Peeing in the suit has been discussed forever - now the old diver perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brings back memories of the old days. 6 guys in a cargo van at 2 am still wearing our wetsuits trying to stay warm after an opening night lobster dive - the ammonia force was strong my young padawan.

M

70 now, been dealing with the problem for over a decade....getting worse.....and worse....and worse and......you get the picture. I actually took indwelling catheters (not external condom caths) on my last couple trips to make sure I didn't end up with inability to urinate in a foreign land and a long way from medical care. Had a friend that happened to...not good.

Best advice I can give - GET IT FIXED! There are a myriad of procedures now. I had a Green Laser treatment a couple months ago. Should have done it 5 years ago, or at LEAST 2. I can pee again. I rarely have to get up more than once a night and often make it all the way through. I had some nights of 4-6x, with a very unsatisfactory and unproductive 10 minutes in the bathroom. It's worse at night.
Urgency is way down. Leakage just about non-existent now. Bladder is calming down after years of being stretched and abused.
The procedure is relatively easy, the awkwardness with a catheter after ~24 hours, and the pain minimal. Recovery to pretty decent in just a few days, to almost good in 2 weeks, and you will almost forgotten what it's like to not be able to pee in 2 months.
Get a good urologist that knows their tools and has a lot of experience with them.

Note - Kegel exercises are just about worthless for the more advanced form of this condition.

No, this will not fix the problem of peeing in your suit, but you can guzzle lots of water and dilute it without the awful consequences you've been having. You may even be able to get all the way through a dive. I haven't tested that in tropical waters yet but since my procedure I haven't had to use my drysuit Pee valve....much to my surprise.

Not in winter, I presume.

LOL.. well, not any time of year here. I was thinking down south. I don't own a northern wetsuit. That would be silly. ;-)

That is also why you want to put the relief zipper in horizontally. I paid 50$ for mine because I was already at Terrapin for alterations to my wife's Waterproof 5mil. Terrapin Wetsuits

+1 for Terrapin Wetsuits. Chris did a fantastic job installing wrist and ankle zips on my two Bare wetsuits. I am sure a relief zipper would not be a problem for her.

Thanks for all the comments
Thinking about the uro lift procedure and will contact Terrapin. They have made a few great neoprene covers for my camera and ports

( side note: by the way the green laser is best for very large glands. The uro lift for moderate size to smaller glands with significant symptoms)

Hi
Someone has already noted it but one of the best "device" is really the pissette.
Spearfishing divers who spend hours in the water are often using this system.
It can be folded with a velcro on the side and that way no need to hold your pseudo manhood in the open as seen on most of the pic posted on the web:wink:
You can also use the braca concept.

Hi
Someone has already noted it but one of the best "device" is really the pissette.
Spearfishing divers who spend hours in the water are often using this system.
It can be folded with a velcro on the side and that way no need to hold your pseudo manhood in the open as seen on most of the pic posted on the web:wink:
You can also use the braca concept.

After looking a pics of the noted pissette, I'd rather piss in my wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom