Phone Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
My cell phone is not going to work in Mexico, so ......

When I get to Cancun, where do I buy the phone card? What are the mechanics of using it? Can I call Cozumel numbers on it from Cancun? What type of phone do I need to look for?

Any other hints that people have would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Hagelin

Just FYI ~ there are tons of calling stations here on the island in case you don't want to fool around with prepaid cards and the rates are very reasonable. Also, here very soon you can call back to the USA for free here in the cozumelinsider office. This is a special offer to those who reserve vacation rentals, tours, diving, etc thur our office. So don't sweat the phone cards ~ calling back home is getting much easier!! Have fun and enjoy your time in Cozumel!!

Actually, my first concern is calling my dive op when I arrive in Cancun (I'm traveling standby so will need to let them know that I arrived and will be diving the next morning). Is it best to use a Telmex card to make that call? Call from any phone? What's best?

Next concern is calling from hotel back home to US. Telmex card best for that?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

I saw the post above with the link to the TelMex Card site. Looks like you buy a virtual card and they email it to you with a pin number, etc. Has anyone used one of these in say the last 6 months? Do they work from the payphones in Cozumel??? Thanks!

I guess we usually look for telmex payphones and use our Sam's club AT&T Calling card, find out what at&t's access number is before you go. My cell phone (verizon) worked in Mexico to call IN mexico but didn't get back to the states.. funny story- when I called a u.s. support number from mexico, I get this gal on the phone that tells me, no, you can't call to the u.s. from Mexico, it won't work. I ask where are you? and she tells me she's in colorado or something. Hey, I thought you said I couldn't call the states??? before leaving on the trip, a verizon wireless rep had told me my phone was going to work in mexico to call the states.. the only time it did was when I connected with the gal in colorado.

holdingmybreath:
I guess we usually look for telmex payphones and use our Sam's club AT&T Calling card, find out what at&t's access number is before you go. My cell phone (verizon) worked in Mexico to call IN mexico but didn't get back to the states.. funny story- when I called a u.s. support number from mexico, I get this gal on the phone that tells me, no, you can't call to the u.s. from Mexico, it won't work. I ask where are you? and she tells me she's in colorado or something. Hey, I thought you said I couldn't call the states??? before leaving on the trip, a verizon wireless rep had told me my phone was going to work in mexico to call the states.. the only time it did was when I connected with the gal in colorado.

My girl's AT&T phone worked last year but I had to go into the preferences to "force" the phone to go into roaming... i wish i could be a little more explicit but we don't have the phone anymore.

for the record, my US Cellular phone did not work no matter what I tried.

d56nut:
I saw the post above with the link to the TelMex Card site. Looks like you buy a virtual card and they email it to you with a pin number, etc. /QUOTE]

They will also send the card in the mail... never used one but was thinking about it.

Supposedly they will work at any pay phone

richhagelin:
My cell phone is not going to work in Mexico, so ......

When I get to Cancun, where do I buy the phone card? What are the mechanics of using it? Can I call Cozumel numbers on it from Cancun? What type of phone do I need to look for?

Any other hints that people have would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Hagelin

You can buy the Telmex phone card at virtually any pharmacy and lots of tiendas in Mexico. I remember buying one from a snack bar in the Cancun airport once. Ask for a LADA card. Once you have your card, it works like any other phone card but you must use it at a TelMex pay phone. To dail long distance within Mexico dial 01 then the area code (to call from Cancun to Cozumel beginning with 01 987 872-xxxx) To call the US from Mexico, dial 001 then the area code and number (without an additional 1 to start.)

Jk
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

You can use AT&T prepaid cards from the US from just about any payphone by dialing the number on the back. MCI prepaids work on phones marked Ladatel, but not Telmex They are alot cheaper per minute than the TelMex cards.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom