Photo Editing Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing is WRONG with Gimp, but many of my most useful plugins don't work and you have to be a bit of a UNIX nerd to figure out where stuff is, like the plugins and the ICC profiles and the printer drivers.

I agree it is a little difficult to find stuff if you are used to another program. I've used Photoshop CS2 for years and having only started using GIMP and it has been a little frustrating finding where functions are, but there is only one way to over come that!

If you are not used to any particular program then it won't be a problem and, as stated before, GIMP has a major advantage over everything else suggested and that is it is completely free which is fantastic unless of course you have several hundred dollars you need to be separated from!

Lightroom is strictly photo editing dedicated software. PS has a lot of robust features for other types of applications, like preparing graphics for web or print advertising.

I hated Aperture because the naming conventions and files systems are stagnant and my mind doesn't work the way the developers minds do. I bought it when I bought my first MacBook and it was a total waste of $ for me. I didn't like iPhoto for the same reasons.

I'm no expert, by any measure. I started using photoshop 7 about 5 years ago have just upgraded to CS5. I cannot speak for other programs, but I've found there's a tremendous wealth of knowledge & help available from co-users of photoshop.

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom