Paralenz Vaquita 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got V1 and an older GoPro Hero 4 Session. The Paralenz takes awesome video in bright (daylight) blue or green water but is absolutely terrible in low light situations. The GoPro shines in that environment and seems to handle the low light and the transition from darkness to light much better. I tend to use the Paralenz for offshore ocean dives on either a camera tray or on the DPV and the GoPro for freshwater cave stuff on either the DPV or helmet mounted.

I wouldn't buy any Paralanez camera since they filed for bankruptcy just a few days ago, so no more firmware update, warranty got uncertain too. :(
As a Paralenz Vaquita owner with maybe hundred dives on it. DON't buy a Vaquita if you want "updates" or "apps" or even good images/video.

DO buy Vaquita if you want:
- get mediocre images/video in EVERY water condition. And I mean EVERY condition: that includes 2 dec C water with 1m visibility .
- camera you can operate with your eyes closed
- have a working camera on EVERY dive. When everybody left their camera: you will have your Vaquita because it just works.
- camera that only needs charging and an empty memory card
- if you want to NOT be a cameraman but instead enjoy your dive and take this ONE video where a turtle kisses and makes out with your buddy and nobody has their Canon EOS housing with 3 strobes with them
- camera that magically records on its own when fixed to your gear (head etc.)
- camera that works deep without worries
- camera that doesn't break even if hit between two alu cylinders on boat
... hope you get the idea ...

Vaquita has no stabilization and it has pretty bad dynamic range and it cannot focus closer than 30-50 cm. . But it takes practically zero attention in 1 atm or in 5 atm. no matter the conditions. And there WILL be a dive where you had a camera and nobody else did because Vaquita costs nothing to take with you.

PS: somebody else was asking about the mask mount: it looks good on paper but without image stabilization the videos will be pretty bad with that. Your mask strings WILL flex when you move your head. If you can attach it to your cavediving hard-hat it might work better or you will probably be happy with shaking video because alternative is no video at all.

As a Paralenz Vaquita owner with maybe hundred dives on it. DON't buy a Vaquita if you want "updates" or "apps" or even good images/video.

DO buy Vaquita if you want:
- get mediocre images/video in EVERY water condition. And I mean EVERY condition: that includes 2 dec C water with 1m visibility .
- camera you can operate with your eyes closed
- have a working camera on EVERY dive. When everybody left their camera: you will have your Vaquita because it just works.
- camera that only needs charging and an empty memory card
- if you want to NOT be a cameraman but instead enjoy your dive and take this ONE video where a turtle kisses and makes out with your buddy and nobody has their Canon EOS housing with 3 strobes with them
- camera that magically records on its own when fixed to your gear (head etc.)
- camera that works deep without worries
- camera that doesn't break even if hit between two alu cylinders on boat
... hope you get the idea ...

Vaquita has no stabilization and it has pretty bad dynamic range and it cannot focus closer than 30-50 cm. . But it takes practically zero attention in 1 atm or in 5 atm. no matter the conditions. And there WILL be a dive where you had a camera and nobody else did because Vaquita costs nothing to take with you.

PS: somebody else was asking about the mask mount: it looks good on paper but without image stabilization the videos will be pretty bad with that. Your mask strings WILL flex when you move your head. If you can attach it to your cavediving hard-hat it might work better or you will probably be happy with shaking video because alternative is no video at all.
Great write up. This is how I use the Vaquita, and the GoPro for that matter. Just a sturdy action camera to capture anything interesting during the dive without any necessary user input besides just turning it on to record. Don't expect good photos or cinema quality video from the Vaquita but it will capture what it is aimed at.

I've read a lot of disappointing reviews of the original Vaquita camera. Anyone have hands on experience with the new version? At first glance, it looks like a wider view, more light to the sensor and improved underwater color correction. But still having no image stabilization might be a deal breaker for me.
They filed for bankruptcy in October. Would not suggest buying one .no updates and will not have warranty or customer service

Hi Hi,

I just tested a brand new vaquita 2nd gen this week end. I bought it because I wanted a wide angle option when I go deep and to complement my macro setting for other dives in Philippines.
I must say it is easy to use compared to gopro. It does not include stabilization, but I do mind this, I am stable enough and there are heaps of editing software to fix this. DCC is cool, it fixes color pretty well. In case you need torch/video light, better switch to white auto balance (power menu, 3 short clicks) or manual balance (There is a manual balance, which is kind of cool). For the testing, I only went to 6-8m.
The quality is decent, I will need to dive with a gopro too to compare (maybe in mid Feb)
A couple of things you need to pay attention too:
  • The video starts on a very short push notice. So, pay attention where you store your vaquita.
  • To stop the video, press until the cam vibrates. a quick push will not do. You might end with a lot of undesired footage.
  • One mode behaves strangely: 4K. The angle narrows down to around 100 degrees... instead of 150 in all other modes. I am looking for a firmware update somewhere that would work around that. (any of you have a fix for this, I would very much appreciate this).
  • Temperature read 16.3 degrees celsius when my shearwater read 18 degrees celsius. I wonder which one was right.
Video is saved in 2 formats on your sd card: full res and lower res for preview, and a photo. That's cool for reviewing footage.
The app is not fully functional, only download and watch video log is available. Download via wifi is a pain. I guess the app service is down. I wish they could have maintained this. but ok, they bankrupt, we cannot expect so much. I prefer to connect my sd direct to my phone or computer. it is much faster using wifi on any product anyway.
Support website is down too, which is more annoying as you need to contact seller to get firmware, full manual, etc. it is okay so far where I bought it from.
I bought this cam in USA, dive right scuba , they claim they bought all the remaining stock and have a partner for support of the cam. They are quite reponsive when you have questions.

Yes, kudos to DRIS for supporting this platform. I filmed this week's dive in Grand Turk with my Gen 2. It's in post now, but the DCC- enhanced footage needs very little enhancement.

Yes, kudos to DRIS for supporting this platform. I filmed this week's dive in Grand Turk with my Gen 2. It's in post now, but the DCC- enhanced footage needs very little enhancement.
Can you post a sample when you get a chance? Thanks!

I just received the firmware update (22.32.21249). The 4K narrowing is still there.
A quick and dirty upload of an octopus at 5m with DCC on:

I did a bit of dehazing, no direct color correction and reduced size to upload fast. viz was 2-3m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom