Papua New Guinea vs Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

October 2014 for us, and again perfect weather with just one rainstorm.

Last edited:
PNG has been by far the best diving I've ever done in my life. I'm slightly biased, as we were on a expedition type sailing vessel (http://infinityexpedition.org) and dived some of the more remote parts.

I remember the first dive I did, somewhere in the Eastern Louisiades as we sailed in from Solomons. Me and my 2 buddies (all instructors) with a combined 5,000+ dives under our belt surfaced and were speechless and completely blown away. The
Of course the topside culture is great too, truly one of the last frontiers

Saying that, I feel Indonesia offers a great balance of easy access, competitive prices, and great diving. I would rate PNG higher, but Indo not that far behind but maybe a more attractive overall package.

For background my Indo diving has been working in Komodo, and diving around Bali. Not done RA yet...

@FindingMenno that was probably the fairest most direct answer to the Indo V PNG question I've heard. I did a similar reverse trip - Milne Bay to Solomons and any island in between on a private boat - forever chasing Amy.

I first did PNG back in the late 90's when Mike Ball still operated Paradise Sport in Milne Bay. I miss that lob, was epic.

I'm one of those who also generally prefers PNG. Much less crowded than anywhere in Indonesia, and is far more laid back. I do enjoy diving Indo, don't get me wrong, but I find it hard to relax there anymore because someone always seems to be in your face about something.

The worst thing about diving in PNG? That it forever creates an aching to go back!

The worst thing about diving in PNG? That it forever creates an aching to go back!

Equal Worst - being a sailing diver and having that awesome luxury of looking over the side and going...hmmm... :D

Equal Worst - being a sailing diver and having that awesome luxury of looking over the side and going...hmmm... :D

And being in the middle of nowhere, look at some sea charts, see some nice closely stacked contour lines. Grab some tanks, get the tender going and a few minutes later you might be the first one ever diving an amazing wall.... after that every house reef loses a bit of it's appeal!

Stopppp....am already googling around seeing who needs crew :bounce:

I think anyone who has ever lived this way will forever leave a little of themselves on the ocean..I crew on tall ships also, a whole other same same but very different feeling. I know exactly what you mean by house reefs never quite having that kick again after doing true exploration. I thoroughly enjoyed the vid you posted btw. Thanks and maybe will catch you full and bye one day somewhere at the edge of the world - have sent you a clip I think you may relate to.

@FindingMenno that was probably the fairest most direct answer to the Indo V PNG question I've heard. I did a similar reverse trip - Milne Bay to Solomons and any island in between on a private boat - forever chasing Amy.
lucky u

whats more nice solomon or png from marin life?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom