Philippines aorund new year 2018/2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well thanks again to all of you. A friend just came back from Puerto Galera and told us that basically all the drives are with current. I am not afraid of a bit of a current, but I do not like when all of them are under such conditions, also because I like to take it slow to take photos. Looking at the dives in different diving websites I didn't realized they will be all like that, so now I'm a bit doubtful because of that.

If you want some other divers to dive with at Anilao with good DM etc please pm and i’ll Give you my contact there.

Well thanks again to all of you. A friend just came back from Puerto Galera and told us that basically all the drives are with current. I am not afraid of a bit of a current, but I do not like when all of them are under such conditions, also because I like to take it slow to take photos. Looking at the dives in different diving websites I didn't realized they will be all like that, so now I'm a bit doubtful because of that.
Really? I just dived in Puerto Galera last month for a few days--out of six dives only one in front of Sabang had any current and that wasn't much--it never interfered with my taking photos at all. There are also dives in Puerto Galera Harbor for macro that has no current at all. Now Verde Islands is a whole different animal--everyone going there is expecting strong currents. Diving in front of Dauin (Dumaguete) has little to no current--I think out of 13 dives there we did one dive that had current and we were told about it before we even went to the site--it wasn't much. A few dive sites at Apo Island have pretty strong currents-- Coconut and Cogan---the rest of the sites have very little to no currents at all.

Well thanks again to all of you. A friend just came back from Puerto Galera and told us that basically all the drives are with current.
That is new to me!
I must admit tide table is NOT very accurate but there is always "slack tide" even during the full/new moon period if planned ahead.

I dove out of Atlantis Puerto Galera in Feb 2016, and would agree that most of the dives had some current. At that time I only had 11 dives under my belt - just enough to do the Open Water and Advanced OW. I only remember a couple dives that I was annoyed with the amount of current since being new to diving I wasn't able to control my speed as well as others. I wasn't trying to take macro photos at that time though - maybe that would be different. The Canyons dive there was easily most of our favorite!

I dove out of Atlantis Puerto Galera in Feb 2016, and would agree that most of the dives had some current. At that time I only had 11 dives under my belt - just enough to do the Open Water and Advanced OW. I only remember a couple dives that I was annoyed with the amount of current since being new to diving I wasn't able to control my speed as well as others. I wasn't trying to take macro photos at that time though - maybe that would be different. The Canyons dive there was easily most of our favorite!
I am really surprised that Atlantis will take inexperienced divers to dive Canyons!

I am really surprised that Atlantis will take inexperienced divers to dive Canyons!

Canyons wasn't that bad - we did that dive 3 times, but they didn't take us there until we had all done probably 15 dives in other locations with them. There was more current on some of the adjacent, shallower dive sites.

This is us, I'm in pink. This is either my 27th or 30th dive, and I've long since learned to keep my hands still, haha! My buddy is the guy with the re-breather. You can see in the video there is a bit of a current. It was just a tad too strong to swim against (if wanting to go back to look at something).

Last edited:
The current was pretty mild by Canyon's standard!
You were on "flood tide" ie. high tide. If the current was strong, you would had shoot through the Hole in the Wall in no time at all. On your final ascent from the 'anchor" the exhaust went straight up not side way.
I had experienced a lot worst diving Canyons eg. down current on the ascend.

The current was pretty mild by Canyon's standard!
You were on "flood tide" ie. high tide. If the current was strong, you would had shoot through the Hole in the Wall in no time at all. On your final ascent from the 'anchor" the exhaust went straight up not side way.
I had experienced a lot worst diving Canyons eg. down current on the ascend.

I guess we had good timing on the tide tables. :)

The current on the wall at Verde Island was a different story - hang onto your cowboy hats! :shocked: Us green divers definitely should not have been on that wall.

The current on the wall at Verde Island was a different story - hang onto your cowboy hats! :shocked: Us green divers definitely should not have been on that wall.
The condition in that Pinnacle is unpredictable and YES inexperienced divers should have never been brought there. Unfortunately......one diver lost his life few wks ago there!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom