governor's Riverwalk. Goliaths, turtles and often sharks here.

Jupiter: Wrecks: Zion (also called Wreck Trek) for goliaths and sharks; MG-111 for all sorts of critters and fish (60' for a good second dive). Deep reefs: Juno Ledge and Monkey Ledge--beautiful but 90' deep. Shallow reefs: Tunnels, a very bland ledge that never disappoints with turtles, sharks and goliaths, as well as big schools of fish.

Charter Boats (some are tied to shops):

Boynton: Splashdown Divers (also a small shop); Underwater Explorers

Palm Beach: Jim Abernethy (a shark expert)(also a shop); Pura Vida (also a shop); Narcosis Dive Charters

Jupiter: Jupiter Dive Center (large shop and two boats); Cap't Sl8r; Emerald (at your own risk).

If you are looking for a good shop not tied to a particular boat to coordinate for you, I recommend Force E in Riviera Beach and Scubaworks in Jupiter.

If you dive in Jupiter and ask to see the Tunnels site, you're likely to see Reef sharks. There are two groups that live on the reef site year round. I dive with Jupiter Dive Center which doesn't do shark feeding dives but does go to spots you're likely to see sharks. I've seen Lemon sharks, a Tiger shark. Reef sharks and Nurse sharks on my last two dive trips (on Saturday and two weeks before). Capt Sl8er also does similar dives. Emerald does the shark feeding dives where you'll see sharks up close and personal because they are drawn in with food. From what others have indicated, Emerald is looking for experienced divers that are very self sufficient and nitrox certified. Lemons usually migrate away in the spring but it seems there are some that do hang around year round since they show up for Emerald's feeding dives

In WPB, I've had good experiences with Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures, Narcosis, Sandy's Sunday and Scuba Club. The latter is heavily geared to newer divers

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for info. Just what I needed to know. I will research the shark feeding dives, don't know too much about them Cheers

In reference to Emerald Dive Charters, here's a fairly recent thread, Lemon Sharks of the shipwreck “Esso Bonaire III” with Emerald Charters, which had quite a bit of info. I found interesting regarding how such a dive may be conducted.

Richard.

P.S.: If you want to delve into the shark feeding debate issue, I've collected a listing of some threads from the past few years. I didn't get back into every one, but they may offer some use.

Lemon Sharks of the shipwreck “Esso Bonaire III” with Emerald Charters - Lemon Sharks of the shipwreck "Esso Bonaire III" with Emerald Charters

2005 - Shark Dives vs Au Natural. shark dives vs au natural

2005 - Feeding Sharks. Feeding Sharks

2008 - Shark Bites Live-aboard Guest. Shark bites liveaboard guest

2009 - Shark Feeding. Shark Feeding

2010 - Shark Feeding Dives in USA? Why Not??? Shark feeding dives in USA? Why not???

2010 - Shark And Other Fish Feeding. shark and other fish feeding

2011 - Chumming/Baiting For Shark Dives. Chumming/Baiting for Shark Dives

2014 - Shark Divine…Florida? Bahamas? Shark Diving... Florida? Bahamas?

2015 - Jim Abernathy Baited Shark Dive. Jim Abernethy baited shark dive

2015 - Shark Court For Randy Emerald Charters Jupiter. Shark Court for Randy Emerald Charters Jupiter

2015 - Proposed interactive shark diving in the Caymans. Proposed interactive shark diving in the Caymans (this thread was noteworthy for broader discussion of locations & shark species).

My dive trip with Abernethy was fantastic today. Other than the fact that I flooded my GoPro before the first dive so wasn't able to shoot video on my oWn camera, but another diver had a camera that I shot two of the dives with that she has promised to email me when she gets home. Jim is truly an excellent resource for learning about sharks and makes sure you are as safe as you can be diving with sharks... Abernethys shop does recommend you are nitrox certified because we were between 90 to 100 ft deep on all three dives, but does allow you to use air.

As for the dives, the first dive we had about 5 lemon sharks come hang out with us as well as a very curious Goliath grouper. During our SIT more sharks came in, the second dive we had about a dozen lemons, two nurse sharks a tiger shark and two goliaths. The third dive was the same except the tiger didn't come back, she came in to check us out, hit the bait bucket then swam around us all in a circle several times then took off out of sight. THe lemons were all over us. I've only had two dives with sharks prior to this trip and they were both with abernethys at shark canyon where there was a lemon and a few reef sharks, so this was a bit intimidating at first with so many sharks swimming around and swimming in between divers only a few feet away from each other. We sat on the bottom until the first person hit 1500psi then slowly came up in to shallower water while he sharks followed us. It really was intimidating at times because then sharks are coming from every direction including beneath you... On several occasions I was watching a shark come towards me from below then looked up just in time to see a shark right at my head level swim over top of me... A few times they bumped me and I had to push them out of my space, but all in all it was an amazing trip to learn about sharks talking to a true shark expert who has spent most of his life watching and studying sharks, and learned a new appreciation for the beautiful creatures to confirm what my dive shop always says...that sharks are not dangerous.... As long as you are smart about what you are doing... Having that many sharks all around us without anyone getting a chunk taken out of them shows me they have been given a very bad rap by the media and discovery channel.

My dive trip with Abernethy was fantastic today. Other than the fact that I flooded my GoPro before the first dive so wasn't able to shoot video on my oWn camera, but another diver had a camera that I shot two of the dives with that she has promised to email me when she gets home. Jim is truly an excellent resource for learning about sharks and makes sure you are as safe as you can be diving with sharks... Abernethys shop does recommend you are nitrox certified because we were between 90 to 100 ft deep on all three dives, but does allow you to use air.

As for the dives, the first dive we had about 5 lemon sharks come hang out with us as well as a very curious Goliath grouper. During our SIT more sharks came in, the second dive we had about a dozen lemons, two nurse sharks a tiger shark and two goliaths. The third dive was the same except the tiger didn't come back, she came in to check us out, hit the bait bucket then swam around us all in a circle several times then took off out of sight. THe lemons were all over us. I've only had two dives with sharks prior to this trip and they were both with abernethys at shark canyon where there was a lemon and a few reef sharks, so this was a bit intimidating at first with so many sharks swimming around and swimming in between divers only a few feet away from each other. We sat on the bottom until the first person hit 1500psi then slowly came up in to shallower water while he sharks followed us. It really was intimidating at times because then sharks are coming from every direction including beneath you... On several occasions I was watching a shark come towards me from below then looked up just in time to see a shark right at my head level swim over top of me... A few times they bumped me and I had to push them out of my space, but all in all it was an amazing trip to learn about sharks talking to a true shark expert who has spent most of his life watching and studying sharks, and learned a new appreciation for the beautiful creatures to confirm what my dive shop always says...that sharks are not dangerous.... As long as you are smart about what you are doing... Having that many sharks all around us without anyone getting a chunk taken out of them shows me they have been given a very bad rap by the media and discovery channel.

I'm glad you had a good time, but just because nobody was injured does not mean it is safe. Your expert has had at least one shark bite fatality on one of his trips.

Sharks are not dangerous... I guess you just have to know what to do when they bump into you - right?

Sharks are not the big bad guys that they have been made out to be. With that said, accidents happen... If you google Abernethy I'm pretty sure he himself has been bitten at least twice by sharks, in which both times he admits he was in the wrong for moving the bait bucket when he shouldn't have and ended up with a case of mistaken identity... but he is still leading the way to educate people about sharks and protect sharks. If you don't agree with his ways then stay out of The ocean so you don't run in to any sharks.... If you want to learn about them and gain an appreciation for them then give him a shout. The majority of the world only knows sharks as killers because of the movie jaws... Did you know that the guy who made the movie jaws spent the rest of his life regretting releasing it because of the negative view of sharks it created? Without jaws the media wouldn't publicize shark bites as some big thing... You are more likely to DIE from a pig attacking you then you are to be Bitten (not just die) from a shark, you are more likely to win the powerball jackpot than be bitten by a shark... yet the world thinks sharks are terrible... My entire family thinks I am insane for going on the shark trip today, but without people like Abernethy sharks will soon be extinct because no one outside of a fairly small group of divers really appreciates them or would miss them when they are gone.

People die from scuba diving all the time but no one suggests that we should stop scuba diving, so one guy dies on a shark bait trip and that means it should end? Everyone signs the same waiver acknowledging what we do is inherently dangerous, but we still do it... Some with even less training than others...

Last edited:
rdrining, I am curious to know, how was the dive conducted? What depths? Was the bait clean (not bloody) and locked in a crate so that only the scent would attract the sharks. Was there hand feeding? Were the divers kept in a tight group, i.e. touching distance, even during the ascent? Why did the sharks follow the divers up, was the bait brought up along with the divers? Why were the sharks bumping you, what excited them to such a degree as sharks usually keep a distance?

I am thinking about one of these trips, but would like to know these things before I decide.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom