Pearl River LA sand pit dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jester3891

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all Louisiana divers! I am thinking about diving a few old sand pits in the Pearl river area. These pits are owned by a friend of mines family and it does not look like they will have a problem with me diving them. It will be easy shore dive access and the best of all these pits have never been explored! The water is pretty much turquoise in color and vis should be pretty good at least I hope so. This dive would definately be a first for the inland south LA area and I just wanted to see if anyone would be willing to join me? If I have a few people who would like to then I will inquire with my buddy. More to come on this dive and I will post a google satallite image of the area soon. Hope to hear from some of you; have a great morning and happy diving!

Mike Jester

Gimme me a shout at diverecoveries@charter.net I have done a good bit of commercial work at Lafarge (Formerly TXI) at the P.R. Turnaround on I-59 over the years. I live right here and am always interested in seeing what is there. I have a canoe and a sidescan which is good to see if any old equipment in still there as there is sometimes in pre-dredge pits. It is also good to see the depth, pre-dive so you know what to expect. I have also done some of Lee Lowes old pits such as Eagle Lake. Mark

I don't know if this is what you were talking about, but this is the only blue water I could find.

sandpit.jpg

I don't know if this is what you were talking about, but this is the only blue water I could find.

sandpit.jpg

These (patch of five closest to the bottom) are commercial pits owned by Lafarge / formerly TXI. These are at the Pearl River Turnaround and the ones I have done, dive, work at since 2002. The few north of the five are pretty nasty.

If the pits used dredges 40' is the max they can dredge. If no dredge was used they could be as shallow as 8'. That is the standard around here. I am not sure about other places but our water table is shallow and too much to keep pumped so dredges come in when water rises.

Last edited:
The pits I am speaking of are in the isabel sun area off hwy 16 my friends grandfather owns just about all of them and they have not been worked in quite a few years; the one I am most intersted in the the bigger one closest to the hwy with the penensula on the southeast side. There are a few more we could try also. My friend told me there is one pond with equipment still at the bottom I will have to contact him to verify. Thanks for the posts and I will keep everyone posted tell me what you guys think about this area. We should be able to get tanks from coral reef dive shop in Slidell. Mark do you know anything more about the pits up by Isabel on hwy 16? I have to figure out how to take a snapshot ot the google map and then I will post it sorry for the delay on the map guys, but my comp is being a pain. Everyone have a great weekend!

Jason the pit I am speaking of is on the first map pic just southeast of the B marker it is the one witht the clear blue water with the peninsula shooting out into it on the south shore. Thanks for posting the maps man. I am game for any of the ponds really I am going to have to scout the area again to see which looks the most promising. I am open to ideas for this area as well. Let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom