People get ready, there's a storm a comin'...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, be careful!!!!!
Hope everything would be ok.
BTW do you know why hurricanes have feminine names?
It's like a woman - takes everything from you - house, car and things you love :D

People get ready, there's a storm a comin'...
There is?
Looks sunny and clear from my window.
What storm?
Gotta love the PNW:
No problem with poison bugs or snakes, bears or alligators, freezing cold/boiling heat, hurricanes with names, ect. ect.
And best of all...
Divers are at the top of the food chain. :D

Seriously... hope you folks fare well... but I suppose ya'll are use to it by now.

40 mph winds and 12' seas... good for surfing, bad for diving. Oh well I am working midnights this weekend.. I don't care blow blow blow... rain rain rain..knock some more treasure lose from the 200 year old hiding places and let me find some.. anything.. even a 200 year old spoon.

Eric

They are talking about closing our schools on Friday because of the Storm coming. I don't know as of yet if they will close them or not. I may be assigned a storm shelter?

Hoot:
I'm diving on Sat in WPB ... What do you guys think the conditions will be like on sat?

the forecast calls for very rough seas for tomorrow,
so i would probably guess that the visibility will be shot
to crap for a few days after that.

looks like the seas will settle down a little on Saturday, though i wouldn't want to dive on 4-6 seas myself.

if i may, it's better to be on land wishing you were on a
dive boat than being on a dive boat wishing
you were on land.

Friday

Winds southeast to south 25 to 30 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. Intracoastal waters rough. Numerous showers and thunderstorms with gusty winds.

Friday Night

Winds southeast to south 20 to 25 knots with gusts to around 40 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Numerous showers and thunderstorms with gusty winds then scattered showers and thunderstorms with gusty winds after midnight.

Saturday

Winds south 10 to 15 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Scattered thunderstorms with gusty winds.

Orlando Eric:
For those of you who have never dove in high seas (12') and a 9 knot current it is very taxing on the system and requires ALOt of skill and overall is not really worth the experience.

heck, diving in 6-8 with only a 3 knot current (guesstimate) nearly killed me. i wouldn't do it again.

Evacuation requests have gone out for 800,000 Florida residents and tourists along coastal areas from the Florida Keys to Tampa Bay:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=4&u=/ap/tropical_weather

Charlie continues to strengthen:

CHARLEY HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED AND HAS
STRENGTHENED. WINDS WERE 83 KT IN THE SOUTHEAST QUADRANT. BASED ON THIS INFORMATION AND EARLIER RECON WIND REPORTS INDICATING NEAR 80 KT
SURFACE WINDS...THE ADVISORY INTENSITY HAS BEEN INCREASED TO 80 KT.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT3+shtml/121519.shtml?

current position:

AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...INFORMATION FROM ECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT AND RADARS FROM CUBA INDICATE THE CENTER OF HURRICANE CHARLEY WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 20.4 NORTH... LONGITUDE 81.5 WEST OR ABOUT 190 MILES... 305 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF HAVANA CUBA.

CHARLEY IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 17 MPH...28 KM/HR. A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...CHARLEY IS EXPECTED TO
PASS OVER OR JUST EAST OF THE ISLE OF YOUTH TONIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS RECENTLY REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT ARE NEAR 105 MPH...165 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THIS MAKES CHARLEY A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND CHARLEY COULD BECOME A CATEGORY THREE OR MAJOR HURRICANE BEFORE IT MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE SOUTH COAST OF CUBA.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/121742.shtml?

Pug,

I know you have those carnivorous tree climbing octopies out your way. You ought to be careful!!!

BTW, the last BIG hurricane to hit Orlando was back in 64... went by the name of Donna, which is also my wife's name! :D

But Charley??? It shoulda been named Clyde! As in Bonnie and Clyde! :D

H2Andy:
Friday
Winds southeast to south 25 to 30 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. Intracoastal waters rough. Numerous showers and thunderstorms with gusty winds. .

Friday

Sleep late, eat big breakfast drive to Tulum for a cave dive with Swedish redhead.

H2Andy:
Friday Night

Winds southeast to south 20 to 25 knots with gusts to around 40 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Numerous showers and thunderstorms with gusty winds then scattered showers and thunderstorms with gusty winds after midnight.

Friday Night

Stop in Akumal, or Playa del Carmen for huge seafood meal on romantic moonlit beach.

H2Andy:
Saturday

Winds south 10 to 15 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Scattered thunderstorms with gusty winds.

Saturday

go to work late and post trip report on SB.

. Sorry Andy, just trying to lighten the mood now the thing seems to headed away from me and I realised it is only just a cat 2!

well, i sort of know what you mean. my wife's six cats do more damage when
they're bored than a category 2 hurricane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom