Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to diving. Spend your money on dive education and get an entry level computer for now. Once you become familiar with it and are comfortable diving in various conditions, save up for that Petrel.

There are a bunch.

If you don't think I have been more transparent than most in the dive industry, read thru the last 12 years of my posts.

Ok, I will be sharing more and more of the Deep 6 plan as time goes on and we start selling.

Everything I have read by you appears to be straight forward and on the up and up. You are/were affiliated with Hog also, correct? I think so and I think thats where I got the Atlanta connection. Either way, I would support you just cause you are in/from the Peach state! (Born and raised here)

Welcome to diving. Spend your money on dive education and get an entry level computer for now. Once you become familiar with it and are comfortable diving in various conditions, save up for that Petrel.
Lol already got the petrel. I cant afford to continue to buy gear constantly. I have some technical diver friends so I will be diving more with technical minded people. I really have no interest in rec diving.

Once gain, that's not entirely true and "maim" is way too strong a word. A Predator or Petrel will give you ample warning with red or flashing amber messages indicating that you are doing something stupid and it will in many cases require you to acknowledge that act of stupidity.

What you say is true enough, however the warnings are very subtle and a new diver who isn't disciplined and checking the Petral regularly, could easily be in violation of any one of number of things and not be aware of it. The lack of audible alarms is what I was referring to. Flashing coloured backgrounds only work if someone knows enough to look at them AND to understand what they mean AND what to do to fix the problem.

And as you have pointed out, it doesn't lock a guy out after violation, nor does it default back over night. I guess I was just thinking that a new diver may not have the discipline or knowledge to be certain to "prep" the computer properly. Of course it can be learned easily enough, but in a new diver that's potentially dealing with a bunch of "stuff" already, some of these things could be overlooked...

I am as big a fan of Shearwater as anyone. I think everyone should have one, but they do need a certain amount of knowledge and skill to use properly.

What you say is true enough, however the warnings are very subtle and a new diver who isn't disciplined and checking the Petral regularly, could easily be in violation of any one of number of things and not be aware of it.
A new diver should not even get near those boundaries. By the time he does, checking air and DC should be normal parctice.

AJ
You would not be referring to new divers staying with in the RECOMMENDED max depth of 60 ft would you?????? I would also guess that if he was diving with other divers with audible alarms that when they go off you will check your's.

AJ:
A new diver should not even get near those boundaries. By the time he does, checking air and DC should be normal parctice.

I'll put it in an other way: if you don't have enough awarenes while diving (buddy position, actual depth, gas use and remaining, etc.), you should not go deep anyway. Maybe you should not be diving at all if that's the case, but practice your skills some more. IMHO no one should be needing a audible alarm to know something is wrong :wink:

Was thinking either HOG zenneith or apeks XTX50. I will probably not be diving much in Florida. I just meant diving season is over here in NC and if I wanted to dive anytime soon I would have to go to Florida. I should for sure have a regulator within the next couple months. Before it cranks up around here anyway.
Personally, I would wait for the Deep 6 regs to come out. Should be January from what I understand. If nothing else, we may start seeing some deep discounts on HOG.

The lack of audible alarms is what I was referring to.

My PDC has audible alarms. At least the manual says so. So far I have absolutely no idea of whether or not it ever has beeped me. When you're wearing 7-10 mils of neoprene on your head, you basically hear nada.

Trusting an audible alarm to tell you that you have screwed up or is in the process of screwing up is, IMO, dangerous. You have to take responsibility and monitor your computer anyway, audible alarms or not.

I believe I will only be diving in a quarry mostly next year. I am going to go get a sidemount cavern certification with Edd probably towards the end of next but the quarry I dive only goes to 60 feet max. I wont have much time for fancy trips or big dives. I will probably do a couple dives off the Carolina coast but not often. I have a baby coming so I will be saving my money and just working on skills in the quarry for the most part....That doesn't bother me though. Cant hurt to work skills in low viz situations for a year. As far as the deep 6 goes. I may be interested if the price was right. Being that its new though I might would still go hog or dive rite due to their reputation in the community. That said if the price was right that would for sure persuade me. I am new to diving so I cant afford to go buy gear that I may or may not have to replace within a few months or year.

Back
Top Bottom