People not fit to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do a lot of dives without fins so what's the problem?

Gary D.

I got started in SCUBA when I said, "I've got half a mind to take up SCUBA diving."

I don't think my mind has improved with age.

I am not as fit now as I was 40 years ago. I find myself letting some of the young firemen drag the heavy hoses while I handle the radio. A man has to know his limitations. I do and live within those limitations quite nicely.

Age is relative. The OP stated the diver was, I believe, "senior"? I'd be curious as to the approximate age of the diver in question relative to the age of the OP.

Three years ago I was diving out of John Pennekamp Park. The boat had several single divers, including myself. One man looked around 70 (actually 73 at the time). When it came time to pair up with a dive buddy, I got "stuck" with the old geezer. We introduced oursleves, got our equipment on, checked each others equipment (he found that I had left my sunglasses slung over my tank) and sloooooowly headed to the stern of the boat. He was slow to submerge and even slower moving around the coral. What a drag dive this was going to be.

Well, a funny thing happened. I accepted the fact that it was going to be a slow pace and started looking at my surroundings more closely. He pointed out several micros that I would have normally missed. Turned out that in my haste to see everything, I had been missing the best things.

Once back on board, we talked non-stop about all the places he had been, Red Sea, Philipines, ABC, Honduras...... He turned out to be the best dive partner I have ever had and changed the way I now dive. Now, when it's time to pair-up, I always look to see if there are any geezers onboard.

I hope to live long enough to have to quit diving.

I really don't see myself quitting as much as becoming more selective about the sites and conditions I will take on. I'm not sure how much longer I will be going to the Flower Gardens. So far I have never skipped a dive because of the seas but I'm sure it won't be long before good sense catches up with me.

I've seen some pretty good looking lifts at pools to accommodate folks with limited mobility. Maybe they would put some in at places like Buddy Dive in Bonaire if there is enough demand.

Hi i was a good diver ...then I had car accident.broke my leg and both ankles ,my pelvis , 10 ribs and 2 vertabraes in my back ..had a rough year of recovery...before accident i swam alcatraz and competetd in triatholons I was strong...so 1 year latter im all better ..swimming 1000 yrds ...i think im fit to dive...wrong i put on all my gear ..steal 80 tank on my back ...walked wobbely down to the shore got in and couldnt dive i was flipping over...wasnt strong enough to keep upright...that was rude awakining for me...i got so weak from all the broken bones...just because you can swim the 200 yrds doesnt mean you can dive...Im working out with weights trying to stregnth my left side ...my body got off balance from favoring my right side..hopefully I can get strong again to dive...i so miss diving...

At what point do you quit?

Ops want the dough associated with clients (especially in a slow economy) and so may choose "easier" dives to keep them safer.

At what point do they say it's not worth the risk? And do so diplomatically?
[/QUOTE]

You actually have a couple of questions here and there was one that most responders didn't address. Sure, none of us want to quit doing something we enjoy so much until we're just not able to do it anymore - whenever and however "we" determine that to be. I think your other point was when does an operator have an obligation to refuse services to someone because of their perceived infirmities or limitations. Who are they to judge and how, and by what standards, do they make that judgement. Given the litigous nature of our society, anyone can bring ruin to an operator by placing blame on the operator for allowing that poor victim to hurt him or herself with the services they provide. Any good lawyer will saw through that "hold harmless" waiver you sign before boarding with a buzz saw and the operator can easily be held, at least in part, responsible for anything that happens to anyone on the boat, pier or in the water, even afterwards. But if nothing has happened yet, there is only an appearance of what "might" happen based on some observation then how do you make that determination, and by what standard or set of rules? You really can't apply any to every person or to every situation. There are simply none. Further, unless there are and unless you are religious in applying them to everyone you could be accused of "discrimination" for refusing services to someone. (this is why we should shoot all the lawyers) So - my put is you really can't unless you can prove - in court - that you're being fair, even-handed and acted within some recognized standard and that, to my knowledge, just doesn't exist. And, if you can't then, just like anyone who gets out of bed in the morning, it's a purely subjective matter of how much risk you're willing to take that day. Operators who have steak and eggs for breakfast are probably more likely to take on more risk than those who have granola - how's that?

hopefully I can get strong again to dive...i so miss diving...

Best wishes for your speedy rehab.

Richard

Last edited:
Remember that all divers are responsible for their own actions and that as long as no danger comes to others due to your abilities diving, you should be free to do as you please (as long as you know the risk you are taking).

Also, diving has elements that make it a wonderful hobby for people who are infirm or otherwise "handicapped" with mobility issues. For some it may be the only way to have free mobility. Even people who are overweight and limited from activities like biking or running can feel comfortable in the water. Joints are not as strained and may be more comfortable in water.

All of us have parts that make us hard to dive with (mostly personalities) and we need to be patient if we dive together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom