Panny 7x14 or Oly 9x18 m4/3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If one were considering a PEN and wanted to get into wide angle for the first time, is it better to start off with the 8mm pana fisheye and its corresponding zen dp100 port or the 7/14 or 9/18 and and the wa100?

Personal opinion: The 9-18 with the zen port is a real bargain compared to the others, costing say $1050. For the wider lenses you're looking at $700 + 800 for the 8mm lens and zen port, or $950 + 500 for the 7-14mm lens and zen port. If you are Bill Gates, get one of each.

These are wonderful optics, but from what I've read here, the wider you get the harder it is to compose a shot with the subject centered and minimal garbage in the background. You must get very close, and position carefully. The result is definitely wider, but you only need that for very huge subjects like wrecks or whale sharks. If you are a pro, no problem, you need it you rent it. But the average diver would probably still want the 9-18 for more everyday use, that's my guess. Considering the cost, it's something to weigh carefully.

Will see if I can get some 7mm shots this weekend... but that is some seriously wide angle view. Might be great for a whale, but not sure one really needs one that wide for general images.. three feet from the lens and everything is tiny.

Personal opinion: The 9-18 with the zen port is a real bargain compared to the others, costing say $1050. For the wider lenses you're looking at $700 + 800 for the 8mm lens and zen port, or $950 + 500 for the 7-14mm lens and zen port. If you are Bill Gates, get one of each.

These are wonderful optics, but from what I've read here, the wider you get the harder it is to compose a shot with the subject centered and minimal garbage in the background. You must get very close, and position carefully. The result is definitely wider, but you only need that for very huge subjects like wrecks or whale sharks. If you are a pro, no problem, you need it you rent it. But the average diver would probably still want the 9-18 for more everyday use, that's my guess. Considering the cost, it's something to weigh carefully.

My ZEN Port, INON S-2000, and focus light will arrive via UPS tomorrow. Hope to try out the Panny at 7mm with both D-2000 and S-2000 dual strobe setup this weekend. Of course, I'll be diving in a 20' at best visibility freshwater lake, so my pics aren't the same standard as you guys all post. With that said, Mammoth Lake has a C-130, F-5, numerous firetrucks, two buses, and a whole lot of boats under water. I'm hoping the wide lens and dual strobe is just what I need to get less backscatter.

My ZEN Port, INON S-2000, and focus light will arrive via UPS tomorrow. Hope to try out the Panny at 7mm with both D-2000 and S-2000 dual strobe setup this weekend. Of course, I'll be diving in a 20' at best visibility freshwater lake, so my pics aren't the same standard as you guys all post. With that said, Mammoth Lake has a C-130, F-5, numerous firetrucks, two buses, and a whole lot of boats under water. I'm hoping the wide lens and dual strobe is just what I need to get less backscatter.

I hope you don't need a strobe for those, because avoiding backscatter can be difficult, as you need the whole strobe to cover the field of view.

A C-130?? Firetrucks? I did see the skeletal remains you posted and wondered why they were not recovered, but then I remembered this is in Texas. I'm curious how so many military wrecks are in this lake, and have trouble imagining how firetrucks could get there too.

But how did your 7mm photos turn out? I know you have poor viz, so it should have helped. This is a place where a wide lens really is useful due to the poor viz.

Hey guys, all of the info above has been very helpful.

I am picking up my new E-PL2 Oly housing PT-EP03 rig tomorrow and I was wondering what the wide angle options are for the stock port. They state on line that the current port fits the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6.

Has anyone tried this set up before or know of anyone that has? I am looking to avoid the extra cost of adding another port so it would be good to know how others have used this set up.

Thanks,
Lee

Phil thanks for the link, that pretty much sums it up.

Looks like the port is a must for WA shots. The next question is which lens to get because the pan 7-18 might be a better choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom