Peacock Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do you think the present cave line system at Peacock is in accordance with the various cave training agencies line protocol and should it be returned to it's original status?

You mean move it back in out of pretty much the daylight zone? I think there is a meeting up there really soon again, not sure which day, might have been today or next saturday.

I think the line to OW is a good thing for the same reason it is at Devil's. There is SO much trafic though the area that having everyone tie off a primary reel would be a disaster. So much so infact that many people didn't run a reel at all which is far more dangerous.

Same deal with the gap at pothole a lot of people did a visual jump there because having 10 gap reels/spools tied in would be a mess.

JimC:
I think the line to OW is a good thing for the same reason it is at Devil's. There is SO much trafic though the area that having everyone tie off a primary reel would be a disaster. So much so infact that many people didn't run a reel at all which is far more dangerous.

Same deal with the gap at pothole a lot of people did a visual jump there because having 10 gap reels/spools tied in would be a mess.
They have moved the line in Devils back to the sign and along the floor rather than just inside on the wall. I guess i have seen the "after" at pothole then as there is no gap, but there is a T heading out to pothole from the mainline.

I've got mixed thoughts on it. I have seen the crevice just prior to the old start of the Pothole line look like a spider web which could be bad news. At the same time I see obvious issues with lines running to open water.

I haven't seen the spider webs at jumps and gaps and maybe where they used to be was a good place for intro divers to be turning anyway...maybe.

When in doubt I don't see any problem with making cave divers run lines...they're supposed to know how.

The Peacock system is different than at the devils mostly because there are no open water divers allowed at Peacock anymore. The lines were run out to their present location to make it easier for certified divers to dive them and to cut down on the impact on the system. If you have ever been in there on a heavy training weekend you know how many lines can be run at the same time, with the permenant line coming out like it does then a certified diver can just swim in knowing there will be a line when they come out. In training, divers still are required to run lines and they are required to dive different systems. So even if they only got to dive OG as another system they would still see how far back lines are run in most systems.

Bobby

OneBrightGator:
I'd like a copy of the letter that's stirring up all this silt.
If you would like to see the petition, it is up in GDI's thread on the UTC meeting at Itchenetucknee SP soon.

I can see putting the gold line further into the cave, away from OW/cavern, but will there be an advantage to removing the pothole T? Do people use that entrance? I guess that would be the end of the line for intro divers heading up the pothole line, or is it like the place in Telford i have heard of where its considered a cavern and as such you might be able to run a line across in the daylight zone. I dont know about the other proposed line change around the crossover tunnel, i have no idea where that is.

simbrooks:
If you would like to see the petition, it is up in GDI's thread on the UTC meeting at Itchenetucknee SP soon.

I can see putting the gold line further into the cave, away from OW/cavern, but will there be an advantage to removing the pothole T? Do people use that entrance? I guess that would be the end of the line for intro divers heading up the pothole line, or is it like the place in Telford i have heard of where its considered a cavern and as such you might be able to run a line across in the daylight zone. I dont know about the other proposed line change around the crossover tunnel, i have no idea where that is.

There's no daylight at pothole...at least not at the main line. Of course I don't remember much at leford either. The sinks can get pretty dark and it doesn't seem like an intro dive to me.

In general, I don't like T's and prefer jumps but T's are a fact of life in some caves so I don't care too much one way or the other.

MikeFerrara:
There's no daylight at pothole...at least not at the main line. Of course I don't remember much at leford either. The sinks can get pretty dark and it doesn't seem like an intro dive to me.

In general, I don't like T's and prefer jumps but T's are a fact of life in some caves so I don't care too much one way or the other.
I didnt really look around much beyond seeing the line when i passed over the T, hence the question. Just wondering how that would affect the range of my progress through that system if i came up to the end of a line - if the T goes, so does my onward route (for now).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom