Philippines or Sipidan?? Must decide.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello - In December I have three weeks to kill.

I've decided either on the Philippines (Malapascua Island, Bohol and Dumagetti) or Moboal and Sipidan, Borneo.

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which location to visit. Several forum comments on various threads have stated that in December the operators will be busy moving back to Moboal and as such service, etc may not be a good as in the past at Sipidan. In contrast the vizibility in the Philippines during December appears to be quite poor (30 feet)! - not too mention coolish water at average 25 Celcius

Any quick comments from people who have been to both locations would be appreciated - as it may help my indecision......

I have to make my mind up in a day or so to secure flight bookings. Thanks............Iain & Jolanda

Is this even a question? The talk about operators being too busy moving off Sipadan island, while maybe (and i stress maybe) true, is just speculation at this point. Sure there may be some inconviencies here and there but are they gonna take your money leave you empty tanked? Who knows maybe there won't be any decline in service. You already know what you gonna get in the Philipines in December. I'd opt for a chance at world class diving vs. guaranteed poor viz diving.

slee416:
Is this even a question? The talk about operators being too busy moving off Sipadan island, while maybe (and i stress maybe) true, is just speculation at this point. Sure there may be some inconviencies here and there but are they gonna take your money leave you empty tanked? Who knows maybe there won't be any decline in service. You already know what you gonna get in the Philipines in December. I'd opt for a chance at world class diving vs. guaranteed poor viz diving.
Actually, I have been trying to get a reply ftom Borneo Divers for a week now and they never reply to my e-mails....It becomes difficult when operators don't reply to your mail. The travel agebnt I usually book with told me it was pretty hectic in December and is also finding it really difficult to get me a decent flight with time on the island for diving! Ah the stress of it all - guess I should not be unhappy as I am going somewhere! Cheers

I spent two months in the Philippines this year as well as time on Mabul/Sipadan. First, I would stay on Mabul vice Sipadan. I like small and large stuff and you get the small stuff on Mabul and the sharks/fish/turtles on Sipadan. It was a 20 minute boat ride. I stayed with SMART on Mabul.

Philippines. I favor Dumaguete (for Apo Island). I liked Alona Beach. Moalboal was OK for Pescador Island but everything else in the area was pretty limited. I liked Cabilao Island.

DontLieToMe:
As you might have read Puerto Galera is good and I have also enjoyed Anilao.
Thanks for your comments. We are having hassles getting flights to Sipadan and the it seems we will only have a week and a bit in the area because of flight bookings - not much time in reality! We've decided that we would also like to do Layang Layang as well as Mabul and Sipidan. Layang Layang is not open in December, so it looks as if the Philippines will be the go and we'll do Borneo later in 2005.

When I finalise my booking I'd ilke to have a chat regarding your experiences- if they were fairly recent. OK if I send you some private mail in a few days or so? Iain

Iain,

In fact when I went to Mabul/Sipadan I also went to Layang Layang. My trip was this year in March 2004. You are more than welcome to send a private email. I am heading out to Indonesia for a two month trip in a few days and will be off-line most of the time.

Actually, I have been trying to get a reply ftom Borneo Divers for a week now and they never reply to my e-mails
A couple of months ago they were always prompt in replying to my emails. However, after several emails I realized that they never bother answer my question about if they are going to be there at the end of the year. They just side stepped the question, and tried to sell me the trip. Smelled fishy!...so I dropped the idea of a trip there.

Gussy - Iain here (thread starter). I finally did receive a reply from Borneo Divers. They did not answer any of my questions and said lots of maybe this and maybe that. I then e-mailed smart divers and they covered off all my questions. I certainly will not be using Borneo Divers, but this does not mean they are a bad operator - it only proves they are bad at e-mail administration. I've decided to dive the Philippines and dive Layang Layang, Sidipan and Mobul later on during the better season. I'll miss out on staying at Sipidan - but oh well that's life. I'd prefer three weeks in Philippines than 1 week in Sipidan (flights are really bad for me during december for some reason or another). Take care....Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom