Pearl River LA sand pit dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So this is the one. I only live about 45 mins away. If you would like to investigate or if want me to check it out to see if it is worth diving before you make that trip down from Shreveport, just let me know.

JestersSandpit.jpg

So this is the one. I only live about 45 mins away. If you would like to investigate or if want me to check it out to see if it is worth diving before you make that trip down from Shreveport, just let me know.

JestersSandpit.jpg

This is north of Pearl River between Sun La. and points west, toward Franklinton, on Hwy 16. Never dived those but I am in. I have wanted to but most are private. Count me in. Mark

The pits I am speaking of are in the isabel sun area off hwy 16 my friends grandfather owns just about all of them and they have not been worked in quite a few years; the one I am most intersted in the the bigger one closest to the hwy with the penensula on the southeast side. There are a few more we could try also. My friend told me there is one pond with equipment still at the bottom I will have to contact him to verify. Thanks for the posts and I will keep everyone posted tell me what you guys think about this area. We should be able to get tanks from coral reef dive shop in Slidell. Mark do you know anything more about the pits up by Isabel on hwy 16? I have to figure out how to take a snapshot ot the google map and then I will post it sorry for the delay on the map guys, but my comp is being a pain. Everyone have a great weekend!

My former cave partner owns Coral Reef and yes, you can get tanks there. Isabel is a good hour from here. If there is equipment, I will know fast. I will bring my canoe and side-scan sonar. We can spend a half hour scaning and marking any structure and then gear up and dive. As it is getting cooler expect 50ish degree temps below ten feet. I did work last year at a new Lafarge pit between Isabel and Franklinton behind the fire station and near a shooting area. The vis there was pretty decent for a pit. Most of those old pits have cleared as they are no longer mined. They do, however, dirty up fast and the clay stays suspended for sometime. If there is something to see the vis will seem better. I raised an old Willys jeep from 40' in a pit last year in Picayune Ms. Vis was great 10-20'.

Thanks for all the great posts guys I am really hoping to set a trip up for sometime in December I am in the Air Force reserves and have to work the trip around drill and a upcoming deployment so please bare with me. keep me posted about ya'lls plans and such. It will be great to get to know all of you.

Just curious but what does ya'lls schedule look like for December? I know Dec is kind of a weird month to go diving with Christmas and the cold weather but I'm hoping to make it down there in December before I go to the desert or feel the wrath from my family LOL. Everyone have a great night.

I work 12 hour shifts. Off every other weekend. One week I only work Wed /Thurs. The next I am only of Wed /Thurs. Every two weeks I switch from days to nights and then back. Throw a day or two my way. I should be able to make it. Best when there has been no rain for clarity. Mark diverecoveries@charter.net

I am in the hunt for a cold water suit and should have one by then. I am open for any weekend.

What are your dimensions? I have an old 2 pc 5 mil I can't wear any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom