Peeing in the suit has been discussed forever - now the old diver perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I peed in my suit for years until it started giving me a rash.
I bet the contents of urine changes as we age and things inside don't work as well as they used to...or maybe the things we eat and drink change.

there are 2 types of divers - those that pee in their wetsuits and those that lie about it

100%, also, the more hydrated you are, the less it will be an issue as there will be less urea in your urine. Stay ultra hydrated, pee away (you are in an ocean for goodness sake). Rinse well on the divedeck when you get back or even give your suit a quick wash under the divedeck shower with soap.

If you have a rinse tank/tub you can add some Sink the Stink and it will take care of it pronto. You could put some in a spray bottle and carry it for when you don't have a tank/tub. It really works well.

I bet the contents of urine changes as we age and things inside don't work as well as they used to...or maybe the things we eat and drink change.

That and our skin becomes more sensitive. In this case, I was in my early 30s spending 8+ hours/day in the suit on working dives. Freshwater onboard was limited so the suit wasn't washed except for dunking in saltwater.

The job ended, the rash went away, and I figured it was something in the water. I went on a recreational dive a few weeks later in a different ocean and it came back. I'm a slow learner and so it happened a few more times before I began suspecting the suit. I scrubbed the suit with an antibiotic soap and it was fine for a few dives (days of diving) until I peed in my wetsuit again (hot water suits excluded). I washed the suit again and have rarely peed in my suit since. A thorough wash and removing the suit after a dive when it was necessary appears to work. The rash/crotch rot has not returned in the decades since.

I have often thought that a small saltwater pump and hose on tropical dive boats would be a nice amenity for both genders. :)

You can ask your urologist about using a "clamp". Me, I'm old, it's my suit, I don't worry about it.

I am 72 so I understand.

Assuming that the water temp is at least 70 as I get ready to go up the ladder/walk ashore I open the neck of my wet suit and let a bunch of water flow in. Just hesitate for a minute on the way up to let it flush out the legs. Takes care of a lot of the urin smell.

I

I've thought of that-- somewhat expensive, no?

I dunno - I haven't done it cause I can make it thru 60 - 80 minute dives, just uncomfortable. I really want one in my dry suit though - local guy says to just wear depends....

I don't know if it's the ocean water or peeing but after a few days my suit would start stinking a bit - I'd soak it with something and it'd be better for a few days . If I didn't pee, it seemed to not smell as bad.......

Back
Top Bottom