Papua New Guinea vs Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived Tufi. It's a mix of outer reef dives, and some easy muck diving (and a wreck!) in the inlet where the resort is. Mostly you go to the outer reef for 2 dives (different sites), then if you want to do a 3rd dive, you do it on the house reef in the afternoon. There's a wreck just off the house reef at about 47-48 meters, so they're not going to let you dive it unless you have some pretty significant experience. Worth a look though if you've done a bit of previous deep diving.

Pics from a trip over New Years 2014-15

thanks so much to choose from..lisenung as well... i think to choose a LOB

Are there budget / local dive options in PNG like there are in West Papua / Dampier Strait ?
I can get accommodation in RA for £15-20 full board and dives for £20-25 each, which is awesome bang for your buck, do those possibilities exist in PNG in the best spots ?

Are there budget / local dive options in PNG like there are in West Papua / Dampier Strait ?
I can get accommodation in RA for £15-20 full board and dives for £20-25 each, which is awesome bang for your buck, do those possibilities exist in PNG in the best spots ?
In RA?
Really?!
Please spill the beans :wink:

PNG is not a budget diving destination. The country in general is quite expensive to visit. So the answer is a pretty straight up: No.

Most of the tourism in PNG is by expat Australians who happen to spend time there for work. Predominantly in the mining industry. These expats are on hyper-inflated mining salaries. The cost of travelling in PNG is priced accordingly.

Furthermore, RA actually has competition. PNG does not. There is commonly only a single dive op in each dive location. They can and do charge whatever they want.

Ok, :-( what kind of prices are we talking and how does it compare to the Dampier strait ? I like big schools and big stuff.

There's wrecks, reefs, and critters. It's not part of the Indonesian throughflow current that brings the big stuff. Yes, you will see sharks and mantas if you go to PNG, but it's not like RA or Komodo.

Have a look here for a price guide. These guys are a very reliable booking agent for PNG dive trips in my experience.

Google is your friend. There's a lot of good info out there :)

I know what you like.
You will love this.
Money is just paper - I dunno, roughly double RA times by incredible memories divided by that tingle inside.

Go :)

Cheers wifey, that's quite a recommendation. Any other places I should consider in the same league ?
Socorro is on my to do list but that is pretty expensive and defo to do, but for land based diving, where else delivers like RA and PNG ?

Back
Top Bottom