Pics just no good unless close up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an update to this post...I have been using my 5050 on manual (well, actually My Mode, with a few different manual settings) and am finally getting shots with the kind of colour that I want. (I'm also getting lots that are no good as I learn to use/adjust manual settings...) My eyesight isn't what it once was so am having trouble seeing in the monitor how things are turning out. Looking forward to buying the new son of 5050 when I get back to Canada from Mexico. I haven't done the synch cord thing for that very reason also (can't get one here in Cozumel and too much trouble/cost to ship one here). Here's a shot I took a couple of days ago of a harlequin pipefish. I had the PTMC-01 lens on and used the internal flash. Also a turtle that happened by overhead. Same lens! :D P1010041.jpg

P1010014 (2).jpg

I have been looking into this problem of poor flash performance with the UFL-1.

You need the fiber cord. That's the best way to get a clean signal to the flash. It's supposed to have good syncing with Olympus cameras, meaning it's fast enough, but it has to get a strong light pulse to trigger. The way to do that is funnel the light to it with a fiber cord.

I can't believe the prices on fiber cords made by Olympus and Sea&Sea. List is $80-120!!! There is a little inexpensive fiber cord made by 10bar that should do the job for your Olympus C5050. They should have it at Optical Oceans, but Jack is on vacation 3/1-3/10.

If you can't wait, there is a similar fiber cord by Intova (PX-35), sold a lot of places (first thumbnail):
Search Results

If you later buy the latest Olympus PT-050 Housing for the Olympus XZ-1, this won't exactly fit your camera housing. It's meant for cameras that don't have a connector for fiber, but the PT-050 does have one I think. You can either jam fit a TOS Link audio cable ($5) into the fiber connectors, or spend the bucks for the very nice L cable from Sea&Sea at $65 (second thumbnail below):
Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Sync Cable L-Type SS-50107 B&H Photo Video

Attachments

• Intova Fiber Cable PX-35.jpg
    Intova Fiber Cable PX-35.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Sea&Sea L Fiber Cable.jpg
    Sea&Sea L Fiber Cable.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions: MMM
I have been looking into this problem of poor flash performance with the UFL-1.

Well, I fixed that problem earlier this week by flooding it. Now I need a new strobe. :D

Well, I fixed that problem earlier this week by flooding it. Now I need a new strobe. :D

Oh, my, Calamity Marg. Is it just the battery compartment that flooded? Often you can dry it out and reload. Or the main housing?

Oh, my, Calamity Marg. Is it just the battery compartment that flooded? Often you can dry it out and reload. Or the main housing?

I'm not sure. It is sitting on my kitchen counter right now drying out. It's rusted as I didn't notice it was flooded when I rinsed it after use and just left the batteries in until I changed them for the next dive. I plan to try and clean it up today and see if it works. If not, oh well. I wanted something a bit better anyways.....

Hi Marg,

These two strobes would be my choice for replacement.

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe [ino.456212143211] - $469.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Sea & Sea YS-01 DS-TTL Strobe with LED Target Light [ss.03112] - $429.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

I will be headed to Cozumel Apl. 16-23 for the below listed workshop, would be happy to bring a new strobe along for you. I am close to ReefPhoto and would be able to pick it up if you make arrangements.

I will be teaching another underwater photography workshop with MexicanDiver.com in Cozumel Mexico April 16 to 23, 2011. This is a great oppertunity for Olympus users to meet and learn more about all aspects of underwater photography. You can contact me direct at philrudin@me.com or follow the attached link for more information. Look for the Underwater Digital Fiesta $619.00 pp banner and link for more details.

Mexicandiver Magazine

Phil Rudin began taking photographs underwater while he was in the U.S. Navy in 1968. He is now a freelance writer/travel photographer, Senior Photographer for Dive Chronicles magazine and DC Dive Shows. As past President of the South Florida Underwater Photography Society, Phil has served on the Board of Directors for over eighteen years and enjoys the diverse makeup of the club membership. Phil is retired from the West Palm Beach Florida Police Department where he served as Dive Team Commander for the city. With thirty years experience as a public safety diver and dive team manager Phil has done over five hundred recovery dives during his carrier. Phil has recovered vehicles, aircraft, evidence, bodies and more. Other dive team duties included hull inspections of large commercial vessels, underwater crime scene management, crime scene photography, collection of evidence, training and more. Phil has also traveled extensively throughout the world to pursue his passion for underwater photography. His images have appeared in magazines such as Popular Science, Reflections, Scuba Diving Magazine, Underwater Journal, Skin Diver, Florida Underwater, South Florida Adventures, Waterways, The Sun, Dive Chronicles, Underwater Photography Magazine and others. Phil also lectures on travel destinations, public safety diving and photography around the country. He also teaches at digital seminars in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, St Croix and the US.

Attachments

• Flyer_Cozumel_Trip-OFFIAL.jpg
    Flyer_Cozumel_Trip-OFFIAL.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 31
Reef Photo was where I purchased the kaput strobe. Thanks very, very much for the offer but I will be returning to Canada at the end of March. Would have loved to have enrolled in your class also. Some other time, OK? I am going to treat myself for my birthday in June and buy myself a big honkin' new set up. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom